1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ready made speaker mount adapters for 2012 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by mid jersey, Sep 9, 2012.

1. mid jersey

mid jersey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi
    I'm looking to upgrade my 2012 Prius III stereo by replacing the stock speakers with 6.5" components in the front and 6.5" full range speakers in the rear.
    I know there are lots of threads here about folks creating their own custom speaker adapters, but I am looking for a commercial product that can fit aftermarket speakers without having to drill any holes in the doors. I've looked at Crutchfield adapters and the SAK010 speaker adapters, but as per reviews of these products they do not align with the factory holes in the Prius.
    Alternately, is it possible to just cut out the stock speakers and place the aftermarket speakers in the factory mounts? I don't mind destroying the stock speakers, but I strongly prefer a solution which does not require any drilling in the doors.
    Thanks.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In high school I worked as a car stereo installer... And yes it's easy to screw up a nice car... But drilling holes vs. not drilling holes is not as important as how it looks in the end... My experience is that if it's easy and it doesn't require drilling or any customization it usually looks clunky and amateurish... Besides... the best way to improve sound quality isn't putting in a bigger speaker, it's putting in a bigger amplifier!

3. mid jersey

mid jersey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for your perspective (with which I agree)!

Its just that if there is an aftermarket speaker mount adapter which really fits the Prius, why not try to discover it and use it?

4. ultraturtle

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    FWIW, the Alpine R Series 6.5" coax fits the rear door using the included adapter ring. The Alpine R Series 6.5" component system woofer fits the front door using the Scoche adapter with minor modifications, and the tweeter can be mounted in the dash squawker area by either cutting out the existing speaker and using it as a mount, or fabricating your own from the attached template.

Attached Files:

mid jersey likes this.
  5. 06d

06d Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  6. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you really want to get your money's worth on a car stereo don't waste it on upgrading the existing stereo. Having worked in the car stereo business I abhor their price gouging and crap-quality sound gear. The only reason they get away with it is because a moving car is not quiet enough to judge good sound quality and if you put speakers in an enclosed space like a car even the cheapest speakers will sound good as long as they have big amps to keep the signal strong.

If you ever have a chance to talk to a sound engineer ask them to explain the details of the differences between recording studio sound quality vs. car stereo sound quality.

Point being, if you really want to sink $2k on a quality sound system for your car then keep your stock stereo for it's radio and drop in some full-size pro audio you can plug a CD player or phone into.

For example in the picture below is a pro-audio powered sub and two powered speakers along with a rack mount DBX sub-synth and rack mount dual 31 band EQ, which is all connected to an auxiliary battery and two 750 watt power inverters.

Point being, signal to noise ratio at high volume on pro-audio is light years ahead of even the most expensive car stereos. Also the advantage of stepping up to pro-audio is that at any moment you can can pull the gear out of the car and have an instant dance party with speakers capable of 120+ decibels (one below is good for a crowd of up to 200 people). :)

Attached Files:

7. mid jersey

mid jersey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks a million!!! This is EXACTLY the information I am looking for!

BTW, I am planning to use those exact Alpine speakers you have mentioned - I was really inspired by your thread on your stereo install :)

Wrt to the speaker adapter for the front door woofer, Scosche lists two adapters:

SPKR ADPTR 2000 CLCA/ECO (SAT6) and 03 TYTA 6X9 SPKR ADPTR (SAT69). I assume you mean the second one? And in terms of minor mods, you mean making new drilling holes in the speaker adapter, or holes in the front door?

Thanks.

8. mid jersey

mid jersey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not sure I want a pro audio system taking up my entire cargo space. I am certainly not looking for 120 dB sound, just a faithful reproduction of the original recording at a volume loud enough to overcome road noise. And the specs on mid range and above car stereo gear is quite impressive. But you've raised a good point which I wish someone could come up with a good objective solution, and that is - how much extra quality does spending money on car audio speakers and amps buy? I believe there might be a sweet spot, while you are suggesting that there is none outside pro audio.

9. mid jersey

mid jersey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  10. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any decent brand of cheap amp on ebay which significantly raises wattage going to each speaker is definitely the sweet spot.

11. lopgok

lopgok Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have crutchfield adapters for the front and rear doors. They are made my metra or scosche, I forgot which.
    They fit, but drilling is required. In addition, there will be gaps where the old speaker hole was.
    I used packing tape to cover the gaps. I would like a perfect adapter, but it seems nobody makes one.
    You can make one yourself, with wood or plastic, but it is a lot of effort.
    If you really hate drilling holes in sheet metal, it might be worth it...

