1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Really big drop in MPG after two new front tires...from 400 miles a tank to 250.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by sunking247, Sep 27, 2010.

1. richardp

richardp New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought 4 new tires recently. There was a significant loss in mileage until I restored proper inflation (35psi doesn't do it). Once tires were inflated properly my mileage returned.

2. sunking247

sunking247 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks folks for the advice. Though it seems my post touched off a battle of new tires in front or back!
    In response to peoples' posts:

-No other new work done to the car since I bought it 30000 miles ago. Only recommended oil changes. I did change out the air filter and cabin air filter about 2 mos ago, after talking with a mechanic at my local Toyota dealership about tips on more mpg. They hadn't been changed in 25000 miles, lots of leaves and debris on the cabin air filter! Did check those yesterday, and they're both still fine.

-Yes they were cheaper tires, only $160 for the pair plus alignment and balancing, but were the same size. I'm trading the car in in October or November, so did not want to spend alot on tires I won't be using.

-Tire PSI is 42 front and 40 in back.

NOTE! I'm on my 3rd tank of gas since getting the tires (about 1000 miles since putting them on), and currently getting about 300 miles per tank. Hopefully the drop in mpg was related to the tread on the new tires, and will be getting better over time.

It does rain alot here in north Florida this time of year, so I'm thinking about following the advice to put the newer tires on the back.

3. krg03

krg03 Not expert, just experienced

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    LOL
    If you are trading it in November........why worry?

4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Whats that in MPG?

5. scottyfon

scottyfon New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I broke a wire coming from the brakes... to do with the antilock functions. Take the wheel off and look for the wire, it's easy to break with tire chains, which is how I did it. That caused a dragging brake which dropped my mileage to 250 per tank, just like yours. So I soldered it back together with a short piece of wire added in, and sealed it with three layers of shrink tube, and got good mileage again. Jack up the wheel and spin it, to see if it drags. Fix it before you need new brake pads, like I should have done.

6. Econ

Econ Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    DUH! Always check your tire pressure after any service.

:rockon: