1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Really skeezy dealer experience...had to share...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by SW03ES, Jun 18, 2009.

1. freo-1

freo-1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It depends what 2009 you compare against which 2010.

For example, I prefer my 2009 Prius Touring to the 2010 base model. I do not like the new center console, and I think the Touring handles better than the base 2010.

Besides, I got a great deal on the 09 Touring. I got a lot of money knocked off with the package #6, plus cheap financing to boot. No deals to be had on the 2010.

2. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Plenty of threads to talk about the preferences of the '09 to the '10.

One thing I wanted to add about this salesman, the sad part was he was probably one of the more Prius-knowledgable salespeople I've met. My wife and I both commented on that as we were expounding our frustration when we got back in our car. The young guy at Fitzgerald was a very nice guy but he didn't know a whole lot about the product, this guy did. For some reason though he seemed to want to prove that he knew more than we did and use that knowledge as something to hang over our heads, hence his parting line "I want you to realize that I know more about the Prius than you"...why do I need to be told something like that even if it were true?

At one point on the test drive he was talking about the smart key and how there is no longer a button to disable it when you go out of town, and how he always told people to disable it on the old Prius because it could lead to a battery drain after 3 weeks or so. I told him just conversationally "Oh I agree, we always shut ours off if its going to sit more than a week". Instead of continuing with the discussion as a pair of equals he says "Well someone must have told you to do that, because nobody figures it out on their own". Like I'm just some sort of imbecile I guess...

3. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  4. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  5. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  6. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I am reading this thread. I appreciate you politely trying to keep it on topic. And I appreciate sales people with integrity and honesty.

Rfruth, you're being unfair (and you're wrong, IMHO) making such broad generalizations. And I agree with Steve: Give it a rest.

7. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Pat Coleman's response shows that threads like this obviously make a difference and apparently the sales staff were given a talking to. Yesterday, I went by Jim Coleman's because when I called they said that they had several in different colors although most of them have been sold (of course, they didn't have any with solar roofs). I saw a silver and a sandy beach on the lot but had already seen these colors so asked to see the blizzard pearl, which was one of the ones they said they had. The salesman I dealt with (George) was very helpful and drove me to garage where they kept the cars that had already been promised to customers so I could see the other colors, which included the blizzard pearl and the red.

Afterwards, I took a test drive in the silver one. George answered my questions politely and didn't try to talk me out of a wanting a solar roof (which others have tried) or pretend that he knew a lot more about the car than I did. He said he would call me when one with a solar roof comes in so I can come and see it but he didn't try to pressure me into placing a deposit on one.

SWO3ES, you had mentioned customer loyalty and I agree. However, originally I had recommended the place where I bought my 2006 Prius to my friend and they are the ones that gave her some BS about asking their local and long-term customers to buy a maintenance plan. When she and I wrote separate emails to the particular fellow that I had recommended she talked to (I was impressed with him because he was both enthusiastic and knowledgable about he Prius) protesting this policy, he wrote back to her kind of back-pedaling out of it but didn't even bother to respond to my email.

This same dealership is holding a "launch event" today for which I had originally signed up to attend. When the sales rep contacted me to ask whether I was still coming I asked which colors and they had and whether there would be one with a solar roof, because that's what I'm most interested in seeing. He immediately went into "they only produce about 6% with the roof" and when I mentioned that 25% of the people who have a 2010 Prius have a solar roof - although not from this area -- he said that people in California and Texas need the roof but it isn't that necessary here. That the only thing it does is help cool the the cabin interior while it's sitting in the sun. In other words, I shouldn't want one because they don't make them and in any case I don't need one here because it's not as hot as Texas.

Another thing I've noticed: I've been going to dealers by myself. Almost everywhere I've been, I've had to ask someone for help. I'm rarely approached by a sales rep, even after they have seen me looking at cars on the lot for a while or even when I walk into the showroom. Is a middle-aged unaccompanied woman invisible? I don't want to be pounced on as soon as I get out my car, but it would be nice to be acknowledged when it's obvious I'm looking.

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The OP reminds me of an experience at an Adelaide inner city Holden dealer. I ended up feeling quite threatened when was forced to tell the truth to the finance guy about why I didn't want to buy their car. Compared to the Corolla we test drove earlier his Gemini was a piece of shit! He was making it sound like we couldn't leave his office unless we signed a purchase agreement. I was in my early 20s back then and had never been bullied like that in my life. That company went out of business.

We ended up getting an AWD Tercel from the Toyota dealer instead.

9. Willem

Willem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Bravo, Pat!

10. Midpack

Midpack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good thread, you have to appreciate how both the OP and Pat Coleman handled themselves, as it should be.

I have bought about 20 cars in my life so far, and I disagree that most car salesman/dealers are of the bad kind. They're along a continuum like most professions from good to bad, and everything in between. And it's pretty simple, I walk away from the insulting sales man (and most likely that dealer altogether) no matter what their price --- and honestly I don't believe you will get the best price once conflict enters the negotiation. You want to get along with the sales guy, even if you don't like him/her.

Face it, the 'bad approach' must work because there seem to be quite a few dealers who still work that way. And most, not all, buyers are incredibly naive about the process and often even the car they buy. My mother-in-law has no idea how to get a deal on a car, and I am sure she pays top dollar. I fear young guys, widows and many others do poorly when negotiating on a car because they fall for the (subtle) hard sell tactics.

And finally, I have worked with some outstanding car salesman. I've gotten some great deals (as low as $150 over invoice once, but that's not possible under all circumstances), but I don't begrudge the dealer and the salesman making a living. Car dealers aren't philanthropic organizations.

He's too far away for me to deal with, but I have had some exchanges with Jabber here, and he strikes me as top notch. I bet he makes a good living while satisfying buyers at the same time - nothing wrong with that.

It is funny how little some car salesman know about their products. I tend to research a lot before I even set foot in a showroom, so I hear lots of misinformation. Local dealer got their first solar and told me 'it runs the AC when you're not in the car,'. Not true, but I know how it actually works, and there is no benefit to correcting him so I nod, say "is that so," and move on with the conversation. But it's amusing...

11. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hey Ros, glad it worked out at Coleman! "George" was not the salesman I dealt with there...

12. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey Steve -- have you found your car yet?

13. Holmesman

Holmesman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here's something else salesmen should consider. Don't assume the people who have just walked into the dealership haven't done their homework. Last weekend, we visited our local Toyota dealer when "John" came running over to ask what we were interested in. When I told him we wanted to see the Prius, he started telling all about its great features like:

"If you run out of gas, you can drive for up to 50 miles on the electric engine alone"

and

"the solar roof runs the air-conditioning while the car is parked"

I corrected him on this one and said it only runs the fan.

"No," he insisted, "it runs the air-conditioning but it only cools the car to the outside ambient temperature".

By now I had decided I'd never buy a car from this guy. I understand that a salesman cannot know everything about every model in the lot, but please, don't start making things up!