1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

rear axle beam

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Buddd, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Buddd

Buddd New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hi. I just had my rear axle beam and linkages replaced after road hazard damage. The rear wheels are, now, way out of alignment. See att'd. photo of alignment measurements. Alignment shop owner feared subframe damage; sent me to a body shop. Owner there said that the frame's fine, but that the axle beam is shifted to the right by about two inches. See att'd. photo, shot almost head-on from the rear. He's said that the midpoint of the beam, #2, should be in line with the structure that I've labeled #1.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Rubber part that’s marked with 2 in your pictures is just resting in the axle beam so it can be pushed from side to side. So you can’t use it as a measuring point.

If the mounting points on a car where axle mounts move even 1cm or half an inch it should be easy to tell just by looking at them. Also you can pretty easily measure if they have moved. Could you send a picture of those mounting points? There’s a plastic part covering those but it should already been removed to replace the axle.

If those (two) mounting points are ok it has to be the problem in the axle new axle beam.

And in any case the amount (and way) that camper is off can’t really even be caused by the bending of the axle beam mounting points so the new axle has to be bad anyway.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Was it a salvage rear beam? Maybe it was in an accident too??

4. P Ma

P Ma Junior Member

Yes, it's a salvaged part. I can't get a photo of its attachment points just now; they look OK. Notice on the axle beam the concave area that I've circled in yellow on the att'd. photo whereas on the right side, there's a convexity.

Attached Files:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    So you just have a bad axle beam. Replace it with good one and then check the alignment.