1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. John Fish Kurmann

John Fish Kurmann Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    So when we went to drive my wife's 2004 Prius (~238,000 miles) on Sunday, at start-up it gave us the Master Warning Light, Check Engine Light, and Brake System Warning Light on the dash and the Hybrid System Warning Light plus a 'Problem' notification on the Multi-Function Display. My regular independent mechanic is on vacation (of course!) so I decided to take it to Molle Toyota. They read codes P3000, P0A80 and P3012 and say I need the following:
    • Hybrid battery pack
    • 12v battery
    • Hybrid ECU
    • Hybrid battery ECU
    They also recommend a fan cleaning, all told over $5,000. It seems odd to me that all of these parts would fail simultaneously, but what do those of you with more knowledge think?

As of now, I retrieved the car and will wait until my mechanic returns. I know at the very least they'll put in a reconditioned battery for a lot less than the $2,700 Molle quoted me for a new one.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The ECUs are telling you about the traction battery issue. That part's probably right.

Replacing the ECUs is a case of "shoot the messenger."

... though, while working on the battery, it's never a bad idea to take a hard look at the condition of the battery ECU.

Valiant V likes this.
  3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    There really is no such thing as a "reconditioned" battery.
    They replace the worst cells and give you back all of the other old ones that still have a little life left in them.
    I think that is a good option ONLY if you intend to get rid of the car soon.

And many/most/all dealership shops will "shotgun" all the parts at it that you are willing to pay for.
    They actually have no way of knowing that the ECUs are really bad.......until both batteries have been fixed or replaced.

Valiant V likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's a 17 year old car with a quarter million miles. not 'really' a surprise.

edthefox5 and RRxing like this.
  5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You guys are pretty rough for something that is a very common and typical repair for a Gen 2.
    99% of the time, with those symptoms, fix the battery module issue (whether by individual replacement or full replacement), possible HV battery ecu replacement if it has pin corrosion (ecus on ebay <100 bucks) and the car will be rolling again.

Or roll on through Columbia, SC and I'll get it right for you for < 1/10th dealer price you mentioned.

privilege, Another and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it doesn't exist....

How to Recondition NiMH Batteries In 3 Easy Steps &ndash; Battery Reconditioning Lab.

Not to mention the batteries I have in my families Gen 2s....

How do you think a Submarine main battery lasts as long as it does? Luck? or because it has a reconditioning regimen? We can always tell the Navy that reconditioning doesn't really exist...

7. John Fish Kurmann

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    That's a generous offer, but I'm in Kansas City, MO so it's not terribly feasible.

8. John Fish Kurmann

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I'm not surprised that there is a problem, and a major one. It just seems odd to me that all these components need to be suddenly and simultaneously replaced.

bisco likes this.
  9. John Fish Kurmann

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Perhaps I'm using the wrong adjective because that's not what this would be. It would be an entirely different pack, but not a brand-new pack.

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They likely don't. A mechanic suggesting to replace the ECUs just because they did their job of telling you about the battery is a shoot-the-messenger style of repair.

Valiant V likes this.
  11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I always advise replacing the 12 volt battery first.

It powers the ECUs giving you all the other errors. If it is low, you get fake errors.

12. John Fish Kurmann

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I will try that.

privilege and Mendel Leisk like this.
  13. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think about things like this sometimes, lol. I mostly agree with you on this, but it sure seems dependent on what's waiting at the end of the ride!!! Years ago in my younger days, I took 7 days of leave and drove from Charleston, SC to California straight through, to visit a previous girlfriend. Same thing on the way back. It was worth every second of that drive, lol. Mountain Dew, Vivarin and No-Doze helped make it happen. I found that just chewing the vivarin with no drink tasted bad enough it would keep you awake for a couple hours!!

And I'll never forget how Texas about killed me. I remember reaching the east border and the mile marker said something like 850 miles. Dang that was depressing thinking I had to drive that far to get to the other side of the state. Was finally winding down with 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 miles to go a GD sign appears that said Interstate 10 two miles ahead. WHAT IN THE WORLD? I think it was like another 200 miles on I-10 to get out of Texas. That just about mentally crushed me, lol.

#13 TMR-JWAP, Jun 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
    Valiant V likes this.
  14. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Facts are facts.
    ALL of the most common batteries are chemical based.
    The chemical reactions are complex and end up with some unwanted side reactions that "use up" the chemicals and turn them into unwanted compounds.
    There is NO WAY to reverse that process by the application of anything externally........and almost no way to do it internally either.
    Simple facts.

As for your submarine story.......those are not the same batteries that are used in cars.
    The batteries that are used in Telco's offices aren't either.
    They are made to more exacting spec's, are better taken care of and sometimes last OVER 30 years.

That happens without any "reconditioning" because the real Engineers responsible for them know that it doesn't work.

Valiant V likes this.
  15. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    If it does not have all "brand new" cells, it will still contain "old" cells, some of which might be worse off than the ones you are taking out.

You need to know exactly what you will be getting.

Valiant V likes this.
  16. Valiant V

Valiant V Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Also likely the least expensive thing to try first. Which would move it to the top of MY list!

17. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I didn't realize you were a qualified Battery Charge Electrician? What subs did you serve on?

18. Valiant V

Valiant V Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Though I'm no battery expert - I tend to agree with what you say here SS2.

Seems like an awful lot of hybrid owners have bought into (literally) the fancy chargers/dischargers that claim to "remove dendrites" and the like. I'm guessing the most they really accomplish is wringing a little more life out of an aging battery - or - maybe they didn't need to do anything at all?

19. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    None.
    But I DID work for AT&T for about 25 years, where we had battery CELLS about the size of a household refrigerator.........so I do know a little bit about "custom" batteries.

MarkySparky and Valiant V like this.
  20. Valiant V

Valiant V Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I haven't been to a central office in about 40 years - do they still use lead-acid batteries in glass cases?

MarkySparky likes this.