1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Read error codes without a scanner?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DropDeadRed, Jul 11, 2011.

1. DropDeadRed

DropDeadRed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've been searching without any luck for a way to read my check engine code WITHOUT a scanner (scanguage etc...). I have a 2008 Prius and given that there is a lot of things that we CAN program just by presets, it would be surprising if there wasn't a way to read the error codes by some keypresses. Heck, in reality there should be a page on the MFD that just shows the error in english! Thanks in advance for the info! I'm a bit scared that if there were a way to do this it would probably be a stickied post so... yea.

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I agree, there should be a way to get codes via the MFD, but there is not.

Engine/emission related codes can be checked with just about any generic OBDII scanner.

A few system like A/C and ABS/VSC/TRAC/Brake can generate flash codes using their respective indicator lamps.

But the hybrid system, that is heavily proprietary. The worst is that many DTCs have 3 digit information codes that most generic readers won't pick up. About your best bet is a scanner on the low end that can also read freeze frame data, combined with a ScanGauge or PriiDash to read live data. Otherwise, you are looking at $400 (AutoEnginuity) and up (Techstream Lite, Solus, etc).

You can also try an auto parts store and see if their scanner will work. Some have higher-end versions that can read the codes no problem.

3. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Autoenginuity is good, but it does not read information codes. It also does not handle the SMKS

4. 2Nutz

2Nutz New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm surprised there has been very little mention on this site of the Mini-VCI cables listed on fleabay. Appears to be a Mongoose knock-off from China. Approx $100 and looks like they include an older copy of Techstream. Could be a reasonable price option to get Toyota proprietary codes without spending $400+ for Autoenginuity.

Taxi/Limo likes this.
  5. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Interesting, but very expensive with software, did you see this?
    Support for all new models/systems approximately 9 months
    post-launch
    Subscriptions to Toyota TIS (professional level) is required and
    is sold separately.
    It is available to the aftermarket. Current rates are
    $55 for 2-day subscription or anywhere from $995 to $1095 for a yearly
    subscription.

6. 2Nutz

2Nutz New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, I've seen the subscription warnings. Rumor has it the download can be uninstalled and then reinstalled if necc for use again. Obviously not very convenient if your running a business, but for someone who has 1 or 2 Toyotas in the family or neighborhood and only uses it once a month, if that, a lot cheaper option w/ more complete information.

PS. I don't think the older copies coming w/ the knock-off cable have any kind of drop dead time associated with them. Could be wrong. Just another reason if anybody has got one they should be discussed.

7. Joeplastics

Joeplastics New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Team, I have a 2010 Prius 197k miles
    All warning lights are with main message saying check your hybrid system. Car won’t start. I’m ready to bring into a dealer but would like know what the issue is as I don’t normally trust the dealer diagnosis .

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The first thing to do would be to read the codes that have been set by the various ECUs (as indicated by the dash lights).

Your car is a Gen 3 Prius, so the next step would be to start your own post in one of the Gen 3 forums detailing the codes together with as much as you can remember of the symptoms you have experienced.

9. Taxi/Limo

Taxi/Limo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How do you read the flash codes?

10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Taxi/Limo likes this.
  11. avoice217

avoice217 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I've never heard of Autoenginuity until today, but from everyone is saying, its just a really expensive OBDII scanner. I got mine off of ebay for $20. Bare in mind that it just gives you the basic info off your prius, but I definitely won't complain about it. So I just did some searching and my scanner is an Ancel AD310, but if you have some extra $ to invest in a higher quality one that offers more details, then Harbor Freight has a Zurich ZR13s for less than $200. If I can get some $ set aside, then I'll definitely go after that Zurich in the future, mainly for more peace of mind and less confusion.

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There's a thread comparing a bunch of different products, and what Gen 2 Prius things they can or can't do:

Gen2 OBD2 app review | PriusChat

If you buy something on that list, you'll know what it can and can't do before you order.

If you buy something else, you'll find out when it arrives.