1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Real World MPG Numbers

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Fuel Economy' started by krmcg, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Have you tried to take your oil cap off? Do the dealer mechanics tighten that thing with some kind of wrench? And why?! Another poster mentioned the same thing... I cannot get if loosened. I don't really need to be taking it off; but just curious. (I was checking my engine after the dealer visit.)

2. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I will give it a go. I pop the hood open everytime I wash the car - easier to keep the engine compartment clean than to try to get it clean after it goes to hell.

RCO, Coast Cruiser and DonDNH like this.
  3. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I went back to re-visit my old friend... Mr Eco Mode.

It was like trying to swim through thick chocolate pudding! :LOL: It looked good, and even tasted good, but I was getting nowhere, fast! :ROFLMAO:

(The secret to all life in the Prius Universe, is 40 PSI, Pennzoil Platinum Oil, and Mobil "Synergy" gasoline. Feel the PWR. :cool:)

RCO and krmcg like this.
  4. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    This entire tank (2nd tank total and first tank since dealer fill) I am striving to limit speed to 55 max and on DRCC on the highway and also on Eco mode. I am only down to 1/4 tank but it seems I am at right around 64mpg displayed (and that's with a 2 hr air conditioned nap in the car after a midnight shift where I had to stay at work for an early morning thing).

I have had some phenomenal numbers on my commute as high as 84mpg and all this week mid 70's... I'm guessing it's the short trips that are tripping me up...this car truly is amazing!

RCO and krmcg like this.
  5. krmcg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Back to ECO mode and 150 miles into my 20th tank I am over 80 MPG (displayed). If I can keep it going, I will have a new all-time high for me. I try to stay at 60 or below and use the AC with great restraint. A game for old hypermilers!

Blizzard_Persona likes this.
  6. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    80 Mpg displayed over 20 full tanks!! Wow. That's truly amazing!! I've gotten over 75-85+ mpg on my commute (17-20 miles) thus far but no way is my total average up that high at all. Good job!! I thought I get the evil eye rolling along in the far right lane at 55 at times!! Lol! Maybe it's the hills and short occasional trips that lower my total?

I've been driving like an ol fart at 55 mph religiously this tank and am wondering if I should clear out my odo on my next tank since I am finally past the break in 1000 mi number and start anew next fill up and never reset it from now on out??? Kinda like a since break in post dealer tank bs. real world displayed mpg...? What do you all think?

My other option was resetting the odo mpg via the big screen each and every tank for comparison purposes???

7. krmcg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I guess I wasn't clear. 80+ on this tank only - my best prior to this tank is 77.1 (displayed) My lifetime displayed MPG is 69.5 (trip odometer B).

I reset (Update) my MFD screen at every fillup. I also reset my trip meter "A". Trip meter "B" has never been reset and shows lifetime displayed MPGs

RCO and Blizzard_Persona like this.
  8. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just top-off my tank now, whenever.

The gas station has a good slurpy drink, and a good price on coffee, so when I'm there I just go ahead and squeeze 2 gallons in! :D:ROFLMAO:

krmcg likes this.
  9. axle2152

axle2152 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    [​IMG]
    Best MPG on the way to work so far... Average speed ended up being like 45 MPH... Speed limits on the roads are between 40 and 55... I guess traffic and things just worked out... Usually can get 73-75 MPH...well so far anyway.

Blizzard_Persona, RCO and krmcg like this.
  10. krmcg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I tried to take the oil filler cap off yesterday. It wouldn't budge.

11. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Welcome to the club, Mister! :D

(I finally got mine to move. Wrapped a thin towel around the cap, and loosened it with that big wrench Mendel suggested. It sure fits on there tight.)

12. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The dealer overfilled my oil by three quarters of a quart! I guess I won't have to check it anytime soon.:LOL:

13. axle2152

axle2152 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I would take it back and have the 3/4 over fill removed... Too much oil will cause the oil pressure to be too high and can damage the engine... not sure if 3/4 of a quart is enough to cause problems but I would be raising a little bit of hell.

One thing I learned from experience is to check under the hood, check all the fluids before leaving the parking lot. I'm 99 miles from the Toyota dealer over here and I certainly don't want to be stranded on the mountain with no cell service due to a mundane detail overlooked.

RCO and Coast Cruiser like this.
  14. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three

15. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The post above, got messed up.
    ---
    Apparently, the service "advisors" have no idea how much oil each Toyota model takes. And they don't check the specs. They just put on the work order: "5 quarts." (My Prius takes 4.4... so about 1/2 qt too much.)

In the future, I'm bringing my own bottles, and pouring 1/2 qt out of the 5th bottle.

16. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was driving done the road, and a note popped up on the screen: Close Fuel Cap Lid.
    I accidentally hit the release button, and didn't know it. That's nice it gives us a heads-up.

RCO and krmcg like this.
  17. axle2152

axle2152 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Heck I'd just change it myself... I'd make a complaint...it's simple stuff, changing the oil. I mean they harp at you making you think the warranty is going to be void if you don't take it to them to have the wiper fluid topped off. It's right there in the manual, surely someone there can take note of the capacities. Good to know, it will be a while before I reach 10,000 miles to have the oil changed but I will be sure to check before I leave the dealer. It's one thing to be something like 4 oz over or a hair over the max, that's one thing, but almost a full quart over, that's a little concerning. I mean hell I'd be just as well off to take the car to Joe's garage from the sounds of it.

Anyone else have the incorrect amount of oil put in on their 2016 Prius? I'm pretty sure the Prius C I had just took the normal 5 quarts but I can't remember. All I know is I didn't have problems with any of the work Jim Barkley Toyota done and there was an issue were the top part of the engine was replace...so pretty sure they have people who do know what they're doing but doesn't mean the guys in the express service do...anyway enough of a rant.

Yes, definitely better than getting a check engine light and think oh crap what's wrong with the car. I'm sure the car has oodles of sensors and things built into the software that is atypical, which is good. I have been very pleased with the car so far...

RCO likes this.
  18. axle2152

axle2152 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Anyway, took a ride up the cherohala skyway and on the way back, which was about 71 miles, averaged 83.3 MPG... I think overall I was somewhere around 65 or so round trip.

But while not too common it is possible to go 20~ miles without using any gas and still have a fully charged battery. Simply stays in EV mode pretty much the entire time. Also when the battery is fully charged (full bars) the car will allow you to stay in EV mode all the way to line between upper eco and pwr on the HSI. It does that to discharge the battery but if you play your cards right you can maintain that but it is all at that point the terrain you're going over...the car wants to use the battery and keep the battery at a certain level. Just the way it is in the mountains.

Anyway, I am finding with the cooler weather it is easier to achieve 65-70 MPG even while driving 55-60 MPH most of the time....although some roads are 45, but with the hills you just try to gain enough speed so you're topping the next hill and still maintaining the speed limit...

[​IMG]

19. thunderstruck

thunderstruck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'll tack my question on here instead of starting a new thread. I was out doing some highway driving a couple of nights ago and noticed something curious. According to display on center stack car was running on battery power. Interestingly enough though, the ICE was turning 1088 RPM according to Scangauge, but was only using about .2 GPH. What is the explanation for this?

#439 thunderstruck, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    RCO and Coast Cruiser like this.
  20. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've owned Toyota's for close to 30 years, and no service advisor ever checked the oil fill specs. Maybe they think the computer will list the correct amount when they're typing up the order?

That's why in the past, I've always brought my own oil in individual bottles. Should've done it this time, too. It's only a half quart high, but that's not good.

One service writer told me, "Don't worry, the machine automatically turns off when the oil in the crankcase reaches the proper level." :confused: