1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear brakes - do I need the cube tool? And other brake questions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by SB6, Mar 6, 2022.

1. SB6

SB6 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I will be doing my rear brakes soon. Trying to get everything ready before I start. I was wondering if I really need the cube looking piston tool, or if I can use one of the parts store loaner brake tool kits? For example, these:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/evertough/tools---equipment/loaner-tools/brake--tire---wheel-loaner-tools/749f067e140e/rental-tools-evertough-brake-caliper-tool-set/ren1/67090/

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-tools/brake-tool/p/oem-loaner-disc-brake-caliper-tool-57111/298604_0_0

Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance

I'm thinking I can just use the square drive tool from one of these with one of the circle attachments that has the pins sticking out? Would that work?

Also, I'm thinking to first take the rotors off and take them somewhere to see if they can be resurfaced. If not, then I can order new rotors with new pads. I don't want to buy new rotors if my current ones can be resurfaced, but I also don't want to order just the pads, then start on the brakes only to find out I need to order rotors as well.

Will need to do a brake flush/bleed as well. My brakes have been spongy for a while, and a lot of times I can feel a sort of single kick/thrust and hear a spongy rush of air when I get down to around 12-8ish mph while braking (is that when braking shifts from regenerative to mechanical?). For a bleed/flush, does fluid brand matter? Or will I be good as long as I use DOT3?

I attempted a flush previously, but either I didn't do it properly, or maybe I need to bleed the ABS module? I had a brake booster issue in the past (DTC C1345), and ended up just replacing the ABS module with the master cylinder -- not the accumulator -- due to financial issues at the time. I bought a used part (has the newer part number on it, not the old one) off of eBay and went to a local mechanic for the repair, but I don't know if he bled the ABS. Brakes work fine other than the pump running pretty often as well as the sponginess. I believe last I tried to check, the ABS bleed requires a scan tool? Is there another way someone can.point.me towards? I did get a mini-vci cable with Techstream a while back, but was unable to get Techstream to fully function, and was missing a lot of the buttons and functionality. I guess if someone could point me towards a more recent Techstream guide that has worked for people, would appreciate that also.

Other than that, any tips, or anything else I should work on while doing the rear brakes? Maybe inspect the parking brake or something? Never done that before, but if there's a guide for that, I could follow it

#1 SB6, Mar 6, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That is a very expensive and laborious way to deal with a C1345 code, which is simply the skid ECU saying "please run the linear solenoid learning routine, thank you."

Your squish noises do indicate gas needing to be bled out, and yes, you will need Techstream for that (or a comparable scan tool that can initiate the actuator and accumulator bleed sequence). Or a visit to a shop that has that.

Robert Holt likes this.
  3. SB6

SB6 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The relearn procedure was run multiple times, by different shops, but it would just fail the relearn. I took the car to the dealership too at one point,thinking that they would cover the repair under the brake booster program. They did say the brake booster would need to be replaced, but it wouldn't be covered by the program due to not having the right DTCs thrown

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Attached is brake inspection info, and the with/without Techstream bleed procedures. Also have a look at the two links in my signature with the word “brake”.

5. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have never used any of those disc tools, so I don't now if they would fit or not on the Prius rear brakes. I use the cube tool along with a 3" extension and a 3/8" drive ratchet. I can't quite remember which side of the cube I used, but I think it is the one with the quarter circles.
    https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/otc/tools---equipment/mechanics-tools/brake-tools/brake-tools---specialty/931a5b0a87a2/otc-disc-brake-piston-cube/otc0/4589

All you have to do is push and turn the cube clockwise at the same time by hand to push the rear piston in. Not much force is required. If you don't push while turning the piston would just turn and not go in.

The front brakes is like a regular car bakes and must be compressed. If you are doing the front, I would disconnect the battery terminal first. I was a newbie, so I followed the video I saw closely. The cube only costs $10.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Also, when pushing in the front, be careful, spread the load uniformly: the piston is some sorta high tech plastic.

