1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Really considering purchasing a Prius c but concerns about if it will get the job done

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by SDBoltsFan, Aug 30, 2013.

1. SDBoltsFan

SDBoltsFan New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I would like to first say that I've done a lot of research but this is something I want to ask the community of Prius c owners for their opinions.

I've fallen in love with the Prius c! I've always kind of wanted a Prius liftback but for some reason the body just did not seem right to me. Not to say that I think the liftback is ugly, but it just didn't seem like what I was looking for. However, when I first saw a Prius c at the dealership I couldn't believe how beautiful it was! I like that it looks more "sporty" than a liftback because I am a male college student. I am not saying I would do anything stupid like street race but just driving a nice looking car around and getting 50+ MPG would be awesome.

Here's the dilemma: I am not sure it can haul my things for me. I am expecting to make at least one 300-mile drive a year. I'm not going to be hauling things like a bed or table or anything but it would be luggage and things like that. I also would probably hitch a bike to the back of the car. I know that the c has quite a bit of cargo room, plus I'd fold down the rear seats. My biggest concern and probably the thing that would prevent me from purchasing it is that the car wouldn't be able to make it, especially when I come across slopes.

What has your guys' experience driving with a lot of cargo been like? I may not have to carry everything by myself in the c but it would be great if I could. This is also a big reason why I'm in the market for a Tacoma too, but I think the c just fits me so well. I can just imagine getting around my college town and parallel parking downtown with ease! I also would think I'd make plenty of trips on certain weekends like hour drives or so.

What do you guys think? I'd love to own a Prius c (Blue streak metallic!) but not if it would struggle carrying cargo.

EDIT: Also, in case it matters, I'd probably purchase a 2013 c1 or c2.

2. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    It can make it.

I've travelled with a full load of four passengers which I dare say is more weight than any load you'll have driving solo. Car dealt with it totally fine. I barely even noticed to be honest with you.

The c loves the city - the torque from the electric motor gives it more pep than a traditionally-powered car of similar power and weight would have as you move around at city speeds and city stop/go, plus it has a great turning circle. The other thing I like is that if you're just cruising along and want to give it a little kick, for example when you want to make a quick and clear lane change, the electric motor will respond immeadiately. There's no changing gears and delay while the petrol motor revs up. This is not something the numbers on a piece of paper can tell you, because it's not a traditional car.

It does fine out on the open road too. It's not a power car, no, but it does fine. Most of the time, the car encourages you to drive efficiently, but if you want or need to put your foot down for a steep climb, it has plenty to give. If you spend a whole trip doing it - and I have done - it won't give you the same stratospheric fuel economy numbers it is capable of, but it will still be better than a traditional car and that's your choice to make.

Have you taken one out for a test drive?

minkus likes this.
  3. minkus

minkus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Two days ago, I had four people (including myself) and three dogs at the same time in my 2012 blue c2 and it handles it just fine. The only time I've ever had "trouble" is going up steep hills (10-15% grade) from a stop, but even then, if you push the pedal hard enough it'll go. I don't think one 300-mile drive with luggage and a bike each year warrants a Tacoma - if you really want tons of room, you can always rent a larger car for your yearly trip, but I think you'll find the C can handle it just fine.

Rob.au likes this.
  4. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    My wife and I just did a 1200 mile round trip to Rochester NY with a trade show display in a 5' x 2' x 1' hardcase tucked in the back of my c (it just fits), along with luggage for ten days, a mini-fridge, and miscellaneous other stuff. No problems driving through the Catskill Mountains with the cruise control set at 69.

5. SDBoltsFan

SDBoltsFan New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Thank you for the detailed response! Yes, I have taken it for a test drive and it had a little more zip than I expected but I just wasn't sure if it would be a smart buy considering what I'd want to haul.

Well, I was using the 300-mile trip as an example of probably the maximum amount of hauling I'd do. I can still see myself using it every now and then and making road trips with people but the amount of cargo wouldn't be comparable to when I'd move in to school or move out to go home.

Right now I really am leaning towards purchasing one. It just seems so practical. I love that it's a very green car; I've always wanted a car that's smart and good for environment. The fuel efficiency is also a huge part of it. I mostly like it just because of the look and how compact and easy-to-drive it is.

This weekend I will be heading down to the Toyota dealership to shop again, and since it's Labor Day weekend with the 0% APR for 60 months on Prii, I hope I will drive home in a nice blue streak metallic.

minkus likes this.
  6. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have 2 hybrids (Prius and Escape) and I've been very happy with both of them. Not only the fuel economy, but the reliability and overall smoothness are great. I would have a hard time going back to a "normal" car.

Regarding the cargo capacity, you'd be surprised with what you really need and how much stuff you can squeeze into a car when you need to. You could also add a cargo carrier if needed, this bag looks nifty.

7. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Find someplace to rent one for a few days and you'll know if it's the right car. It's underpowered with
    lackluster handling, but it will get excellent MPG. It's not a cramped front passenger compartment.
    On long trips the road noise will be an issue IMO. Other than that, it's a great "little car" with decent
    utility and practicality. You might also look at the Toyota/Scion xB for a little bigger vehicle.

8. nasimiyu

nasimiyu New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

I have a 2013 c2 in blue streak metallic and just used it to move apartments. It handled the cargo great, but it wasn't that far (about 20 miles). The car takes A LOT with the seats down.

If you do go for it, I'd get the C2 for the cruise control if you're making that long a drive!

9. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    I disagree with the handling part and the noise thing is just plain not right. There are already threads where people have pulled out the dB measurements and compared them to other vehicles and found them to be on par with the quietest.

People can have their own opinions, but can't have their own facts.

Toyota Prius C Performance Numbers | PriusChat

Wind Noise - I like it. | PriusChat

It's the #1 comment I get from people travelling in my car - "Your car is so quiet!", up there with "Your car is so smooth!". But woops none of those people were motoring journalists, just normal people who travel in cars.

acs326, RocMills and coyote303 like this.
  10. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    That's fine. I just compared my 2013 C to my 2013 C-Max Energi. The road noise
    in the Prius was terrible. The handling is even worse and the power is lackluster.
    It's all personal opinion, so don't take it too hard. I guess I have a higher standard.

11. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Handling is opinion and you're entitled to yours. You have a different opinion - you don't have a "higher standard".

Noise is not an issue of opinion... but I've linked to the hard facts. If you want to claim otherwise, that's your call, but it's been measured and the numbers are there for all to see (and they don't agree with you).

acs326, ftl and minkus like this.
  12. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Get a c2 over a c1 for sure if you can.

13. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle