1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Real Wold BEV range reduction in a really cold region?

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by Salamander_King, Mar 27, 2022.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I would only add cold reduces tire pressure that increases rolling drag. Add air in the Fall and readjust in the Spring.

Bob Wilson

Salamander_King and Zythryn like this.
  2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info. Is this range reduction on your Y or M3? Either one, I am surprised to hear this. I thought Tesla is among the best BEVs not being affected by the cold temp because of its better BTM, as indicated by the result of the test I posted on the OP. The 20% reduction, I have no problem dealing with it, but a 60% reduction is scary. As you commented, it is likely to happen more on a short trip after a cold soak. But what if this happens on a long trip say ~120 miles trip started with full battery or say 250 miles of range. 60% reduction would make it down to 100 miles. I will be out of juice 20 miles short of the destination. I have no charging capability within this distance range. AND this is most likely to be caused by really bad weather. I especially don't want to be stranded under those circumstances like at sub-zero temp in a blizzard.

3. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I apologize for being unclear.

The 60% loss was only starting with a cold soaked battery, then making a short (<5 miles) trip, then letting the battery cold soak, and repeating.
    The 60% loss is not an issue as I wouldn’t have time to drive more than 30-40 miles in a day following that pattern.
    Taking a long trip, the first 10 minutes will use the most energy, after that, the losses are much less.
    If you are driving 120 miles, the loss would likely be closer to 25%.
    If you were charging just before you departed, closer to 15-20%.

Over the entire winter, I average a 33% loss of efficiency. My winter driving is largely short trips.

There are some people that want BEVs to be difficult. They really are far simpler (at least Tesla’s are).
    The range loss is predictable, just as the affect of driving habits is predictable in a Prius.

There is a learning curve, but it is a short one.

#23 Zythryn, Mar 30, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
    bwilson4web and Salamander_King like this.
  4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I thought your 60% range reduction was only for very short trips after cold soaked battery. In the case of my PP with only 25 miles of EV range, every winter driving would fall in that category. So, I am not surprised to see my PP losing max 50% EV range in winter after cold soaking battery. On PP in sub-zero weather, there is just not enough time to warm up the battery to the optimal temperature in less than 25 miles of the trip. But with a BEV with much better thermal management having a normal summer range of 250miles, I can see 60% range loss in short travels is likely not a problem. If longer trips' range loss is more like 20-25%, then it is manageable.

5. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My wife and I put a deposit on one of each VinFast VF8 and VF9 pending which she prefers, most likely the prior. Great incentives I think today is the last day...

REVVL V+ 5G ?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what the mdsrp? incentives? everything i saw said prices coming

7. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2013 Nissan Leaf SL (with heat pump) with 11 bar battery (only a couple months after loosing first bar).

With a 100% battery at the beginning, an attempted 70 mile trip ended before the halfway point of 30 miles with a dead battery. Mind you this was a trip we had made just fine all summer once or twice a week.

Temperature was -15°F at the time of driving (colder before that point)

Heater was only turned on every few minutes to clear the windshield. Heated front seats were turned all the way up. Both of us were freezing. I was going 45mph on a 65mph highway. When we hit an uphill grade the battery level dropped rapidly until the capacity bar was at the very bottom and the guess-o-meter flashed lines.

PS. There was no cell phone service where the Leaf died.
    I also was expecting it to not make it, but it didn't make it as far as I had hoped. There also were no places to charge between the starting point and destination. Now there is one place, but only open in the summer.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Battery management is terribly important. ICE legacy engineers did not understand.

I’m glad you and your SO survived. How did you’ all deal with it?

Bob Wilson

9. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a brother with a truck that knew where I was going. He came with a trailer before long.

bwilson4web likes this.