1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear brake sheilds, Shared running gear

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Allan Ball, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Allan Ball

Allan Ball New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My brake shields on the rear brakes have disintergrated, and while the backing plates are still there they are getting in a poor state. I wondered if replacements were available or if the gen 1 (2002 European version with drum and disc combination) shared its running gear with other Toyota models so I could find or adapt parts to fit.

2. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Somewhere in all my reading about the early Prius, I recall that they were fairly closely patterned after the Corollas of the day. One of the things about posting on a mostly American forum is that it's for NA spec. cars. So it never comes up much.

Are you asking if disk brakes can be adapted? While I don't have any particular experience, I suspect that with a generous application of cash anything is possible. I don't think that it would be easy, regenerative brakes and all wheel ABS could be a pitfall. And the car is so extensively computerized that it would take a lot of electronic engineering to make it work. I have a car with all wheel disk brakes--it really isn't an option I would pay anything to add. If it was up to me, I'd stay with what's worked well and keep it as simple (and cheap) as possible. Buy new or good used parts and fix it.