1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Really dumb question about TsS

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Frederickdawg, May 18, 2016.

1. Frederickdawg

Frederickdawg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Was just wondering, in stop go traffic below 19mph will the car stop by applying the brakes for driver? It is my understanding that it will. It's just wife sometimes panics thinking I'm gonna tap the person ahead of me in traffic. I mostly keep a cars distances or at least enough so that I can see their back wheels.

LG-H901 ?

ETP likes this.
  2. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    Yes. And you will hear a sound similar to when (at a stop) you mash the breaks down real hard for a (break) lock.

ETP likes this.
  3. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it stops. It happens in my garage, where I have to park the car in a tight space going 0-1 mph. You can change the sensitivity of the automatic braking also in the 4.2 in TFT display.

ETP and Frederickdawg like this.
  4. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yep wondered about that myself as I thought someone said 7MPH and above for something.
    I volunteer you to check it with video cameras.

Frederickdawg likes this.
  5. Gen 2 Tom

Gen 2 Tom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So at any speed, such as a roll at 2 MPH it will apply the brakes before rear ending the car in front of you. Correct?

6. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    Yes

And the creepee crawl, with stops that you have to tap the accelerator to resume.
    No where close to rear end.
    Done that this morning, soo bad it got 72 mpg for my morning commute.
    Cruze set at 75 mph the whole time.

7. PriUncut

PriUncut Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    So if you have Toyota Safety Sense (TsS) and the car will apply breaks... why do you need Intelligent Clearance Sonar (ICS) ?

Is it because TsS will stop you from hitting objects (or cars) in front of you... and ICS alerts and stops you from objects that are more off center? Like lampposts or walls? Is that the difference?

ETP likes this.
  8. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The ICS only warns you about how close you are getting to an object (with different warning beeps). It's better to know how close you are getting to something before the car brakes for you. I you made a turn too tight, and you were about to scrape the left or right side of the car, that's where the ICS helps.

ETP and PriUncut like this.
  9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Errr, BIG ASTERISK!!!

If you don't have DRCC engaged, it will not apply the brakes at 2 mph unless you have Intelligent Clearance Sonar. (Pre-Collision System is functional above a 7 mph relative speed difference)

However, if you had DRCC engaged prior and the car slowed you down to 2 mph and you're still rolling with DRCC engaged, then it will come to a stop when the car in front finally stops.

There's a slight difference! We don't want you crashing a car unintentionally!

See above. ICS willl apply the brakes if it thinks you're going to hit something at slow speed (forward, backing up or if you cut the corner too sharply and will hit that pillar/column beside you).

DRCC is cruise control and obviously only works going forward. It's a full speed and will bring the car down to a stop if the DRCC is left engaged.

bwilson4web, ETP and PriUncut like this.
  10. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I think I might have it figured out after reading posts a 6th time. Maybe!
    So the cruise control switch left in the on position while backing and pulling forward will not affect this function?

#10 ETP, May 21, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016
  11. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well with drcc we all know it applies brakes.
    Was merely wanting to know if it had something like the previous ride called smart city brake assist. Basically it applies brakes and stops vehicle at any speed below 19mph. That was Mazda tech trim which also didn't have the proximity sensors on bumpers. Just a sensor or camera on windshield it had.

LG-H901 ?

ETP likes this.
  12. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    So who is going to do a OPS check

13. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not unless I want a divorce. I'm out.

LG-H901 ?

ETP likes this.
  14. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I think I might have it figured out for me. Maybe!
    So the cruise control switch left in the on position while backing and pulling forward will not affect this function? I normally turn it off but was curious.
    Manual says it may not detect flesh.

#14 ETP, May 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016
  15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep in mind that I'm telling you all this based on reading the manual, watching the videos and of course having a pretty good idea of how Toyota programs their features. I don't have a Prius w/ ICS to test.

The CC on/off function doesn't do anything. It has to be set for DRCC to work. If you're going a decent pace (say 25-30mph) and click set, it'll set to 50km/h (31 mph) as the default. From now on, even if you cancel (but leave the CC on), you can hit "RES" (up on the stalk) to set CC back to 31mph.

ICS is the function that deals with low-speed collision avoidance. Yes PCS works too but PCS only works going forward and only for pedestrians and vehicles and only if the speed difference between your car and the object in front of your car, that the radar and camera can detect, is 7mph or greater.

ICS is the closest to Smart City Brake Assist on the Mazda or CitySafety in the Volvos. The difference is that ICS works for forward and reverse drive (Because of the sensors all around the car) and will also avoid scraping the side of the car IF the sensors detected an object (like a pillar) beforehand.

However, ICS possibly differs from Smart City Brake Assist or CitySafety in that I don't know if it detects pedestrians. I don't know if ICS uses the camera or whether it's strictly sonar-based.

So in some sense, it's the same but in another sense, it's not. Do the above two paragraphs make sense to you?

ETP and PriUncut like this.
  16. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Need a set of targets in an open parking lot and do a test. Cardboard may not be dense enough.

17. Chris Clark

Chris Clark New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe I have missed something but cars with ICS did not look to have sensors on the side of the car. I thought they were all on the front and rear bumpers. However, it did look like the sensors closer to the edge of the bumpers were more at an angle.

Am I correct?

ETP likes this.
  18. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    4 sensors on the sides and I think it is for passing traffic only. Not sure how these work.

19. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    There are four side sensors total, one on each corner, low by the wheel well on the side of the nearest bumper. There are no sensors along the doors or anywhere else on the side of the car between the wheels.

The system is constantly recording the data, like a TiVo or the radio buffer in the premium sound system. The recording buffer is not very long -- approximately 20 seconds if I remember my manual correctly. It uses those past seconds of what the sensors have "seen", plus the vehicle speed, direction, and steering angle to essentially map in 2-D space where the obstacles are now based on where both they and the car were the last time the obstacle was detected by a sensor.

It's rather ingenious, though between the 20-second time limit and how good the spatial logic may or may not be, I'm not planning to test it. I fooled it once and it freaked out about a tree that I had driven near while turning but alarmed when it was later 6 feet away.

ETP likes this.
  20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are 4 sensors (one on each corner of the car) that is actually at the side of the car, close to the wheels. The other 8 sensors are mounted facing forward or backwards (4 directly forward/backswards and 4 at the corners somewhat diagonally). If the car detects an obstacle beside the car, it will calculate, based on steering angle and therefore its programmed trajectory to know whether you might be make contact with the obstacle. So it doesn't detect it directly but it's just using computed trajectory.

I don't have an ICS-equipped Prius to test it but that's what I've read./watched.

ETP likes this.