1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Really really annoying rattle from the boot/trunk area...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Bronze84, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Bronze84

Bronze84 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys.

This has been bugging the hell out of me and I can't trace the cause.

So.... When on my journey I get a really annoying rattle coming from the boot/trunk area. Doesn't matter how fast or slow I'm going nor does it matter whether the road is smooth or bumpy. It's. A hard noise to describe, it's definitely a rattle though.

I took the load cover out, no joy.
    I've checked the plastic lining for the boot, no joy
    I checked the locks for the plastic hidden tray, no joy
    I've checked that the spare wheel is locked down properly and the jack etc are secure, no joy
    I've checked the 12v battery and the compartment on the other side, no joy either!

The only thing I haven't checked is the cover on the HV battery. The funny thing is, I had a full load in the boot/trunk last weekend and the rattling stopped :-/

Anyone got any ideas or had a similar experience?

2. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What do you mean by "I've checked"... did you pull all this stuff out and go for a drive around the neighborhood?

I'd work my way up from a completely stripped rear end.

Does the rattle sound like it's coming from inside or out? Might be your exhaust, hard to tell from this far away. ;)

3. Blu-ray

Blu-ray Blizzard Brigade #215

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Someone else on here was hearing a rattle in the back end and it turned out to be the license plate. Check to see how secure it is.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's probably something you've already looked at. if you put weight on the back floor, and the rattle stopped, wouldn't that make sense?

5. Bronze84

Bronze84 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What I mean by 'I've checked' is that I stripped each part out one by one, except the 12v battery of course. For that I just checked the mount it is housed in.

Haven't checked the number plate so will have a gander at that.

Its definitely a noise from the inside though. I'm tempted to just sticky foam everything

6. PriusLFC

PriusLFC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    did you suss this out?

I Have a noise which is bugging me too, its like a wheel turning in the boot a squeal or squeak its like is something pivoting on something.

I have tried different things and the noise goes away for a little while but comes back after driving for a while. Sometimes it faint some times loud. But annoying as hell.

I have have noticed if I do hard turning like I throw the car in the bends the noise stops for hours only to come back.

I have also noticed that my seatbelt tensioner ratchets aren't working unless i really wack them out quick, faster than any possible scenario. The Left hand side rear is worse than the drivers side one as the left side is used more often. I ordered a used one to dissect and to see if its a spring on the pre-tensioner on the seatbelt thats rocking. I will let you know how I get on.

I drive mine as a taxi and it is very annoying.