1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reactions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Anonymous, Jul 17, 2005.

1. dreichla

dreichla New Member

Yesterday, I pulled into our local hamburger joint for a quick bite to eat. The parking stall was directly in front of the outside order window, separated by a wooden guard rail. This gives people a nice place to sit while waiting for their food number to be called - only inches from the hoods of the adjacent cars.

So -

We're about to leave, kids buckled in, seat belts on, etc. I push the Power button. Of course the engine doesn't turn on, but Dora starts to make her usual pre-launch noises - you know the whirrrrr's, hummmm's, wooshes etc.

You would have thought my car was going to EXPLODE as one lady jumped up with a horrified expression, looked at my car, and proceeded to back away from the car, never once taking her eyes off the car!

That was a one precious moment I won't forget!

2. Kablooie

Kablooie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A few months ago when I stopped at a red light on Hollywood Blvd., a car pulled up next to me and the guy started yelling for me to roll down my window. When I got it open he said, "Hey, how do you like that car?".

I've also had a gate security guard stop me just to ask how I liked the car.

3. mbarrows

mbarrows Illini Bird

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Usual Questions/Reactions:

- Do you have to plug it in?
    - Does it really get 50 mpg?
    - Can it accelerate in expressway driving?
    - Does the A/C cause a big drop in mileage?
    - How do you like it?
    - Will the battery need to be replaced?
    - Is there enough interior room?
    - Drivers act impatient behind me assuming the car is slow. I've been "cut off" several times.
    - Many say they like the fact it gets good mileage but don't like it's looks. (My wife agrees with this one; she thinks it's ugly. I disagree; I think it's cute and it gets better looking each time I think of the gas I'll be saving).

I get A LOT MORE comments when driving my Thunderbird, though. 8) It's a red 2002 convertible and somewhat rare like the Prius. Most people stop or stare and I get a lot of "cool car," "it's beautiful!", "I didn't know they still make them!" (they don't anymore), etc. I'm sure there are some people who hate it as well.

For both cars, "to each, his own!" I like them both and they both have an important place for my wife & I. Basically, I don't really care much what people think about them (although, I must admit I'd rather hear the positives).

PS - My MDX is our "utility" car/truck which we use to haul our two daughters, son-in-laws, their children to family outtings and extremely useful when hauling a lot of furniture and "stuff" for them. It also has a place for us.

With gas prices escalating like they have been though, our new Prius wins "hands down" for most trips we take. The Bird and the MDX are more for special uses.

4. ltu1542hvy

ltu1542hvy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    To get reactions, I'm playing with the idea of installing a horn that plays Dixie in mine, not to replace but rather in addition to the regular horn, and provided that it wouldn't cost too much. When you hear one, you would expect to see some clapped out redneck POS, a pickup truck or maybe a bright orange Dodge Charger, and a Prius would be the very last thing you would expect to see. Could make for some surreal Wth reactions. :mrgreen:

5. popsrcr

popsrcr New Member

Would need to paint Prius orange with confederate flag on roof.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've noticed in my area, people stopped taking interests in the Prius. The "I own a Prius" seems to just get shrugged off or whoosh by their ears.

7. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a circa 1928 Dodge horn of the "OOOooogahhh" type which runs on 6 volts DC. Last car I had it on (as a supplemental horn) was a Studebaker "Starlite" coupe in about 1952. Haven't troubled to setup 6v capability since, but it would be fun.

8. annef

annef New Member

Having just picked up my new Prius on Friday, I was all excited for the reactions to begin. I did get one admiring glance on the drive home from the dealership; my neighbor thanked me for doing something good for the planet; and I got a wave from a fellow Prius owner.

Mostly, people don't react. My husband had to remind me that Prii are not exactly new or rare anymore (a good thing!).

Oh, and mbarrows? Cool Thunderbird!

9. mbarrows

mbarrows Illini Bird

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Annef,

Thanks! I think she is too!!!!

10. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Actually, I can sort of understand that.

For those of us coming from compact cars (old Civics and Tercels), the Prius is a bit big. It takes some getting used to, particularly in parking.

For some people, the desire to get something smaller outrules other considerations. (Not me -- the Prius' many, many other advantages outweigh it's size.)
    [hr:6bbb0bd01f]
    Back on subject: here in North Seattle, there's almost no reaction to the Prius. Why? Because every 5th car appears to be a Prius.

They has become Us. :)

11. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't believe I forgot to post this after my road trip!

I was going through the customs gate just north of Bellingham, WA and the canadian gate guard asked me how I like it. I mentioned I thought the steering wheel was a little low, but the 50 MPG was worth it. He then asked, "It's got power? Good power, eh?"

I paused, then answered in the affirmative.

Just for fun, I accelerated away with the ICE asleep to show him how quiet the car is. :mrgreen:

Other than that, my bro seemed pleasantly surprised at the gee-whiz factor of it, and his friend's father was very complimentary.

12. dreichla

dreichla New Member

I went over to a friend's house yesterday to check on my bees. No one was home, except for their two German Shepherds - which I could see sleeping in the foyer window.

As Dora silently crept up under battery power, the dogs continued to sleep. I gently eased them from slumber with a couple of quick blasts from Dora's massive horn.

The barking and window slobbering was intense!

13. bookrats

bookrats New Member

:lolup: Oh, you evil, evil man!

14. Kablooie

Kablooie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    NO! I DON'T HAVE TO PLUG IT IN!

but my Duracell bill is huge.