1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Read abs codes

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by chico, Dec 13, 2019.

1. chico

chico Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have abs lights on my dash.
    I'll try the paperclip trick that I found a YouTube video of but I have an ODB reader and I can't get anything from it. am I supposed to be able to read these codes from an ODB reader or do I need something special?

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    You need an abs scanner to see which wheel bearing is bad

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Most OBD-II scanners should be able to show you most of the brake system codes (though not necessarily tell you what they mean). The jumper-wire (or paper clip) approach where you count the light blinks has also been described in a lot of threads here on PriusChat. Wheel bearings are far from the only possible root causes ... the codes will indicate what problems to look for.

4. chico

chico Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm when the warning lights are up in the dash and I run diagnostics withwmy odbll it says 'no errors'

I have an ELM327 and the app 'car scanner' which asked for the model of car... So I assume it had specific prius gen 3 codes

Do different apps have different readouts? I know people like torque pro, but I don't know why :/

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm not sure which ones are better than others ... I would expect more of them to have less trouble reading more of the codes, but a lot of them seem to have problems. Techstream eliminates the guesswork.

You always have the option of getting your (abridged) codes by the count-blinking-lights method, which can at least get you started understanding what's wrong with your car, while you're still solving the better-scanner problem.

6. chico

chico Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So years ago this problem disappeared when I removed my ODBII scanner. Apparently some of the scanners cause issues. I was hoping that was the end of it but now it's back again.

The car seems fine, but I have brake warning lights, red warning lights, ABS Lights, slip indicator and tire pressure lights all on at once :(
    T_T