1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Real World MPG Numbers

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Fuel Economy' started by krmcg, Jan 22, 2016.

1. axle2152

axle2152 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well I drove across the state... I drove like I usually do, quite fast... 80...85..90 at one point hit 107. Still averaged 52 MPG...Not sure how exactly but I did. Really surprised how well it does on the highway compared to the Prius C. In the C after you hit 80 it would have a hard time accelerating beyond that, not to mention fuel economy really went down. Not so much the case with the Gen 4.

RCO likes this.
  2. grape808

grape808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Most people post good scores; I'll share my shitty one, which I got by not paying attention at all. (I've also got 70s and 80s by not paying attention so MMMV as the saying goes.)

Halloween traffic is always terrible and takes me about 1.5 hours for my 15-17 mile commute home. I got into the far left lane which I ride till it turns into highway, and zoned out.

Before I completely zoned out, I noted that my battery was on 2 bars and was in EV (not by choice), which I thought was weird but I was also just coasting without much acceleration or braking.

An 1 hr and 8 miles later my mpg was 39 at an average speed of 8 mph. My a/c was on 75 and cabin temp was 84.

The last 7-8 miles was on residential road and took my mpg up to 50 by the time I got home.

3. Archimedes

Archimedes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How are u guys getting those numbers? I can't get past 55 highway

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. axle2152

axle2152 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    How fast do you drive? What is the terrain?

I was driving mostly 80-90+ and overall averaged over 70 MPH over a period of 6 hours. I averaged about 45 MPG, mind you I drove quite fast. I just get sucked in, next thing I'm going 96 MPH. I do not advise or condone driving fast....do as I say, not as I do.

Anyway, if you drive under 70 MPH over normal terrain you should be able to get around 52 MPG. I had started out driving the speed limit and was doing well but that didn't last.

RCO likes this.
  5. greenmonster01

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    School Bus parking lot is 1/4 mile down the street from work, so I can usually tuck behind one on the hilly portion of my highway morning commute.

krmcg likes this.
  6. greenmonster01

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First fillup. Fuel Light came on on my way home, so I decided to fill up. 48 miles to empty.

615 miles with 10.049 gallons.

66.9 displayed, 61.2 manually calculated...

2016-11-16 17.46.53.jpg

RCO, raspy, grape808 and 2 others like this.
  7. greenmonster01

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bought a cheap air compressor at harbor freight and aired up tires to 42/40. They were all at 32 :eek:

That should help my mpgs :D

krmcg, Prodigyplace and RCO like this.
  8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When I picked up mine they were all at 32 too.
    The dealer prep team needs to pay attention to the tire pressure sticker on the car.

Blizzard_Persona likes this.
  9. greenmonster01

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Second fill up. Went about 3 miles after empty.

637 miles with 10.524 gallons

65.1 displayed, 60.6 manually calculated...

Driving back roads to work instead of taking the highway, which seems to make up for the 20 degree temperature drop.

2016-12-05 17.55.37.jpg

RCO likes this.
  10. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Having just acquired fuely yesterday and with over 1,000 miles on 'Poppy' in UK it reports my mpg as having fallen from 66.9 to 62.3 over the past month. Temperature have been 10°C or lower and about 40% of the distance has been at 50mph or higher (80+).

This is my first Prius, so hypermiling has not been a major feature of my driving style, though it's fair to say that I have occasionally restrained my right foot. It's just the car is so willing to go... and I'm no slouch! Old, but not slow. Personally, like many on this forum, I am massively impressed with this car.

P.S. Regular occupant of other front seat likes it too!

krmcg and Prodigyplace like this.
  11. greenmonster01

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm only on my second tankful, but I'm seeing about 5 mpg difference between MFD and hand calculation. Some people have MFD and calculated numbers really close.

Not sure why my car has a big difference... and it's starting to bother me :)

Will it get better as the car "breaks in" ? (1500 miles so far). Sample size too small ? (2 tankfuls). Winter blend of gas?

Why! Why! Why! My inquiring mind needs to know! :p

RCO likes this.
  12. sgpriusdriver

sgpriusdriver New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys, is this normal for gen 4 prius? 1000miles odo

Using octane 98 fuel, I am getting 65mpg on the display
    Using octane 95 fuel, I am only getting 57mpg on the display

13. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota recommends 91 octane.
    upload_2016-12-15_18-52-57.png

14. sgpriusdriver

sgpriusdriver New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry I think I got confused. My country does another type of RON number instead of USA based Octane.

I know Toyota recommends 91 Octane(95RON in my country). But the fact is the computer displays a higher MPG on higher Octane/Ron fuel grade. Maybe there's some additional fuel additive in the premium RON98 Esso or something that improved the fuel efficiency. I don't know, it's just my observation. I live in a hotter, humid tropical country, maybe fuel quality matters much more.

15. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I thought the. Research Octane Number was RON, which would mean they recommend 91. Different engines behave differently, though. I am sure climate can affect things too.

16. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Basically, the higher the octane, or RON the more energy is contained in the fuel. Therefore, the higher energy content is translating into higher mpg hope this answers your question. :)

17. godzillaismad

godzillaismad Member

Having a few UK expat friends and seeing their way of driving, I sometimes wonder why you guys drive so fast all the time, it's like you have a grudge against the speed limit or the police... Maybe too much J Clarkson? But I have to admit I'm one of them now because it's quite fun, as long as I can get away with it

SM-G900I ?

RCO likes this.
  18. bbald123

bbald123 Thermodynamics Law Enforcement

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This isn't true at all. Octane is a rating of the resistance to pre-detonation, not energy content. Ethanol has a much higher octane rating than gasoline and yet contains less energy. Many tests have proven that greater octane rating does not increase mileage in any measurable way.

Mendel Leisk and RCO like this.
  19. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For the first time, I bothered to do a manual calculation vs just relying upon the number on the dashboard.

<100 miles left to empty, filled up, and in 387 miles, I got 55.5 mpg UK (46.3 mpg US) when the dashboard was showing around 60mpg UK.

I have 15 inch wheels, and generally drive in Eco mode, apart from two recent 100 mile round trips where I was in PWR mode on the motorway. For those 387 miles, most of the journeys involved cold starts at 6am where the external temp was also between 3-7C.

RCO likes this.
  20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

This is my sense, though I don't profess to understand the science: the "higher octane" options are there for a smattering of vehicles with higher compression engines, that need better resistance to pre-iginition, and it's indicated in the Owner's Manuals. And nowadays, if those cars run on regular I believe their computers will slightly retard timing or whatever, with little change in performance.

Bottom line, there's an incredible proliferation of high octane pumps, for piddling few cars that actually need it. Why? Maybe follow the money. :rolleyes:

RCO and bbald123 like this.