1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reality Check... are some Prius owners acting more like cult members?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by billyboy, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Acelin

Acelin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(billyboy @ Oct 4 2006, 09:18 AM) [snapback]327859[/snapback]</div>
    What? Where have you been? Many people......oh wait, you did specify "normal".....never mind.

OK, now that would be demented. What sort of person would use a perfectly good garage to store an automobile? I mean: where would
    you put your stuff!?!

Now, now. Take a deep breath, sit down and relax.....here, have some Kool Aid.....

2. Silverlode

Silverlode New Member

Cult? You think this is a cult, eh? WHAT!?! Get him! Tie him up! We can't have him questioning our values, our WAY OF LIFE! To the castle, everyone! Pick up arms!

3. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

It looks like he is gone now. Can we get back to our discussion about our meeting tonight?

I've got the bucket of chicken blood.

Today’s chant is :

“Oh Evinyem, Evinyem… Prius got EV in em.â€

4. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bhaynnes @ Oct 4 2006, 02:13 PM) [snapback]327987[/snapback]</div>
    I must admit I don't know what "the dragon" is. I used to live in Greenville SC and I had a route I would take fairly regularly, at least once a month. Sometimes I went with friends, but usually I did it alone. I just loved the freedom and the scenery, and of course, the twisty turny roads.

I would enter North Carolina in it's south-west corner and takes some really twisty roads up into the mountains to Highland (I think). They were mostly just continuous switchbacks. From there I would head to Cherokee and stop for lunch. (I never went to any of the rallys there, it just wasn't my kind of thing) I would then get on the Blue Ridge Parkway and travel it for an hour and a half or so. The Blue Ridge Parkway is great, because it is all big sweeping curves and wide roads where you can do 60 MPH and still look at the scenery. I would then head back down through some twisty turny roads to Greenville SC. It would take me 6 to 8 hours to do the route, depending on how often I stopped and how far up the parkway I went.

5. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :rolleyes: Quote:"Billyboy is just a troll, here to argue and disturb the harmony of the site. He is on ignore."

Well said. Confirms my earlier post.

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You know, just to put everyone straight here, the idea of Prius owners as a cult has come up before, and without the "he's a troll! he's a troll! burn him!" chant from the mob. the OP originally posted some good points - the naming, "prius wave", our proclivity to buy stuff like an engine block heater to keep the car warm.

That being said, others have shown that these things aren't limited to the Prius, however perhaps a majority of car owners don't act like this. select groups do, generally those groups that attract some sort of enthusiast following by crafting an image of being different (Harley, VW beetle, and now us?)

I completely agree with the OP that some posts are totally off the wall obsessive about our cars. But we're enthusiasts, and thats to be expected. We also have posts that are extremely informative and helpful. So everyone just chill and start acting like adults that can actually have a discussion about something they maybe don't agree with.

7. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

I hate my Prius soo much, I actually sold it. It wasn't a bad car, it's just everyone I came across thought I was GAY, owned a MAC, and wondered where why I wasn't wearing Birkenstock SANDALS with SOCKS. I vandalized one owned by this old guy who looked at me wrong in the parking lot of some rest area near Mt. Kisco, NY, when I had an epiphany: Prius owners SUX!

8. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 4 2006, 02:59 PM) [snapback]328028[/snapback]</div>
    That was good! I don't know if I should agree with you or If I should burn you......

Only Kidding!

I take this topic with a light hart and was not offended by anyone’s posts. I thought we were all just kidding around. Aren't we? Well not about the fact that we are fanatics, but the part that there is something wrong with us being fanatics.

All in all everyone have a great day. I have to go do some mod now. Take care.

9. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Man!!! you fellow prius guys and gals are just !Great!. Ive loved this site from day one.Freedom of speech in a tastefull manner.!Threads and posts to suit all.Dont ever change!The world needs more friendly,informative, and fun spots to rest the soul like here.I hope billy will see prius chat as a fun place to be someday. Ps! i dont like to judge anyone!we all have our faults!thats what makes us so human.

10. chimohio

chimohio New Member

If this is a cult, so be it. After all, in all reality there aren't that many of us and we probably do have different beliefs (environment, gas mileage, being cool, etc)
    Do I wave at other Prius users? If I see them, yes.
    I don't ride a motorcycle but I do long distance road biking (ya know, the type with pedals), and when I come across another lone soul, we both wave. Biking could also be a cult - I get funny looks from people when I tell them I rode 70 miles (on my bike the day before).
    Heck (strong word) when I was growing up in MS, everyone waved at everyone (normally with your index finger over the steering wheel).
    Long live the Prius. :lol:

11. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(billyboy @ Oct 4 2006, 12:18 PM) [snapback]327859[/snapback]</div>

....and your point ...

would be...

what?

terri
    (owner of UB, the wonderPrius....who lives in my garage....left side so no heat from dryer blows offensive hot air her way....Sorry, gotta go....have to tuck in UB and say "nighty-night" so we all rest well)

12. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(terri @ Oct 4 2006, 03:41 PM) [snapback]328065[/snapback]</div>
    Wait, switch those sides! She wants that hot air to keep her nice and warm! Better yet, you should get a tarp hung up the exact size and shape of the car, and pump the hot air in there to help keep her warm! :lol:

13. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 4 2006, 04:43 PM) [snapback]328067[/snapback]</div>

No, no....way too moist...think that is why my Camry rusted in just that spot....but I am thinking of having the garage insulated and

HEATED!!

Mwahahahaaaaaaaa.......:D

14. ohgreys

ohgreys New Member

I think that anytime you read message boards that are devoted to one topic, you could come away thinking that the participants are a bit mad over the topic. PC certainly isn't unique in that regard. I participate in a forum devoted to retired racing greyhounds and I would think that most non-greyhound people (and even a few greyhound people) would think that many of the participants are over the top in their enthusiasm. It just doesn't strike me as something that I would make a point of pointing out though.

15. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Oct 4 2006, 04:16 PM) [snapback]328038[/snapback]</div>
    YOU!! out of the pool! Yer off the team.

16. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Oct 4 2006, 03:16 PM) [snapback]328038[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe they just think you're gay because of all your gay friends you're hanging with now. Unless you happened to pick up a new dress code after frequenting the gay bar a couple weeks ago?!?!?!

17. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(terri @ Oct 4 2006, 03:47 PM) [snapback]328070[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds like you need a set up like what we had at the last place i lived in (college place with 5 other guys, 3 of whom are fraternity brothers)... We were cheep as hell, and during the winter, in addition to insulating the crap out of the place we rigged a little system to the dryer such that we ended up getting all the heat with almost none of the moisture. only cost a dozen or so bucks, and along with everything else helped us only spend 400 for gas the entire long Cleveland winter.

18. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Oct 4 2006, 01:16 PM) [snapback]328038[/snapback]</div>
    That was my grandpa's car, jerko! :eek: :angry:

I had a feeling it was you all along. <_< :huh:

19. bhaynnes

bhaynnes Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(terri @ Oct 4 2006, 01:47 PM) [snapback]328070[/snapback]</div>

I park my prius in the front room. The first time, it played heck with the picture window and the planters, but it is OK now. I can sit in the front seat and watch my big screen T.V.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Oct 4 2006, 12:46 PM) [snapback]328023[/snapback]</div>

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

20. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Oct 4 2006, 03:16 PM) [snapback]328038[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, I think it's the panties you've taken to wearing under your street clothes that might have triggered that old guy's gaydar.