1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Real Wold BEV range reduction in a really cold region?

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by Salamander_King, Mar 27, 2022.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The price of most available BEVs in the US has not come down as much as I wished. BEVs are still expensive compared to conventional cars or even to a plug-in-hybrid like a Prius Prime I now own. Still, I am seriously considering purchasing a BEV this year. The last five years of PP ownership allowed me not only to save some additional funds from fuel and maintenance costs saved but also created a substantial amount of capital gain to increase my car purchasing fund, such that I can now afford a $30K to $35K vehicle. After applying the current fed tax credit and local incentives totaling $9.5K, there are few options of BEVs this year that falls under this price range.

In addition to the affordability issue, I also have to consider the range. The EPA range of many BEVs is getting long enough for most of my needs. Except for the cheapest BEV, LEAF at 152 miles, most others are getting over 200 miles, some reaching 300 miles range. Over 4 years of my daily driving record from the PP suggests, that 95% of my daily drives are less than 100 miles. And if the threshold is increased to 200miles, then 97% of my daily drives are covered. As long as I can use our other conventional car (it is currently Nissan Pathfinder SUV) for the rest of 3% of days I drive more than 200 miles a day, then a BEV with an EV range of 200 miles is completely satisfactory.

One caveat is that this analysis is comparing the number of days only. It does not consider the proportion of the miles driven. The 5 % of the times I drove over 100 miles/day actually represents almost 30% of the total miles driven on the car. Meaning, if I replace the PP with a BEV to be used only for the 95% use cases on a day I drive less than 100 miles, then I am replacing only 70% of the total miles driven. The rest of ~30% miles must be driven by an SUV with a substantial fuel consumption increase.

upload_2022-3-27_21-39-50.png

Furthermore, driving a PHEV (Prius Prime) for 5 years, I know the effect of cold weather on the EV range. The real-life data from my PP suggests that I should expect an almost 50% reduction in the EV range during the worst (coldest) conditions from the best condition during warmer months. In my case for the PP, this represents ~36 miles of EV only drive on the best days in summer and only ~18 miles of EV only miles on the worst (coldest) days of winter. I am still getting EPA-rated 25 miles or better EV range on average.

This effect of cold weather makes the selection of a BEV very difficult. I have to purchase a BEV with at least 100 miles ranges under the worst-case scenario to be satisfactorily used 95% of the time. Or if I want to extend the usability to 97%, then it must have at least 200 miles ranges under the worst conditions.

A recent test by a What a Car? team on 5 well-known BEVs seems to prove the detrimental effect of cold on the EV range. They compared the 5 identical BEVs under the same condition in summer and winter, plus 6 new BEVs previously not tested in Summer. And the result is as follows.

For the winter experiment, the What Car? team put the 500, Taycan, Ford Mustang Mach-E and Skoda Enyaq from the warm weather outing through the same testing procedure in 37-47 degree (3-7 degrees C) conditions, along with six new cars, including the Tesla Model Y, updated Model 3 and BMW iX3.
    Cold Weather Cuts Porsche Taycan And Mustang Mach-E Range By Over 50 Miles, Test Proves
    BY Chris Chilton | Posted on March 27, 2022...

upload_2022-3-27_19-18-26.png

The final comment from the author "And it’s worth bearing in mind that despite Britain’s reputation for crappy weather, it rarely gets really cold. If you live in America’s Snowbelt you could be looking at an even bigger performance drop." nails the most important point. In our region, "37-47F (3-7C)" is a balmy temperature in winter. We are talking about the normal low temperature down to teens and single-digit F (-10 to -20F) for most of the winter. So all those BEV owners of the great north, what is like your real-life BEV range reduction in winter?

And I have one more question, the video mentions that due to the heat pump being more efficient than a radiant heating source, cars equipped with a heat pump has the advantage for extending the EV range in the wintertime. That may be true if the temperature is 37-47F (3-7C), but what happens to a BEV with a heat pump when the temperature is 0-14F (-18 to -10C)? Do they usually have radiant heating as well to cover the lower temp? For a PP, that is the time ICE starts running, but for a BEV that option is not available.

#1 Salamander_King, Mar 27, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
    hkmb and TGrracie like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've always figured i needed double the range that i would require at minimum.

so iff 100 miles meets my needs, i would want 200 epa

TGrracie and Salamander_King like this.
  3. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, that's an easy part to consider. It would be nice to have a very good cushion. The problem is how to consider the winter range reduction. If the range reduction is expected to be 50% of the summertime and I want a double of a minimum 100 miles EV range even in winter, then I would need a car with 400 miles of EV range in summer. There are very few BEVs that can do that and to me they are unaffordable.

TGrracie and bisco like this.
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Look at charging station density too along with reliability. PlugShare does a good job on both. It has a trip planner function too.

There are dual voltage 120-240 VAC portable EVSEs that expand your L2 charging to include RV parks.

We had an unexpected trip in our cold soaked, 20 F Tesla into a +20 MPH headwind. The navigation unit routed us to a SuperCharger and we made the trip. An hour later than desired, we were not stranded. Typically we see 250 W/mi but it was closer to 350 W/mi on the way up.

Bob Wilson

hkmb and Salamander_King like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry, i think i wasn't clear. i double the range for winter considerations. even though the drop on a decent ev shouldn't be more than 25% in the worst conditions, i am more comfortable with the extra cushion.

TGrracie and Salamander_King like this.
  6. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, there are no charging stations that I can use for my ~5% of over 100 miles trips I make. At least for a foreseeable future, if I buy a BEV it will be strictly for commuter use and not for the road trip over 200 miles. This arrangement is fine for me. Especially after the pandemic, our needs and wants for a long trip have drastically diminished. For an occasional over 500 miles/day trip we make, we will use our conventional vehicle.

bwilson4web likes this.
  7. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have data on this number "no more than 25%"? As I said, for my PP, I have documented data that in our region the winter EV range reduction is about 50% of the summertime high. Yes, the summertime high for my PP is higher than the EPA estimated range, but I don't know if I can expect that trend for all BEVs.

#6 Salamander_King, Mar 28, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
    bisco likes this.
  8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    No problem as we have different requirements. Our BEV replaced our Prius Prime so it needed cross country capabilities. After 65,000 miles, it has fully met and exceeded expectations.

Bob Wilson

Salamander_King likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you're right. i have been using my pip data, based on no hvac. doh!:oops:

that's why i always allow a cushion, to allow for my senior moments :p

#8 bisco, Mar 28, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2022
  10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    And naps.

Bob Wilson

jerrymildred and john1701a like this.
  11. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, my 50% reduction is for a PP running on a very cold day (14F or below) without running HVAC. If I run HVAC on those days, the ICE will kick in and negate the EV mode. On my PP, I get ~35 miles of EV in the summertime, which is a ~40% increase from the EPA-rated 25mile. And I get ~18 miles of EV on the coldest day of wintertime, which is a ~30% reduction from the EPA-rated range. This number may or may not apply to all BEVs.

bisco and bwilson4web like this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    okay, that is surprising. i go from about 14 to 9.5, which is down a couple miles from when it was newer like yours

13. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The pip has such a short EV range, such that the percentage can be affected by a very small number of variations. I really don't think your number is way off from mine. The pip has 11 miles EPA-rated range, 14 miles would be a 22% increase and 9.5 miles would be a 14% decrease from EPA. Still, the percentage difference between high and low (14/9.5) is 33% which is more than the 25% you mentioned. Our area is colder than Boston, so that would affect the winter low, I would think.

bisco likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we do get single digits, and that's when i get the low. even a little below zero. not often, and not this year.
    car is also in an attached unheated garage.

15. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for clarifying. Yeah, if you are getting only a 14% reduction from an EPA range in a single-digit F temp, then you are doing good. But, I think comparing pip or PP to a pure BEV may not be a good comparison. They have a much larger battery and mostly better BTM. And your number and my number only represent two data points so far. I would love to hear from BEV owners in a cold climate to get a better idea on what the norm for winter range reduction is.

bisco likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we need someone from norway, the capitol of cold weather bevs

jerrymildred and Salamander_King like this.
  17. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is Sweden close enough?

This one is from Canada and maybe more helpful.

But if you really want Norway:

18. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The PHEVs just have a fan for cooling. The heater for the Prime's battery is just to keep the pack above freezing temps to prevent damage during charging. The thermal management is many BEVs warm the battery during charging during cold temperatures. This lets the battery reach a higher SOC, while the PiP and PP can't 'fill' their batteries up to the same point as in milder weather.

The prewarming of the battery also has the same efficiency bonus as using a block heater on an engine. At times when the battery isn't prewarmed before leaving, the system can get it to efficient operating range faster than use and cabin heat will for the PHEVs' packs.

Bjorn Nyland is in Norway.

19. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can easily understand that BEVs with a better BTM performing more efficiently in extreme temperature conditions. So, the 50% range reduction in my PP from summer to winter is probably not a good baseline to judge how a BEV performs in winter. But I still would like to know from people who drive a BEV in a cold climate what is winter range reduction is like. If it is 25%, like @bisco said, then my need for 100 miles in winter with double of that range for a cushion can be achieved by 266.7 miles EV range in the summertime. (266.7x0.75=200) But, that number must be dependant on the model and driving conditions, so it is not the absolute number.

OK, this is not the topic of this thread and this may divert the thread to more technical discussions on how cold temperature affects EV efficiency. But, here is a basic question. How is the SOC and kWh from the wall related? I ask this because I haven't noticed any reduction in kWh from the wall charging my PP in winter. So, the same numbers of electrons are going into the battery even in the colder temperature, yet somehow it has less SOC than in the summertime. Why is that?

20. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think I misspoke by saying 'filled'. The same amount of electricity is coming from the wall. When the battery is too cold, or too hot, the process of converting the electricity into chemical energy within the battery is less efficient. In other words, charging losses increase. The cold temperature could also be lowering the max charge of the cells, so you couldn't simple draw more energy from the wall to get a SOC equal to that of summer, but the battery monitoring system could also be preventing that.

21. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I am in Minnesota. Our cars are parked in an unattached, unheated garage. The garage is insulated and rarely gets below 30 degrees. (F)
    The range loss will vary a bit from car to car.

The biggest factors in my experience are (in descending order of significance):
    • Warming up the battery pack to operating temps.
    • Length of trip.
    • Warming up the cabin with forced air.
    • Increased air resistance (colder air gives more resistance).
    • Bad weather, snow, fresh snow on road, high winds. These can vary a lot so may be more or less significant.
    • Heating the driver with steering wheel and seat heaters (this almost isn't worth mentioning).
    Many of these can be mitigated. For example, if your charges right up until you go, the battery pack is already warm.

The range hit of lots of small trips (just as with an ICE car) can be significant. Of course, lots of short trips typically means you don't need lots of range.
    In short errands around town, in bad winter weather, with time between each errand for the battery pack to cold soak, I have seen 60% losses.
    In trips across the state (200 miles) in the same bad winter weather I have seen 20% losses.

Please note, increased air resistance will have a greater effect on a larger vehicle. As an example, wind resistance plays a bigger role with my Model Y than it did for my Model 3.

The losses are not significantly due to less energy in the battery. It is due to the greater energy needed to move a vehicle in the cold.
    It is true that cold batteries can absorb less energy. However, the act of charging them, typically warms them up to the point where they can accept a full charge.

Trollbait, drash and Salamander_King like this.