1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Read a bit more thoroughly the owner's manual and...

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by pakitt, Apr 30, 2016.

1. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    ...I am wondering:
    1) the MFD gives a lot more of information wrt Gen3 - is it all that useful? there is Trip A/B/since Hybrid system started - when I commute, or take a trip, are Trip A for the tank and Trip B for the current trip not enough?
    2) all the safety features - they sound fine on paper, but then the number of limitations of what they cannot really do and when they cannot work... it almost seems that it is better if you turn them off and actually look at the road...
    3) auto high beam, seems to be one of those as mentioned at 2) - it seems it is better to simply keep it off as it seem to need to be overridden manually most of the time...

My Gen4 is ordered and my Gen3 is nice because it is after all a simple car. I am wondering if the Gen4 provides too much unnecessary information and offers a lot of safety features that don't really help and need instead to be "taken care of" for them not to report you the wrong information.
    Moreover, it is not clear whether the pedestrian detection is available in EU as well? or only in USA? they talk only of region A and B in the manual...what are these regions?
    And why should the pedestrian detection not be available in some regions, since they clearly say in the manual that in the end, it is all up to the driver to take care of what he sees?
    (BTW: pedestrian detection does not work in the dark (no infrared camera) when exactly one would need it - I can see pretty well during the day, thanks... ;) )

ETP likes this.
  2. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the safety features. They don't get in the way IMO, like some other cars I've heard do. The Lane Steering Assist barely steers the car at all. If you're not as confident about driving with a car that helps you stay safe (as in steering for you and telling you there're cars in your blind spot), don't opt for the features or just turn them off.

ETP likes this.
  3. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I hear what you are saying. That was not my point though - I didn't explain myself properly. It seems that often you get false positives from the systems, hence you have to take care of those false positives. It is not that they don't detect, they seem to detect too much or not at all. And you have to take control. At least from reading the probably overly alarming user's manual, and in reality the system works really well...

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The extra stuff is entertainment for the techno geeks. ;)

Cshigeok, Coast Cruiser, ETP and 2 others like this.
  5. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    My impression by reading the user's manual is that the entertainment only works in perfect weather and light conditions with a perfectly clean windshield. Otherwise, you better keep everything off....
    Or there is a lot of sandbagging in the manual....

Coast Cruiser and ETP like this.
  6. glennonrp

glennonrp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    There's a lot of sandbagging in the manual. I've driven my Four Touring for two months now. I adore it. It has all the features and Safety Sense. Everything works very well and I don't have false positives. I've used the DRCC for many hours at a time and it works great. I love it. The collision detection has saved me from rear ending someone at a stoplight (I saw the light turn green and their brake lights went out but they didn't move right away and they reapplied the brakes as I accelerated. "BRAKE!" Said the car!) The auto high beams work pretty well. I don't usually override them. I leave them on. Once a pedestrian shielded her eyes as I drove past her. Now, why she felt it necessary to stare at my headlights in the first place, I don't know. I was using the auto wipers today. I forgot they were on until it started sprinkling.

The manual is good for finding out how to work the car. But don't worry about all the lawyer stuff in there.

ETP and Lucifer like this.
  7. Frederickdawg

Frederickdawg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I get your point completely. Example number 1, auto headlights very common in most vehicles. Folks get used to it, when they then jump into a vehicle that doesn't have it they drive with lights off at night. Need I say more ? LOL

LG-H901 ?

ETP likes this.
  8. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    None of what the manual says "may happen" really happens, everything actually works as it should. As said above it's just lawyer speak.
    I found it strange though that there is no actual "OFF" position on my light switch, just Auto, parking lights and headlights (non auto) positions, making it is impossible to drive in the dark with no lights on (stealth mode :cool: ).

ETP and Frederickdawg like this.
  9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A lot of it is litigation protection. I'm sure if we removed those sections, the manual will be almost half the size. But, as a large corporation, you have to cover everything in case someone does something and sues you because it wasn't explicitly mentioned in writing.

