1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Real Gasoline, not Ethanol

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Daryll's Prius, May 24, 2011.

1. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No such thing as real gasoline but if you want to know what gasoline really is check out this Chevron Motor Gasolines Technical Review. Well written for the non engineer.

Chapter 1 contents:
    1 • Gasoline and Driving Performance . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1
    Volatility
    Vapor Pressure
    Distillation Profile
    Vapor-Liquid Ratio
    Vapor Lock Index
    Driveability Index
    Volatility Specifications
    Antiknock Performance
    Octane Number Requirement
    Power
    Fuel Economy
    Factors Affecting Fuel Economy
    Fuel Economy Road Test
    Other Performance Factors

http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/documents/69083_MotorGas_Tech Review.pdf

Top Tier Gasoline
    "TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is the premier standard for gasoline performance. Six of the world's top automakers, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi recognize that the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough to ensure optimal engine performance."

1 person likes this.
  2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Comparing summer values, 47/52 = 90%. That means they could take 0.9 gallons of EF gas, and then add 10% air (or 10% nothing) instead of 10% ethanol, and still get the same MPG's. Doesn't make much sense, unless there are other factors coming into play. Maybe the E10 has some other factors in its blending that are inferior?

3. captnslur

captnslur Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    E-10 like round-abouts are not a political ploy to break our American spirit.

Think about it.... when we use E-10, we use ten percent less petroleum based gasoline and reduce our dependence on foreign based oil by 10 percent. That's a good thing.

Brazil, for one, uses a very high percentage of ethanol and a very low percentatge of gasoline. That's a good thing. They have, in this respect at least, a good energy policy. Of course their cars are designed to use this fuel. :)

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Except that it took just as much oil to produce the ethanol (from corn) as you would have burned normally without it. Add in the fuel economy loss and I believe you end up with a higher dependence on foreign oil. Corn subsidies are a joke.

2 people like this.
  5. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Then think about it some more. If we are getting less mileage from the E-10, we will be using more E-10 than we would gasoline, so we aren't saving 10% anymore. Then consider that producing corn based ethanol requires gasoline (estimates vary on how much) for fertilizer, tilling, distillation, etc. Depending on whose numbers you use, we are saving very little foreign oil, or we are actually using more.

p.s. Brazil is almost certainly using sugar based ethanol, for which the numbers are significantly better, in terms of oil required.

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Produced locally with biowaste is quite different, which is the point of advancing acceptance & support.

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you think that is why Congress is trying to tone down corn subsidies? To give those using biowaste to create ethanol have a more even playing field?

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This would be true if ethanol gushed forth freely from magic springs (ignoring the lower energy density of ethanol), but it doesn't. It takes energy to make ethanol, and doing it the way we do means it takes nearly as much petroleum based fuel to make the ethanol as the ethanol produced. Because of this we don't reduce our dependence on foreign oil one bit, but we do tie up a lot of land and drive up food prices. I wouldn't call that a good thing.

Tom

3 people like this.
  9. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This would be true, if there were such a thing as biowaste. What there is, is fertilizer, livestock feed, building materials, mulch, and carbon sequestering materials. I maintain that 'waste' is a verb, not a noun.

That said, if you are deciding whether to burn said biomass for electricity, or distill it for liquid fuel, whichever is more needed, should be made.

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ....I agree with minor correction, growing corn actually requires more diesel fuel (for tractors etc) than gasoline

11. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The one good reason for using ethanol in gasoline is as an oxygenator to reduce CO emissions (air pollution), for which E10 is plenty. Fuel ethanol made from corn doesn't do squat to reduce US dependence on petroleum. The $0.45 per gallon ethanol blending tax credit is a bad joke, a bribe paid to gasoline makers for obeying the law on oxygenation. The $0.54 per gallon tariff on fuel ethanol is a payoff to agribusiness.

Now is the time to call or write your Congressanimal to tell them to end the ethanol blending tax credit and the fuel ethanol tariff:
    http://www.usa.gov/Contact/Elected.shtml

12. striker308

striker308 Three time Prius owner

Evans, NY (USA) / South Williamsport, PA (USA)
    Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    can't find real gas in NY we have the cornflake gas with other additives that suck the MPG's out of it. my last trip to FL I was getting 52MPG while there and once I got back and filled up again it went back to 43MPG.

13. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks all for the ethanol discussion, I'm learning new things here...

I wanted to update on what I mentioned in post 7 of this thread, to which Tom responded wonderfully in post number 10 a little further down.

There could be other factors, certainly, but BP's gas continues to show better numbers for me, with a very small percentage deviation on the MFD from reality.

Over the last three tanks before today's, the MFD showed 68.8 mpg over 1,529.2 miles, actual was 67.98. Today's MFD showed 70.5 mpg, tank of 511.4 miles was actually 69.18 mpg. Fill-ups were made at two different BP stations over the four tanks listed.

One station posts the "May contain up to 10% ethanol" warning, other doesn't, though doesn't seem to matter. The stuff seems to back a little more wallop than my past tanks, though may simply be summer mix. Either way I'm happy with it.

14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Richard- Years ago, prior to catalytic converters (1980's), at that time, yes ethanol reduced CO emissions. But it is no longer true for modern vehicles, to the best of my knowledge. Basically that's what your catalytic converter does now, reduces CO/NOx/HC's.

15. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oxygenated fuel is needed to further reduce CO emissions. The phaseout of MTBE left ethanol as the most popular substitute, but there are several other possibilities. See
    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygenate]Oxygenate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  16. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Look for another explanation. That is more than the reduction you would get if you used 9/10ths of a gallon of gas, with no additives, instead of a regular gallon.

17. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Richard- I think that Wiki article is out of date, but I am thanking you anyway because the article had an interesting note on it:

18. powphilprius

powphilprius Elshawno~

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ethanol sucks except for Nascar. I always get worse mileage, hybrid or legacy.

19. rover

rover Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Was that 43 MPG in the colder months of the year?

I've seen that kind of variance without leaving my home area: With winter gas only doing around 44 but ethanol free in the summer doing around 53.

I discovered EF gas this spring so haven't been able to test it in the winter. I was buying mostly Shell or occasionally another name brand "up to 10%" ethanol gas year round and never got much above 48mpg at best.

20. litesong

litesong Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With the recent drop in our cars' mpg, due to the start of winter blend fuel, I am experimenting with ethanol free gasoline in my 2007 Dodge Caliber, my old '88 Ford Festiva & trying to get my wife to use it in her 2008 Hyundai Accent. Been keeping track of my mpg on fueleconomy.gov which has a sweet line-graph that should show decisively if my mpg on the 3 cars does rise & by how much.

For the Caliber & Accent, the ethanol free gasoline seems to have interrupted the winter-blend & cold plunge in mpg by rising 1 to 2 mpg. Of course, I will continue to monitor to see if I can avoid the 'MPG Winter Canyon'.

The following is for the '88 Ford Festiva:
    With the first fill of ethanol free, the Festiva turned 47+mpg on some country driving. With a winter-blend+ethanol tank, I would not have expected more than 43-45mpg. So that was a bit of encouragement. The next tank showed 58mpg, my highest ever mpg by 5mpg! I've only had 50+mpg tanks in the heat of the summer in my Washington state northern latitude. I find this astounding & wonder if my tank wasn't quite filled. But I think I topped it quite well. Anyhow, I'll keep feeding fueleconomy.gov & see if the mpg leap is true or if it might come down somewhat.