1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Real life average mileage since you bought your '04

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by RobertO, Nov 26, 2003.

?
  1. Less than 43 MPG

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. More than 43 MPG

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PriusDreamer

PriusDreamer Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I WANT my Prius. 0 miles driven. 0 MPG (or inifinite depending on your point of view :lol: ) I have to say I am jealous and I want to start bragging or bitching about my mileage. Good luck to all you lucky owners. :(

2. glscheil1

glscheil1 New Member

Miles driven

I have about 1400 miles on odo with average about 43 mpg.

3. bfraser

bfraser New Member

two mpg extremes in one tank

We recently had a baby, and I work from home, so for the last four weeks, I've hardly driven at all. I made a few trips around town (less than five miles per drive) at a cold start, in 40-50 degree weather. The mpg was averaging less than 20 during this period. Then yesterday I did a 175 mile trip at 50-60 mph and the average was 52 (the car has about 700 miles on it now).

4. Steve Goldenberg

Steve Goldenberg New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Drove from Aspen to Las Vegas and back with 2,000 miles on the odometer and Blizak snow tires.
    Averaged 44 mpg westbound at 80 mph into a headwind.
    On the way home, eastbound averaged 48 mpg at 80 mph.
    Both averages based upon actual fuel used. The calculated averages got reset when I filled up or shut the power off.
    The 80 on the speedometer was probably 75-78 actual.

5. bearincolo

bearincolo New Member

Here's my experiences so far driving 52 miles of roundtrip commute in the foothills of Colorado.
    LMPG = 38.6 over 1700 miles so far

I drive a twisty road over 3 hills with a 2600 foot vertical climb in 18 miles

Tedro
    04 Seaside Pearl

6. JeffG

JeffG New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just short of 10,000 miles and

MPG Display Average 47.47
    MPG Calculated Average 47.33

7. cleverkathy

cleverkathy New Member

I live in Seattle area - Eastside, and do lots of short trips, with a couple of longer trips. I have about 1800 miles on my car now and am averaging about 40 mpg. The short trips kill my mileage as the car never gets warmed up.

'04 Silver BC

8. Jonathan

Jonathan New Member

I live in Wilmington, NC. Temps have been 30-50F I'm avg'ing 40mpg.

9. laceyandiris

laceyandiris New Member

mileage

About 800 miles so far, weather 20-50 degrees and averaging 45 mpg :D

10. RobertO

RobertO New Member

4,000+ miles; thing I've learned about '04 Prius Mileage

We're got a little over 4,000 miles on our AM-7.

Here's what I've learned so far:

1. Mileage will suck on a short trip under 10-15 minutes unless the ICE and it's exhaust system come up to temp. It will improve slowly if I make several short trips without too long for cool-down.

2. Freeway mileage is still better than published ratio to town driving.

3. Cold weather hits mileage, hard.

4. Good gasoline (Chevron, Texaco, etc.) is better.

5. Tire inflation at 40 or a bit more (see other strings on tie inflation) does help mileage a bit. Really.

6. Freeway driving set at 62 MPH or less is optimum.

7. Country driving (not on the freeway) between 35 and 50 MPH seems to be optimum for very best mileage.

8. You'll get better mileage as you learn the way the '04 responds to different demands such as hills, acceleration to speed, passing, etc.

No very technical but certainly true for us at the 4,000-mile mark.

Bob

11. pzev

pzev New Member

Only 34MPG lifetime average in San Francisco

Here in San Francisco with steep hills and stop signs everywhere I only get 34MPG on avergage. Most our trips are 2-3 miles only and I know that hurts the lifetime average.

However our 1999 Volvo has an EPA rating of 21MPG in the city and we only get only 12MPG on that one. I must point out that I and my wife always try to drive economically by looking ahead preventing unnecessary braking etc.

Turning on the heat on short trips really hurts the mileage as the ICE never shuts off on a 2 mile trip.

