1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear 12v Outlet Panel

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by wjm, Sep 22, 2017.

1. wjm

wjm New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    How do I remove the 2012 Prius V rear 12v outlet panel without scratching things up? I've tried gently wedging in a screw driver around the edges, but have been unwilling to put enough force on it to risk marring the plastic. Is there a hidden catch or some such?

Thanks.

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Remove the rear lamp access panel, reach behind the shroud and pinch the outlet housing, releasing the retention prongs?

3. wjm

wjm New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Sadly, that won't work. The lamp is on the left side of the car while the outlet is on the right. My arm isn't long enough for that!

4. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I was speaking of the rear (tail) lamp access panel (left and right sides). But the result may be the same.

5. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    There are six hidden claws. Toyota’s Repair Manual (available by subscription to techinfo.toyota.com) suggests, for removal of the Rear Deck Trim Cover (the trim panel with the power outlet), to use a moulding remover to disengage them.

Molding removers are made of plastic or nylon and have a lever shape with a wide blade. You still have to be careful, but damage is much less likely than with a screwdriver, putty knife, or other metal tools.

Toyota sells a four-piece Moulding Remover Set (09061-1C300; ¥5,170), shown in the Repair Manual and very similar to the Kyoto Tool Co. ATP2014, but there’s no need for such extravagance—a set like the Neiko 20598A, sold at Amazon.com for about $10, would probably work just as well.

SnoozinJTD likes this.
  6. wjm

wjm New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    I suspected something of this sort. Perhaps next time I'm at the Toyota shop for something, I'll ask them to remove it for me. I'm assuming it's trivial to pop it off once one has seen how the catches are arranged.

Thanks.

7. wjm

wjm New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Yeah, the outlet is too far forward to reach from back there. Up above the wheel well.

8. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    So you'll have to go the trim removal tool route. From experience, choose a warm day.