1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear brake maintance

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dennis Lai, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Dennis Lai

Dennis Lai Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys,

If I replace the rear brake drum and all the shoes and hardware without the brake cylinder, do I have to perform brake bleed process with techstream after all. Will the brake cyliner pop its fok after I pull of the brake shoe?

Thank you so much

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you are careful about removing the springs and shoes, you will not push either of the pistons out of the wheel cylinder, and if you are careful that the car does not do a brake self-test while you are working, the fok will remain unpopped.

What's the mileage and the thickness of your shoe linings? Anything wrong with the brakes?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    To play it safe: disconnect neg 12 volt battery cable before starting, and when done, everything back together, push brake pedal multiple times, before reconnecting battery.

Dennis Lai likes this.
  4. Dennis Lai

Dennis Lai Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for that.
    The shoes still have decent amount of material but the drum is not so good. There are quite some deep groves when I check the surface of the drum. I can also hear little squeezes when brake down hill. Therefore, I am just considering to change the shoe with the new drum.
    Do you recommend going to some car parts stores and resurface the drum if it's within spec?
    Has anyone done it?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.