04 AM-7 1280miles took delivery on 10/29/03

12. wasage

wasage Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm getting about 46 MPG calculated average with 4100 miles since mid-November. My typical commute takes me from Fall City (just NE of Issaquah), over Tiger Mountain Pass on HWY 18, through Tacoma and into Olympia (70 miles). Except for going over Tiger Mountain Pass, most of the commute is slightly hilly, 400 feet or less above sea level. As you know, we've had quite the variety of weather in the past few months ... from the 40s to below freezing -- rainy, snowy and sunny days.

I also take short 5-mile trips into Carnation on days that I'm telecommuting or on the weekends ... I've gotta have my Starbucks :wink:.

Suanne
    Fall City, WA

13. charlieh

charlieh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mileage

I agree with the general sentiment of Classic owners now driving 04's. The '04's mileage is disappointing after driving the Classic (we average around 47 in the Classic, and when I drive it most of the time, it's closer to 50 overll and 52-54 around town). I have learned how to eek out every last mpg in the '04 and drive it MUCH more conservativelyh than the '03 and get around 51 overall. Around town I can push it to 52-53, but that is REALLY driving for max mpg. I think most real world drivers will see low to mid 40's in the '04. Still impressive, but not what I was expecting by a long shot.

14. penpendisarapen

penpendisarapen New Member

I seem to be able to get an average of 50 mpg even when driving around 75-80 mp, as long as the highway isn't too hilly. Unfortunately, most of my daily 100-mile roundtrip drive is very hilly. I was averaging 42 mpg for my first 3 fillups. After the 3rd fillup, I finally checked my tire pressure. All tires were set to around 40, so I adjusted to the recommended 35/33. On my fourth fillup the screen showed an verage of 43.9, but I was pleasantly surprised when I manually calculated it to 46.8 mpg.

Victor

15. Price Taylor

Price Taylor New Member

New update on my mpg...

I have almost 6,000 miles and I'm getting 44mpg in mixed driving in the Eastside Seattle area. The screen mpg calculator is about 1.5 mpg optimistic.

Price

16. Real Life Mileage

Real life? My 2004 Prius is about to hit 1000 miles. I've been driving in extremely cold weather. As low as 11 below and highs usually in the teens or twenties. My average (so far) is 39.5 mpg. Of course, the heater is always on when it's this cold. The calculated MPG has been extremely accurate. I commute aprox 15 miles daily round trip with a few small hills. When warmer weather arrives, I look forward to exceeding the 40 mpg mark.
    Click here to see a lower mileage Toyota. Oh What a Feeling!
    http://www.bongonews.com/StoryImages/toyot...ota_taliban.jpg

17. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, it's really not an accurate calculation since I just got the car yesterday, but after 123 miles, my overall mpg (according to the screen) is 51 mpg. I'm in the Central California Coast area, and I'm babying the car for the first 600 miles. I'm very happy with this mileage!

18. johnp

johnp New Member

Just filled up for the third time at 909 miles. Lifetime (three weeks) average 48.9 mpg. I'm delighted, everything works exactly as it should. No rattles, no squeeks, no CEL, no problems of any kind. Knock on wood.

John
    2004 Silver Package 1 (RW)

19. priuspilot

priuspilot New Member

We got our '04 on November 1st, 2003. We have put a little over 4000 miles on the car - we live in southeastern Ohio and have had a real mix of driving, a long trip to NH, cold weather here this winter in OH and have found, of course, that the mileage really changes a lot, it is dependent on a lot of variables. My wife drives 3 miles to work and when it is cold the ICE runs all the time – we also have some big hills. So I drive it to work, which is about 15 minutes – 1 big hill and mostly rolling 4 lane with 60 mph limit. Our average is about 41 mpg in the cold and higher when warm. Our trip to NH we had 48 to 50 for most of it – keeping up with the flow around 70 mph. We did have headwinds for one leg and ended up in the low 30s. LOVE the car, wish the mileage was a bit better – we will see when the temps warm up.

20. cybele

cybele New Member

It will improve.

I live in sunny LA where my morning commute today was 50 degrees and 44 MPG - I only go 4 miles and they're a lightly graded downhill. The engine will usually run for the first mile (5 minute segment) before it gets warmed up.

I was doing much better a few weeks ago when it was in the seventies in the morning when I drove - so I can say that the weather can make a big difference in your fuel economy. Then I was able to get 47 MPG.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.