1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Really leaning toward a 2014 Prius Plugin, need your opinions/thoughts

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by inferno, Aug 3, 2014.

1. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, even though I'd say I might wait for a Volt 2.0 or Gen 4...with the news that Gen 4 is delayed and potentially the PiP version delayed even another year I feel like pulling the plug (no pun intended) and officially trading in my 2010 Gen 3 for a plugin.

What are your thoughts?

My commute is 170 miles on one day a week and only a plug at home. All the other days it's 15 miles round trip and a max 20 miles commute a day (1 time to plug at home again).

My 2010 Prius is 63k and I've been quoted $12k or $13k trade-in value. Is this good? I was going to trade for a 2013 PiP that was used with 25k but was told it was only serviced once which gave me a red flag.

What do you guys think? Is it a bad decision, should I stick it out with my Gen 3 to 100k? It's very close to being paid off.

Another factor, we officially have solar panels on the roof.

Please let me know your opinions, was thinking of moving forward with it tomorrow !

To let you guys know...It's about $29k after the $2k incentive. We're thinking of the $1.5k graduation (recent student) - MA has another $1.5k for EV rebates (set to expire June next year and about a quarter of it has been used already), then the $2.5k should still be in effect for Toyota.

Then of course there's the $13k trade in value and I think we could easily save ~$2 a day or over $4 a day on those long hauls especially if our panels offset our total usage and the electricity is almost 'free'.

Thanks for all the knowledge and everyone who contributes to this awesome forum! I feel a little odd about trading a Gen 3 with a Gen 3, but knowing the delay (and it may be more than that) and our Prius has gone through many fixes and what not, I feel like a new car is a good clean slate (our gen 3 had some dings parked in parking lots in feet of snow, ran over its share of potholes etc)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    depends on what kine of deal you can get... if your numbers are correct, it depends on how long you keep it. if it's all about the money. when you say your commute is 170 miles (wow), and 'all the other days' does this mean two?:cool: that's not much charging, but could be fun on the weekends.

3. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I dun get it :p I just priced out the deal. $29k - $13k (tradein) -$1.5 basically $17.5k out the door but not including MA rebate and fed incentive. Is there a way to barter a better deal!? ;)

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i spoke to soon, see my edit.:oops:

5. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Do the math. I doubt you will save any money. Some $10+k for the PiP after trade in is quite a long time to recoup at $2-$4 a day. I think it's best to just wear out your current Prius and purchase a Tesla Model III in say 2019 or whatever is available in 5 years.

markabele and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Even for a trade for used?

'all the other days' is the 6 other days of the week. But indeed you're right, in effect from my calculation even with 'free' electricity I would recoup $200 a year. However, maybe I avoid $1,000 or so maintenance cost the first 2 years (new tires, minor fixes on the bottom, plastic fixes, oil change tire rotation etc...)

Plus I'm assuming 50 mpg when in fact it could be 52 mpg or perhaps more

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what are you getting now? should be a 5-10% increase, not counting the electricity. sorry, i'm having senioritis tonight. 15 to 20 miles 6 days a week? this is the perfect car for you. and solar panels? why would you want a volt, that would be overkill. look at my stats, i do 15-20 a day, plug in at home only, and 90 miles one day a week.

8. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My average for my 2010 prius is 48mpg lifetime. Wife doesn't care too much, she just wants to get there. So I'm thinking plugin...she can now get there within 10 miles or so hassle free lol.

What are the type of 'deals' people are getting though? I was considering a volt because of that long commute and if we wanted to do a long commute to the mall or something...But I was thinking in more of the lines of a Volt 2.0 (wait for hit) since they're supposed to be 5 seaters.

The long commute for me would what, top off electric at around 55 (optimistically) then switch to 39-40 mpg for the rest of the 115 miles? That's 2.875 gals of gas where the Pip would do what, 160 miles of gas at optimistically 52 mpg - a little higher at 3 gals of gas, but would be cheaper overall and I cannot ignore the fact it's a 4 seater vs 5.

9. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Excuse my posts as I've become a bit disenchanted having to sink over $1k into our Prius the past year and I feel like more will popup :( It's not the car's fault, partially our own fault with kids and what not and unfortunate large potholes here and there...

I'm thinking clean slate, but want to honestly know what every person think - am I crazy? Should I stick it out? I might sink another $1k this year, who knows what else can go wrong !

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    dianne has some great pricing, road trip?

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that used '13 might be fine, it doesn't take much service. i did an oil change at 5k and 15k, i'm at 20k now. tyre rotations at 5k intervals.

12. 7-0-SAV

7-0-SAV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When your 2010 gen Prius is paid off, you could save more money by going from full coverage insurance to liability. This decision is up to you of course.

The solar panels may not generate enough electricity for you on overcast days, another factor to consider. I'm unsure whether the panels generate enough power for your household on any given day, and how many sunny days there are in your area. It's great you're thinking about how to potentially save more money, but as with most car purchases, it's almost always more economical to drive your current car to the ground before upgrading.

The regular liftback model still gets great MPG overall. The savings won't amount to much on your 170 mile commute. Not enough to spend hundreds per month for a year or two to pay off a new PIP.

Aside from the financial perspective, having a spare tire in the trunk is a great feature to have for long trips, one feature lacking in the PIP I weighed considerably before purchasing.

I think the PIP would only be a smart purchase in your case if there is a green decal for carpool lane access, similar to California.

#12 7-0-SAV, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  13. Kurt Weiske

Kurt Weiske Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I second 7-0-SAV's comment - the thing that pushed me over the wall to get a PiP was the ability to get one of the few remaining HOV stickers available. With your weekly commute you'll probably only get 10-15% EV usage, but it's nice to have EV on the weekends when running errands.

I'd be leery of the "only one service" comment -- the service interval is pretty rigorous. I just had my 5K service, which wasn't much more than checking that the floor mat was fastened, fluids check and tire rotation. Oil changes are every 10K so the PiP you're looking at should have had 2 by now.

14. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The money part seems obvious ... an EV is not going to save you money.
    I'm not sure what version PiP you are considering but I have read about much lower purchase costs. Sorry I do not know details.

If you want an EV, then a PiP seems like a good choice for your driving routine. I can certainly understand the attraction now that you have PV. Are the panels producing more than your home consumes ?

#14 SageBrush, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  15. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    It appears you are looking for an economic justification for a non-economic situation. Use the economic analysis along with all the non-economic priorities that also matter to you and your family. Specifically when you say "stick it out" what would be your decision point later? The economics might be the same, better, or worse. Yet I expect you have some priority for making the change. [I for one would absolutely like to use solar generated fuel as soon as viable even if a short term economic hit was involved. What I would not like is taking out a loan (or bigger loan).]

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It'll cost some money to restart the ODO back from 0 miles. :)

17. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Inferno,
    If you buy the PiP 1.0 tomorrow, how happy will you be with it in ~ 18 months when PiP 2.0 arrives with say double the EV range, new toys, AWD, and a new look ?

If the answer is 'not very,' I suggest you keep making car payments to a personal 'PiP 2.0' savings account. You will then be in very good financial shape to enjoy the new car on the block in 2016.

#17 SageBrush, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
    markabele likes this.
  18. mmmodem

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Would you rather pay a $1000 for maintenance over 2 years or $5000 in car payments? Heed Sagebrush's advice.

19. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's rarely a paying proposition; it's never easy to justify the extra cost, but...

It's hard to beat the feeling of a $30 gas fill-up after 500 miles.

20. mmmodem

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Pretty easy to beat if you're filling up after 700 miles. :) Come on Greg, you can do better.