1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear brakes seized

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by johnpr, Sep 8, 2017.

1. johnpr

johnpr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    Excel
    Hi guys,

Recently I noticed a hot rear brakes, after driving uphill, with small braking to stop.. the left rear was hotter than right rear. front brakes were cold. I suspect the rear brakes are no used so much and ive read they get seized after some time.
    My mechanic had them dismantled, and cleaned the pins and the piston (he said he did) after that, the right rear has improved, still slightly warm though..
    The left rear brake is still getting hot.
    Mechcanic reckons bad caliper.
    He found some service repair kit for brakes but it didnt fit.
    What would be your recommendation?
    1.Buy new oem brake calipers(where, what is the manuf code for them)?
    2. Get toyotas brake service kit (where could i buy one, any link pls)
    Thank you in advance!

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    1. How many miles on the car?
    2. Had they been serviced (by your mechanic or whoever) before they started getting hot?

Assuming the Prius v rear brakes are similar to regular 3rd gen Prius: there's an integrated parking brake mechanism in the rear brake caliper. The face of the caliper piston has a cross pattern, that must be oriented like an "X" when pressing against the inside pad back.

There's a stubby pin on the pad back, and it needs to be in between the spokes on the cross pattern, and firmly seated thus. Failing to accomplish this, the pin will be riding on a spoke, causing extremely uneven pressure, on one side of the brake pad, and the brakes will drag badly.

I'll attach info from the regular Prius Repair Manual, hopefully similar. Here's a screen shot, regarding that piston alignment:

upload_2017-9-8_7-56-21.png

Attached Files:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The rears do have the added complication of the parking arrangement, as Mendel explained. If that doesn't turn out to be it, you can pick up some other info on a simple piston-return test, the availability of Toyota replacements (including -84 suffix Toyota remanufactured, if any) in this thread, though it was about a Gen 1. You can visit any of the Toyota dealers with online parts web sites to look up the part numbers, including for the rubber kit, which if I remember right was dealer priced around $30ish for all the rubbery bits to rebuild two calipers, and also included their specified red grease in a little packet.

-Chap

4. johnpr

johnpr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    Excel
    There is over 200k miles on the clock, service is unknown.. it is european prius+, 11/2012.
    I will have to check that pin with my mechanic..
    Also, does anybody know, how parking brake adjustment affects the brakes?
    Because my parking brake seemed loose, my mechanic tightened the cable by spinning the nuts on the end of cable.. could he overtight the parking brake?

Thanks for your help!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've attached the parking brake cable adjustment instruction, but I'm thinking it wouldn't normally go out of adjustment, it's just to ensure pedal travel is reasonable.

If you have the condition of the pin not being locked between the caliper piston spokes, that could be manifesting itself in "spongy" parking brake. Every time you apply the parking brake the pin on back of pad just slides up atop the spoke. Get your mechanic to look at the condition of that pin. If it's beveled, that would indicate it's riding up.

This is what they look like new:

upload_2017-9-8_13-34-25.png

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That should be unnecessary and ill-advised in nearly all cases that don't involve putting in a new parking brake cable or mechanism. Once that is installed and the cable is adjusted once, the ongoing adjustment to compensate for wear or the brake linings should be happening automatically via the mechanisms in the rear brakes.

If the parking brake ever does feel loose, the first thing to check should be whether the rear brake self-adjusters are, for some reason, not working. Only after that has been well ruled out would it make sense to turn to the cable adjustment.

And, yes, overtightening the cable would have the exact effect of making the rear brakes drag.

-Chap

johnpr and Mendel Leisk like this.