12. ultraturtle

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yup, the second one.
    Cannot answer that one definitively, as the shop that installed the sound-deadening also installed the speakers. They stated that the adapter fit just fine. As to whether the drilling was required in the adapter or the door frame, I don't believe that it really matters much.
    I'd mentioned in a previous post that I overshot the mark on my install, and I would hope that some might learn from my experience that unless they need enough audio grunt to power a psy-ops campaign to compel a Central American dictator to run screaming from his compound to surrender, that the "sweet-spot" might be close to:

Sound Deadening Materials ~$700
    Front Door/Squawker Component Replacements - Alpine SPR-60C ~ $170
    Scoche 03 TYTA 6x9 Speaker Adapter ~ $20
    Rear Door coaxial speakers - Alpine SPR-60 ~ $120
    Sound Processor -JBL MS-8 ~ $470
    300w Class D amp from pretty much any manufacturer to power the sub - ~$125
    Subwoofer - Alpine SWR-T10 ~$290
    Custom enclosure for the sub from ~$50 in materials to do it yourself, up to ~$280 for a really nice completed enclosure from Gen 3 Prius right Subwoofer Enclosure

No additional speaker adapters or wiring harnesses are necessary, or readily available as far as I can tell. Cutting and splicing factory wires is a very straightforward process.

In my opinion, this is the optimal investment of ~$2,200 to hit the inflection point of the cost/performance curve. You can spend more, but you will not get any improvement to the listening experience that your ears can perceive. Spend less, and you will notice a very slight drop in sound quality as you successively eliminate the sub and sub amp, MS-8 sound processor, rear, and then front speakers.
    Whatever you do, do not skimp on sound deadening. If you only have $700 to spend, spend it all on sound deadening. It will do more to improve your sound experience than an equal amount spent on any other aspect of your sound system.

somebody7 and PriusCamper like this.
  13. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    $2,200 for a car stereo that makes your license plate rattle? That's a great sweet spot if you're mostly deaf and are a poor judge of sound quality. Then again, most people with brand new cars would think this is a reasonable plan... To each their own suppose?

14. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I made customer speaker mounts, 3/4" flat plywood, for my front door speakers, (mdl II 2012) and used the same holes mounts at the factory speakers did. I replace the front 6X9 with 6-1/2 Polks.

15. mid jersey

mid jersey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Thanks again for the added details!

One thing you did not mention is speaker wiring. Even if the amp gain is kept low, do you think the stock Prius wiring can handle transient peaks from an amplifier based setup? I've seen another PC thread where people are advised to upgrade speaker wiring when installing amps.

16. mid jersey

mid jersey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If going with custom mounts, wouldn't steel or plastic be better with less chance of warping?

Ideally I would like to have steel mounts for maximum rigidity, but I am not sure how long they will last before rusting out.

17. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ever try to bend 3/4' plywood? :LOL:

toddrav likes this.
  18. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    3/4 plywood should last quite a while, I work with UHMW which is a high grade food plastic. someday I will replace the mounts with this material, but for now, it works fine. If I were to wash the inside of the door panel weekly I would worry more about the electronic items than a piece of plywood.

19. ultraturtle

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There are plenty of online guides that recommend specific wire gauges based on wattage (amps, actually) and run distances. As a basic guideline, I would recommend that if you will not be amplifying much more than the 20w per channel of a JBL MS-8 (and I cannot think of a good reason to do so), the stock wiring is fine. I ran 12 gauge throughout based on 100w peak per channel, but as my post pointed out, I'll never use even 1/10th of that power, even during peaks in the music. The maximum amperage peak I measured at a volume slightly louder than I can tolerate was around 6A, or 72 watts total. Making the very conservative estimate that the sub used half that power, each speaker channel probably peaked at around 9W.

Unless you are fairly deaf or soon want to be, you'll need modest amplification, and therefore modest wire gauge.

20. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    On amp gain, setting your car radio volume to say 2 out of 50 on a stock head unit. You should not really want to hear anything from the speakers, by 3 you should beable to slightly hear something. Too much gain, will allow sounds to be heard at the lowest setting on the HU, turning the volume to 1 and you can still hear music is not good. I have mine slightly audiable at 3-4. Nice and loud is like 40. 50 is just blasting the door panels, and that is from a 50w rms per channel.