Interesting. Must be a UK thing? We have an OFF position here. (And OFF differs depending on country. Canadian-spec cars follow int'l standards for labelling a number of years ago. U.S. laws still requires English words. E.g. the Canadian-spec cars will have symbols on the wiper stalk for the various functions, while the U.S. version will have MIST, OFF, INT, LO, HI)

ETP likes this.
  10. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah I do miss the parking brake symbol. Here it's spelled out in letters when activated.

LG-H901 ?

ETP likes this.
  11. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Well, in the EU (and that includes UK, maybe for still a short time...) all new cars must have DRL, and they must be ON when you drive the car. I don't remember the gen4 I test drove 2 months ago, but for me it would actually make my life easier if there was no off position, but simply AUTO. I would not see any use of having OFF at all and I would probably keep it on AUTO at all times, should an OFF be present.

ETP likes this.
  12. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I like being able to turn off the day time running lights. Otherwise at night I leave everything on auto.

Tideland Prius, are you able to fix threads? Can't delete pics on my new 2016 Touring Four thread or edit the first post..

Thanks,

#12 ETP, May 2, 2016
    Last edited: May 2, 2016
  13. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    When DRLs were first "proposed" for safety (in the US) there was a hew and cry "the headlamps are blinding us in the daytime!!". Yeah, right!
    Anyway, that is why there is an "OFF" position in the US, along with the "freedom to do whatever we want, regardless of consequences". ;)
    It's also useful when you are working on certain parts of the car.

Coast Cruiser and ETP like this.
  14. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I remember when I was a wee lad, only vehicles in Europe that had DRL were the Volvo's.

LG-H901 ?

alanclarkeau likes this.
  15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The new Sedona I rented in the States had 3 different symbols clustered together. I guess it's to minimise cost of making multiple dashboard designs. It had the BRAKE!, ((!)) and one other symbol illuminated when the parking brake is engaged.

The DRLs in Canada are the LED low beams at slightly reduced intensity.

Sure. Which thread? (Cause Pakitt started this one). Just go to the thread and click "Report" and explain to us what you want performed :).

Also, for future reference, you can tag a user by putting the "@" symbol before typing their username, like so @ETP

Just to clarify to others, this is the "DRL OFF" position for U.S. spec cars. Because "OFF" in Canada still runs the DRLs.

Frederickdawg likes this.
  16. Ente

Ente Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I like having the ability to control the headlights, including DRLs. I don't use any lights during the daytime and only turn on the DRLs and taillights at night. They're generally bright enough, especially since most roads have good visibility and/or lighted. I only use the low/high beam when on very dark, narrow or winding roads. I think of the lights as having low/medium/high settings. My previous car, a 2004 Corolla had no way to turn off the DRLs and headlights. While there's the slight inconvenience of having to remember to turn them on at night, I still prefer full control of the lighting.

17. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    Here in Ma, hey have passed a law that if you are using the windshield wiper, you lights need to be turned on.
    The DRL's keep me from getting a ticket.

18. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How does that go for people using Rain-X instead of wipers?

ETP and Frederickdawg like this.
  19. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    Just try and explain it to the officer. It's the law.

The changes to Mass General Law Chapter 85, Section 15, signed into law in January, require that front and rear motor vehicle lights be activated in all of the following conditions:

When windshield wipers are on

When low light or weather conditions prevent other vehicles or persons from being seen at 500 feet

From ½ hour after sunset to ½ hour before sunrise

#19 I'mJp, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
    Coast Cruiser likes this.
  20. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    "all the safety features - they sound fine on paper, but then the number of limitations of what they cannot really do and when they cannot work... it almost seems that it is better if you turn them off and actually look at the road..."

That's a great quote. I certainly hope that people are looking at the road. :eek: I hope drivers don't become too dependent on those sensors.

And then you have all the pretty "displays" going on... all the "Eco" stuff, and the Navigation screen, and the 200 radio stations, and the weather / traffic report / Siri / internet / texting, etc. This is just my 5-cent opinion, but I believe there are way too many distractions in cars today. It's now the leading cause of wrecks.

#20 Coast Cruiser, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
    ETP, kithmo and pakitt like this.