7. SB6

SB6 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah the cube tool is cheap, but I just don't want to buy another tool and have it lying around, especially for how infrequently brakes need to be serviced on the Prius.

Btw, I was thinking of replacing the pads and rotors all around, but not sure what brand to go with. Was gonna go with Advics from RockAuto, but I can't find the Advics front rotors in stock

8. JSB_99

JSB_99 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

You can rent the caliper tool from autozone and oreilly. I tried the cube tool and it sucked and had to get the rental since it also puts pressure on the piston while turning it. My seal was stuck to the piston and wanted to bunch when trying to turn it so I sprayed a little lube under the seal and it fixed that problem.

SB6 likes this.
  9. SB6

SB6 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can you describe the set up with the rental? I'm guessing you use a 3/8" drive with the little piece, then another one of the circle pieces goes on top, then that goes on the piston?

10. JSB_99

JSB_99 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

This is the loaner tool from autozone and oreilly. The only other tool you use with it is a wrench to keep tension against the piston while turning the handle. It took me a few minutes to figure out how to use it.

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-tools/brake-tool/p/oem-loaner-disc-brake-caliper-tool-57111/298604_0_0

11. JSB_99

JSB_99 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

This is the loaner tool from autozone and oreilly. The only other tool you use with it is a wrench to keep tension against the piston while turning the handle. It took me a few minutes to figure out how to use it.

[​IMG]

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Overkill? The cube works fine. Heck, needle nose plier tips work in a pinch. The cube makes it much easier though.

13. SB6

SB6 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ah okay, so just the main piece, with none of the attachments. Didn't even think to use it like that. Wait, but where does the wrench go?

14. JSB_99

JSB_99 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not overkill when the cube tool won't stay in place and the piston is really hard to turn and no matter how much pressure you put on it while attempting to turn the thing it won't go in. Fought with the cube for hours and had it done in 15 minutes with the loaner tool.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wonder if that might be a caliper saying "please rebuild me", and the bigger-hammer loaner tool might be a way of saying "I don't hear you la la la la."

Are you from the bleeder-open or bleeder-closed school of piston retractors?

16. SB6

SB6 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Still haven't ordered brake parts... Might go with Akebono ProACT Ultra Premium Ceramic pads, but not sure about rotors.

Who are the manufacturers for OEM pads and rotors for the gen 3?

17. SB6

SB6 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    From looking around online,it seems like Advics is the manufacturer for the OEM pads, not sure though. Didn't see much info about the rotors

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You could just pick up pads/shims at a dealership parts department.

chances are the rotors are fine. You can check with a a dial indicator (with magnetic base) and micrometer (0-25 mm). More info in attached.

Attached Files:

19. SB6

SB6 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Surprisingly could not find a post with a complete list of part numbers for a brake job. Maybe I didn't look hard enough, or I'm just bad at searching these things up. But anyways, if I were to go with all new OEM parts, is this the correct list of part numbers for a 2010?

Front:
    1. Disc Brake Rotor (Front) - Toyota (43512-47040)
    2. Brake Pads - Toyota (0446547070)
    3. Disc Brake Pad Shim Kit - Toyota (04945-47020)
    4. Disc Brake Anti-Rattle Clip Set - Toyota (04947-42050)

Rear:
    1. Disc Brake Rotor - Toyota (42431-12310)
    2. Brake Pads - Toyota (04466-76012)
    3. Disc Brake Pad Shim - Toyota (04946-12090)
      1. I also found these, not sure which ones are the correct ones for my car: Brake Pads Hardware Kit - Toyota (04946-47070)
    4. (Anti-rattle clips I think) Brake Pads Hardware Kit - Toyota (04948-47010)

#19 SB6, Mar 17, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
  20. SB6

SB6 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Anybody able to confirm the part numbers I have above?
    Much appreciated