1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

realistic mileage for my commute

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by draheim, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey Draheim! Since you asked me what I do to get 55-60 MPG (displayed) in the other thread, I can try to offer a couple tips. First, since temps still range from 40F to 65F where I live, I do a full block. Actually, since there are gaps at the edges let's call it 90 percent. Also, I live in a condo complex, I take the long way around (about one minute) to let the ICE finish the first warmup stage. I might have to wait another 30 seconds or so till traffic allows me to pull out onto the main road and I try to keep in Eco range when accelerating here. I might pull into the corner store here, and by the time I park the ICE has already shut down... About three minutes after leaving the house. I do NOT shut off the car... Just leave the key fob in the cup holder (depends on the neighborhood if you can do this). If I don't have any errands I have a light to wait at, so the ICE shuts down anyway. The next portion I always have traffic behind me so I just drive normally, trying to keep the HSI in the Eco range when possible. Then comes the sweet part, a side street I can mostly go stealth for a couple of minutes, followed by a steep decline to ride the brakes and nearly top off the battery! Another pulse and glide at the bottom and I've reached work, about 4 miles.

2. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I might be missing a few lines in the long post. Did you really ask about gas milaege and fuel cost when you drive less than 10 miles a day? I mean, seriously?

3. draheim

draheim Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks for migrating your response over here Erikon. So I guess my follow-up question is, can you get the same mileage on the return trip?

I get a feeling that some of the people reporting MPG in the 60s or higher on this forum (and I'm NOT referring to you here) might be tweaking their numbers a bit by starting the mileage counter only after the car is thoroughly warmed up, or starting it only at the beginning of a particularly favorable route, or whatever - and IMHO, those numbers don't count, or they should at least be followed by a big asterisk. MPG is MPG, meaning the number of miles driven on a given gallon of gas. Including warm-up. Including uphills. Including stop-and-go traffic. The longer the time period, the more realistic the average is.

What I'm trying to gauge in this post is, what is a reasonable MPG to expect from this vehicle under my particular driving conditions, and what can I do to improve it? Obviously pulse & glide and grill blocking are two legitimate strategies I can use to maximize the distance I can manage to travel in my Prius on a gallon of gas. But starting the trip meter after the first 5 minutes when the engine is good and warm doesn't give me a meaningful MPG number, anymore than would starting the trip meter at the top of Snoqualmie Pass and then checking my MPG when I get to Issaquah...

4. draheim

draheim Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Not fuel cost. MPG. In other words, how many gallons of fossil fuels am I burning, regardless of the cost. And how can I minimize that?

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sunrise to Seattle will do even better. :D Even from a reset and cold start (after a chilly all day hike), 3000 vertical feet of wasteful compression braking, and a dinner stop in Enumclaw, you should be able to get to Renton before the display drops below 99.9.

[​IMG]

Even the very best DQ'd VW TDI Tank Wars entries couldn't touch that distance/MPG combination. (Its rules had no elevation change restriction.)

(I didn't bother recording the trip up, but the fuel log shows 56.1 (at the pump, not the display) for that tank.) A further check of my notes shows 47.2 for the climb, for a round trip of 60.6.

OK, back to topic.

6. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I reset the trip meter at startup, so the mpg reflects cold engine conditions. And I get the same, maybe even a little better on the return trip. The Prius isn't about being the most cost effective transportation for me. It's about giving as little money as possible to the oil powers and their terrorist offshoots, and hurting the environment a little less. I also think it's a cool car with lots of room to haul stuff!

7. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My displayed MPG's for my last two tanks have been over 60 mpg (currently reading 61.0 mpg after 400 miles on this tank). I've got a 70 mile per day commute (35 miles to work, 35 miles to home). There is one long grade (Dublin grade) on the first third of my commute to work and in the last third of my commute home. The commute is roughly 85% freeway, 15% city/stop and go.

I keep my freeway speeds to 55 mph (cruise control) which goes a LONG way to my great gas mileage. (Only a dry day, I'll get nearly 63 - 64 mpg to and from work....it is the quick little 5 minute trips to baseball games and such that "kill" my mileage on the weekends).

My first 5 minutes, I'll travel about 3 miles and will average about 35 mpg (due to warming up). I make up the mileage due to the fact that my commute is long enough to really take advantage of the great highway MPG's this car can attain.

8. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Driving style is also important. My wife drives our Prius 90% of the time.

She does not drive at all for fuel economy. A lot of her trips are under two miles from a cold start.

He current tank indicated guage is 46 MPG for 213 miles for a true 43 MPG.

When I drive I can usually get at least 50 MPG indicated. Last weekend from a cold start my wife, me, nephew, and his girlfriend, all adults, went for a trip from Seaside Oregon to the east side of Portland Oregon.

When we arrived home with over 200 miles the trip guage, which I had reset at the start of the trip, read 56.7 MPG for a true 53 MPG.

This is driving at or slightly above speed limit.

Alfon

9. draheim

draheim Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks everyone for your helpful posts here and in other threads; I have started to better understand the limitations of what I can expect from my new car given my particular driving habits.

Over the past month I have only had the opportunity to drive the car a few times for more than about 10 minutes straight, but have noticed a distinct uptick in MPG when the engine gets good and warm. I have also changed a couple of driving habits (including employing pulse & glide when terrain permits) to maximize efficiency: I drive very gently the first 5 minutes or so, and I try to pick routes that avoid the steeper hills.

My MPG is currently around 43.3, which would be lousy for many of you but I think it pretty good given all the short trips, cold starts, steep hills, heavy traffic, etc. that make up most of my driving. I'm going to keep fine-tuning my driving and expect to continue to see a slight improvement.

Right now I'm seriously thinking that by around 2014 or 2015 I'll trade this car in for a plug-in Prius, especially if my commute pattern doesn't change much (I may wait for the 5th generation Prius, but by then who knows what else will be on the market). It's estimated to get 75 MPG but I bet with my driving habits I could get 125 or so. I almost always drive less than 15 miles a day, so I could drive almost exclusively in EV mode. By 2018 my better mileage in that car will offset my relatively "worse" mileage (tongue somewhat in cheek) on my 2010 Prius...

10. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Don't forget the car and tires need a few thousand miles to get broken in! A year from now you might be seeing milage in the 50's! And an EBH is a good investment for short trippers like us... as soon as it's warm and I can borrow a ramp I'm gonna install mine. As far as what the future holds, I can't wait!:rockon: