1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reading Codes Which App?

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by Phil Yaden, Apr 19, 2022.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am thinking of upgrading my OBDLink LX to OBDLink MX. It costs more but it is supposed to support iOS. However, I don't think Hybrid Assistant App is available for iOS devices, so MX won't help with that.

I have used custom OBDLink paid PID for my PPs in the past. They are pretty good for the price they charge (~$10 one-time fee). But as turned out, I can't use the paid PID for the 2017 PP or 2020 PP for my 2021 PP. I will have to purchase a new PID add-on for my current 2021 PP but have not done that yet. I am using the OBDLink LX dongle more or less permanently on my 2014 PathHY, so that's the reason to purchase a new OBDLink MX for my PP. @$140, it is one of the most expensive OBDII dongles you can buy... It may be a waste of money. But I am curious to find out what $50 more over OBDLink LX would offer?

jerrymildred likes this.
  2. The Big Sleaze

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    so what exactly will I see on Hybrid Assistant or other app with better dongle? Will it show me current engine coolant temp?

One of the things I'm semi-curious about is how long the engine stays how warm after shutting off, since I've got it in my head that should only run ICE for fairly long time frames rather than constantly on/off, or at least string together run times when engine is warmed up.

Also interested in real time MPG, not just trip cumulative MPG. Would also like to watch CURRENT horsepower and torque outputs from both ICE and E-motor, also CURRENT charging rate of ICE/Gen when in CRG mode in Watts or whatever.

How about E-usage rate of HVAC when parked in EV mode and estimated time at current batt charge?

BTW, how about a regular smart phone app for total G forces current and maybe "over trip"

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Those values are all pretty much available in the car for the asking. It is up the the software/app you are using whether it knows to ask for them. The dongle just handles the message passing between the software/app and the car, and doesn't really influence what your app can and can't show you.

As long as the dongle basically works, whatever app you use will be able to do whatever that app is able to do. If the dongle doesn't work, then you'll have problems. It won't even make the connection, or it will for a while and then flake out, or your app will give you errors. That kind of thing happens more commonly with cheaper dongles. But other than that, what your chosen app can or can't do really isn't determined by the dongle.

Salamander_King likes this.
  4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @john1701a has a series of Youtube videos where he puts the HA screen in the bottom right corner of his driving videos. Check out this recent video for what the screen looks like.

If your dongle isn't up to snuff (even the Carista dongle won't keep up), you'll get a screen something like this. The Carista isn't as bad as this, but it will not show all the data that the really good dongles can provide. (picture from Hybrid Assistant: FAQ.)
    Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 9.15.36 PM.png

#24 jerrymildred, Apr 22, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
    Salamander_King likes this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Now that's interesting. Hybrid Assistant does have several pages there describing which dongles work better than others (both because of speed, so it sounds like Hybrid Assistant does a lot of real-time, rapid querying, and because of all the usual cheap-clone, build-quality issues).

It might be worth mentioning that a lot of typical uses, like reading some trouble codes or freeze frames for diagnosis, really don't put much demand on the adapter's speed, compared to running some kind of real-time animated display.

And yes, their FAQ page does have this comment "Given the special protocol used by HSD4-based cars, only the OBDLink adapter ...".

I'm assuming by "HSD4" they mean the fourth iteration of Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive. Has anybody got any specifics about what new or special OBD protocols or protocol features the "HSD4" is relying on, compared to "HSD3"?

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That was the impression I got.

I distinctly remember getting a "BAD OBD" message on part of the HA display when I tried it long ago with my Carista dongle, which is why I got the OBDLink LX. I just tried it again and HA will not connect at all with the Carista. Perhaps it has to do with the newer version of Hybrid Assistant.

That's a good point. Simply reading codes doesn't depend on speed, but constantly updating data does.

I'm curious about that too.

7. The Big Sleaze

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    be nice if some app like HA would be able to pull data from cheap slow dongle as the dongle could provide.

I'd be fine with seeing my Coolant Temp reading updated every 5 seconds, don't need updated 100x/second. Real current at the moment MPG maybe once a second averaged.

What real auto diagnoses for my older non-Prius cars might a GOOD dongle provide that my cheapie doesn't? My Cheapie seems to be OK for basic manufacturer Error Codes but those are typically "could be any of these 4 things, or a combo". For older cars like 1999 and 2002 American, will a GOOD dongle and some fancy app provide more meaningful info? What are upgraded OBD-II apps? Is it the app or the dongle?

8. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Good thing your other car isn't a Honda Hybrid. simply SOL (unless a group digs it up, one piece at a time).
    try searching Play or App Store for Honda Hybrid and see the list that shows up.

With a cheapy wired dongle or wireless adapter, you should already know the data is typically not going to display accurately or have the same range of covered ECU modules and sensors.
    Understand why an install and play app reaches a much wider non technical audience, than an app like Torque or a dongle device like scangauge, even with a library of PIDs for any one model or Gen to program into the app or wired device..
    With an app there are clues in its list of covered vehicles and which vehicles get added to the list as new models get put on those lists..

#28 vvillovv, Apr 24, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    mr_guy_mann recently posted a great review thread comparing a bunch of different scanning rigs. It is specific to Gen 2 in details, but probably helpful in broad strokes for other generations too.

vvillovv likes this.