1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reactions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Anonymous, Jul 17, 2005.

1. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

Had similar experience just an hour ago. Took my daughter to get glasses, the owner of the glass store was very interested to learn all about the car. When we were all done he took an extra $50 off the bill for me.

2. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have had only one person ask, at a Wal-mart parking lot, but they didnt' spend much time looking. Several people I knew where really interested in riding in it, but not like strangers coming up to you. I have to admit, I'm kinda disappointed cause I am really proud of it!

Could be something about being in Texas though with all of the trucks and SUV's that think they own the road.

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Although a few guys here in Winnipeg have asked me detailed questions - usually at mall parking lots after I determined they weren't trying to carjack me - I mostly have middle-aged lonely housewives hanging around the car.

That or boys, which I find downright creepy.

I really don't understand the lonely middle-aged housewife thing. They could care less about the technology, just want to spend time in the car and with me. Then one thing leads to another ...

Although I always complain about it, maybe it's a *good* thing the Canadian government has all but disarmed the civilian population. Otherwise I'd have been gunned down by a jealous husband soon after I took delivery of my Prius!

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(agc96\";p=\"108100)</div>
    Hmmmm either that or he was trying to hit on you ...

5. dreichla

dreichla New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kirbinster\";p=\"108359)</div>
    Who says this car doesn't pay for itself?!!

6. lt1jane

lt1jane New Member

My Prius sort of stole the show at my sister's wedding. We had five gus, including the groom out in the parking lot looking at the two engines. People are impressed when I tell them that I will NEVER go back to a regular car again, but are sold when they hear the same thing from my husband.

At my wedding, my uncle who's been thinking about a Prius for his next car was sold. My cousin's wife now wants one too. Everyone's impressed with the comfort and roominess. I'm still amazed at my luck. I can't believe that someone traded in an '04 fully loaded Prius on a regular car. Granted they drove the heck out of it in the year they had it (32,000 miles). I'm just hoping that by the time I need to upgrade to a minivan, they have hybrid minivans. I'm counting on Toyota to be my savior since Detroit obviously either can't see the light or has been sleeping soundly.

7. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

I too was amazed that the lady that owned mine traded it in on a Mini Cooper. I was even more amazed that in a little over 3 years she barely racked up 7,100 miles on the Prius. I was most amazed at what a good deal I got on it.

8. Liam

Liam New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman\";p=\"108532)</div>

Middle-aged housewives love the practicallity of the size of the car and the hatch back feature. Great for getting around in crowed parking lots and for hauling groceries.

Many people that don't even know what a hybrid car is have asked me about the car just because it is a hatch back and so cute.

9. clubmedic

clubmedic New Member

My wife is a Walgreens pharmacist. Today, Mr. Walgreen's (grandson of the original, and now a bigwig in the corporation) was at her store while I was visiting with my kids. My wife had mentioned that I owned a Prius, and he started asking about it. It seems Mr. Walgreen was interested in perhaps replacing his H2 with a Prius, and wanted a bit more information!

Of course I raved about the car, and told him to check out Priuschat for more information.

Last week I was at a Physics AP workshop, and met with about 20 other physics teachers. A number of them mentioned that they were considering a Prius, and I got to spend the week answering questions about it. Ok, we all know the Prius is a great little techno-geek car. What better vehicle for a high school physics teacher?

10. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My best one yet:

My Prius siting in the Quick Lube line at my Toyota dealer - me sitting on an outside bench in the shade.

A Toyota truck pulls up in the Service lane and parks next to the Prius. A mid twenties guy and his girlfriend get out. He stops and looks at the Prius from the side for several seconds. He then blurts out loudly,
    “Hey, what is this? Who’s car is that?

At a Toyota dealership of all places! :lol:

He was from the Northwestern Nevada desert and said he has never seen a Prius close up and knew nothing about them, except seeing a few for the first time on the road on this trip they were taking to San Francisco.

After the Prius tour, he was impressed and asked if Toyota makes a hybrid truck. There were no other Prii on the dealer’s lot, but there were two new white HiHys. He looked the HiHys over and said to his girlfriend, “Wait till my dad sees this one. I predict there will be one in his driveway in a couple of months.â€

I didn’t have the heart to tell him about the wait list.

11. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Boy did I get a reaction today too:

Was driving down a road, speed limit was 25.., accelerated from the light took the car to 35 and maintained 35-34 and was getting the blank power and electric run with 99.9 mpg. A little later saw a red light, turn to red so I let off the gas and started coasting to the stop, and pressed brake easy to trigger re-charge. This guy behind me, got impatient with his F-350 diesel super cab, and zoomed around me to get ahead and first spot off the light, accelerating to the light, a usual circumstance, then he slammed on his brakes and stopped. Now this guy in a hurry just sits there not noticing the light went green. So I waited for the left side car to go and zoomed around him. He pulls up along side and says what's your problem, don't like my driving ? I floored the car, and left him in the dust, and he tries to chase me. I got him by getting to the next light before him and made the cross and he had to stop. He throws me a finger and shook his fist.

With smarts and a little gas I suckered that dude and he did not like it, with his big gas guzzling toy being outsmarted by this silver little economy car!

12. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Awesome story man! Don't we all just hate these people that seem to be in a hurry, but they can never get into gear when it's the right time? Esp those that keep rolling at the red light 'predicting the green', but they're usually wrong?

Could he keep up with you with you flooring it? I suspect his weight was holding him back.., although I've met a few that would still run the light. :p

I get a few whom seem to give me the impression they think my Prius is slow and think they can pass me off the light, or they can cut in front of me in traffic because hybrids are slow; doesn't happen.

I'm just scared to death in parking lots because somebody is going to walk into the car, or back up their car into me because they can't hear me.

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like that story. It happens so many times, it's not even funny.

NuShrike, someone did walk behind me. Apparently he was on his cell and did not see my reverse lights on. Plus, I swear he wasn't there BEFORE I moved.

I have two stories to tell =)

1) I was waiting at a traffic light on an uphill. It was a wide road but only one lane each way. There was a black Chevy S-10, lowered and who knows how else modified, sitting beside me. Just before it turned green, he decided to pull to the right (i.e. where you would park your car alongside the street) and tried to do a rolling start to overtake me. Light goes green, not a chance :p. He ran out of space and had to pull back behind me. Best of all, it didn't hurt my mileage hahaha (and this was near the beginning of a tank).

2) I was on a 3-lane main street. I was in the middle and we were waiting at a light (uphill once again). The light goes green and I accelerate normally. I happen to be accelerating faster than the guy on the left for some reason. It was then I hear an engine racing. I looked right and saw that a Volvo S40 was right beside me trying to accelerate faster. He pulls slightly ahead, shifts gear, the nose dives (must've been a manual) and now he's beside me again lol

14. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Yea, Loved doing it to that F350 diesel, he was heavy and a working truck !!

15. dzitlow

dzitlow New Member

"Reactions..........."

My son calls me a geezer and that "only a fool like you would buy a Prius!" :cry:

16. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Well Ditlow., my local bunch here think I have lost my mind. The younger ones like it, they know the oil is causing problems for the country as a whole, it is the rednecks and the truck owners., they ask me did it die yet, don't forget to plug it in, and also tell me they're gonna pass me if they see me. What I do is not let them pass me., and when I see them at the gas pump, putting in 20-30 gallons for going 250 miles, I pump in 10 gallons for 450 miles and we compare. Once I get them there, they shut up. Can't wait until the gas gets to $3.00 a gallon..

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's funny how the reactions I get seem to happen in at least pairs on the same day and then I get no reactions at all for several days. The other day, an obviously well-to-do business man walked by my Prius and looked it over admiringly like he thought that it was way cool and wanted one. He didn't say anything to me but he didn't need to :)

Later that day, I parked on the main street of a very tony downtown and a kid, walking along with his family on the sidewalk, jumped up and down excitedly and pointed at my car as he babbled at his parents about it. I love those kinds of reactions.

You might not think that I'd get reactions like that in the motor city but a lot of people, especially younger people, think it's very cool. The guys in pickup trucks act as if they could care less, not surprisingly.

18. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    One reaction I liked was when I took a member of our church home. He's blind and so could not comment about the color or shape. He did like the way he could get in and out, plus he liked the sounds of the NAV system. He also was impressed by the general quietness. He wants his wife to get one next time they're in the market.

19. bobjeri

bobjeri New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    About 2x/week someone stops and asks about it in a parking lot. Standard stuff about mileage, safety, price, comfort, reliability, why? etc

Another Prii owner who had just purchased and driven from tuscon to Seattle followed and pulled in to ask how to to use the screens, Smart Key, and various functions.

20. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Everybody wants to know if I have to plug it in of course. Most at church want to know how it is doing. Still planning to push this car, there is fertile ground here, and the local dealer always has one or two on the lot. I plan to try and get some sold and add a little emblem each time I sell on on one of the fenders of the car.