1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reading error codes with Carista invalidates warranty?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by raspy, Jul 18, 2016.

1. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just called my local Toyota dealer in the UK to get the car checked out as the AC is not cold, and told them I'd read the error code with Carista, so there is something wrong.

Was really surprised to hear their reaction that me reading error codes might invalidate the manufacturer's warranty.

Is this true?

2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds to me like she's spouting the standard Marketing/Lawyerese/Claptrap - "might" being the operative word! Have your lawyer go over the warranty with magnifying glass - I see nothing in my extended warranty which voids its effectiveness - sounds pretty bogus to me! :rolleyes:

3. booke02

booke02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The one thing that I could imagine being problematic is that Carista can reset the error codes (and service interval?), and therefore hide vital information form the dealer during servicing.

mark27lim likes this.
  4. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed. I actually called back 1 hour later, spoke to a different person, who when I told him I'd read the error code, was very happy. He said it would save time for their technicians if I could share what I found already. Go figure.

5. Kremtok

Kremtok Smug Alert!

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    One bit of advice - If you read a code that you expect the dealership to fix under warranty don't clear it. They'll need to read it themselves to verify the problem.

Valiant V likes this.