1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Realistic battery life

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Andres V, Sep 27, 2018.

1. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Might be a good idea to put up a Sticky poll on the Gen 2 and Gen 3 boards listing if they had to replace or rebuild their HV packs.
    List year, and mileage at the time of rebuild or replacement.

It would be a good way to do a long term study on these packs.

Robert Holt and Raytheeagle like this.
  2. amos

amos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Im having same issue. I did reset the it twice cause didnt have the time to go to dealership. I believe im covered under warranty since its a california car. I have about 110k miles on it. Its a 2013. Im almost sure soon ill get free battery replacement. Cant observe anything special as to when or which conditions of driving are triggering it. Only happened twice.

3. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I wouldn't be too quick to assume the HV battery needs replacing in your case. It would be nice if Toyota agreed to do that, given that you are definitely still in the warranty period (assuming you have a clean title), but I expect they would want to give your car a thorough going-over before concluding that the HV battery is at fault, since it would be such a rare occurrence at your car's age and mileage. First they will pull all your error codes to help them diagnose what is wrong. The members here will be very interested to hear what they find, if you don't mind reporting them back to us. Be sure to ask the dealer to document every one of them for your protection and for our curiosity. Are there any unusual operating conditions that you feel might have contributed to your current problems with the car? With the number of knowledgeable people regularly contributing to this forum, it is very likely that someone will have experienced something similar to what you are going through and will have some good advice to give you.

Mendel Leisk and amos like this.
  4. amos

amos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know they will give me hard time. So far the codes my car accumulated in past 18 months are still there i got nothing to hide. Battery code is there twice. Didnt erase itself after resetting. And i also have a code of the wheel speed sensor that i changed myself about 6 months ago. They know all history of this car. They can see battery code popped up twice in past month. Im getting organised .feels like having a court trial date . will update.

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    It sounds like you are getting ready to go to a battle. It is wise to prepare for the worst, but I hope that suing someone would be a last resort. There are many members of this forum who have received very reasonable concessions from Toyota without having to go to court. Perhaps you have had previous run-ins with the dealer that have left a bad taste in your mouth or possibly the your car has already had its share of problems that have soured you on the Toyota brand. I don't know your circumstance, but I think most of us on this forum have a favorable impression on Toyotas generally and on the Prius specifically. Our experiences with dealer service have been all over the map, there are some that are quite good, many that leave much to be desired. I would urge you to present your case to your dealer as objectively as possible, being open to the possibility that there are other explanations for your car's behavior, but being prepared to escalate to a higher authority, if the dealer is not listening to you.

Mendel Leisk and amos like this.
  6. Andres V

Andres V Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    So as of today I managed to save enough to do the whole repair and yes I'm buying an original battery. I think it's worth it for my 2010 model. There is still one big thing bugging me. With the diagnostic I was told to change the HV battery and the "COMPUTER, POWER MANAGEMENT", part number 89681-47088 2010 Toyota Prius Computer 89681-47088 | ToyotaofTampaBayParts.
    The reason they told me to change it is because it usually "fries" or "fails" when the HV battery is changed in their experience, and from their words, this part is now working fine, it's a "precaution measure".
    I am getting very confused.
    Is this the ECU where talking about?
    How many ECU does a gen 3 Prius have anyway? It's my understanding that it's one for the battery and one for the ICE and they usually don't fail that often, and worst in a HV battery change.
    I'm trying to understand if it is really a ripoff or not.
    If this is really the ECU I just had it checked in a maintanance recall and the result was that my ECU is working fine and doesn't need change or software update.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#66 Andres V, Dec 8, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    amos likes this.
  7. amos

amos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How much is the new battery. Are you buying it from a toyota dealer?

8. Andres V

Andres V Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yesterday I went to the TOYOTA dealer to confirm the diagnostic and necessity of each part before going further with the repair.
    In total the repair costs 2790 USD$ (that's actually converted from the local currency), all parts are original TOYOTA's and all prices include local 16% VAT:
    • 558 USD$ - Computer power management (HV Battery ECU) - Part Nr. 89681-47088.
    • 65 USD$ - Air duct to the HV Battery - Part Nr. G92D1-47011.
    • 2163 USD$ - HV Battery (Original TOYOTA) - G9510-47062.
    The air duct was proposed because apparently my car was missing the grille/filter for the HV battery fan, so the grill comes with the whole air duct.
    I'm sold on the battery, I get that it's necessary but the thing bugging me was the computer, why do they want to change it as a precautionary measure if they kept saying it's fine now, well yesterday I asked them this question, directly to the customer support manager. They replied the computer (which is the HV Battery ECU) has to be changed together with the battery or else the error codes will keep on being there and basically the P0A80 code and "CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM" console message will keep on flashing. I asked if they can't just reset them? They say they can on other models but not on Priuses.

What do you guys think? it keeps sounding like nonsense.
    The thing is I knew that Priuses had 2 ECUs, one for the battery and one for the whole hybrid system, but I thought the battery came with it's own and was included in the price so I'm just learning the ECU is sold apart.
    It is really getting way to expensive to throw so much money at a almost-10 years old car, right now I think isn't worth it anymore and I'm planning on selling as it is. On Monday, I'll call other 2 Toyota dealers on 2 nearby cities to hear a different opinion just before selling it.

amos likes this.
  9. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Prius has more ECUs than you have fingers and toes. The one in the battery for the HV battery is no different then the rest. It can be reset and cleared like every other one and the Prius is not special.

amos, Mendel Leisk and Simtronic like this.
  10. Andres V

Andres V Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    That's what I thought. What do you suggest? I'd love to take it to another dealer but I'm afraid they will all say the same. They should all have the same training. I'm going to call them anyway though.

amos likes this.
  11. Andres V

Andres V Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Do you think I could just buy the battery and finish the job resetting the ECU myself? Can I do it with a bluetooth OBD2 and some app? Can you recommend one? Is there some guide I could use?

amos likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would just let them do the install, and waive the computer replacement. Probably waive the duct replacement too. I believe if they put it in it's 3 year warranty, vs 1 year for cash-and-carry?

Plus if they do the install, there's no core charge, and no finger pointing if there's anything amiss.

amos likes this.
  13. Andres V

Andres V Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yes that's what I had in mind but I still don't know how to completely reset the battery ECU. A phone app could do the trick? Here there's literally no one who touches hybrids to doaintenance on them.

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Can't the dealership manage ECU reset? Or it's something unorthodox, they'll only replace?

amos likes this.
  15. Andres V

Andres V Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It is UNORTHODOX that's what I'm fighting with since september. They are not able to reset it, their own words. Everytime they change batteries they change the ECU too.

amos and Mendel Leisk like this.
  16. Andres V

Andres V Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Is there anyone who knows how to reset a HV Battery ECU? This way I'll just buy the battery. If I don't find a way to do it myself with an ODB2 or similar or from another mechanic (haven't found one capable yet) I selling my Prius.

17. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Either Techstream, or dealership, or someone who works on hybrids....

18. Andres V

Andres V Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks. Is there a way to do it myself with and ODB2 and my phone?

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    torque is supposed to be decent, and dr prius, but i'm not sure if they can do that.

tech stream is available for $25. on amazon, if you can find a compatible laptop

Raytheeagle likes this.
  20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Odd, that techstream can do this ECU reset, but dealerships are incapable of doing it. Also, that ECU replacement is mandatory, according to this one dealership. Time for a second dealership, second opinion?