1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Bumper Protection

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Maz94protege, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Maz94protege

Maz94protege New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hey Everyone, Im looking at examples and ideas for the rear bumper protectors on the Prius V. The Plug-In Prius, and Liftbacks have the Prius Appliqué like this[​IMG]

but has anyone done anything different? does the appliqué really protect well? I have 2 large dogs and sometimes they are lazy and hit the rear bumper and Id like to protect it as best as possible.

thanks for all the feedback in advance.

JMD likes this.
  2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    You came to the right place. Hurry on over to the shop here and order one of these:

PriusChat Shop : 2012-2013 Toyota Prius v Rear Bumper Protector [00016-47120] - $48.99

They are a bit tricky to instal correctly, thanks to the ultra sticky 3M adhesive. Before you peel that tape off and permanently stick the thing to your bumper, take the time to lay it out and position it using masking tape to mark the bumper. Then CAREFULLY position it without letting it touch the bumper before sticking it down. Done right it looks like a factory job and is very handsome. It may show up twisted like mine did, just lay it on a flat table with some weights on it for a couple days.

3. CLUBGUY

CLUBGUY Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Agree with "jdgrimes"......the "applique cover" offers limited protection, go with the hard cover....

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I think if we are talking about dogs coming and going out of the back, I'd go with the heavier, thicker bumper protector instead of the applique type. My fear would be that eventually the dogs claws would start to scratch up the applique.

5. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Ha, my dogs never even touch the bumper when they fly in and out, I have it there to protect the bumper from ME. That, and because it looks very nice. It makes a statement: "This car works for a living." (y)

6. woppa

woppa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I found this install to be very easy. I didn't even measure. There are, I believe, 15 notches on the bumper guard. You simply open the hatch and line up the 8th notch (the one right in the middle) dead center with the latch where the hatch locks. Take the tape off and set it down by first tilting it up on the bumper as close as you can to the cargo area, then just tilt it towards yourself and stick it. I haven't measured but it looks to be completely centered.

7. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Centering is not the issue, spacing away from the hatch is the issue. The outside lip on the protector needs to hang over the edge of the bumper. Putting it too close to the hatch makes that impossible. It needs about 3/16" of spacing, but its easy to gauge if you do some placement with the tapes still on.

8. woppa

woppa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I see what you mean now that I look closely...the lip could have overhung a bit further, but I'm honestly not sure if I'd rather have that hanging over the bumper a bit more and leaving a small space on the top uncovered. The fit is not affected really.

9. PLSPUSH

PLSPUSH Active Member

I did just the opposite, centered fine, just hanging off the bumper about 3/8 of an inch. Oh well looks fine

10. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Either way its still protecting the edge of the bumper, which is what's needed.

11. Maz94protege

Maz94protege New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I plan on getting the hard/thick plastic cover as the appliqué is very lightweight when it comes to durability against dogs and being the family workhorse.

12. vsuirpsteve

vsuirpsteve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Easy pezy go with the plastic one.

13. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm glad I went with the black plastic bumper protector. Did my first road trip with the dog earlier this week and when he was jumping in and out of the car, he would end up using the bumper. Can't imagine the scratches I would've had without them!

14. Passthepump

Passthepump Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have the Prius V Appliqué but I just ordered a hard plastic bumper cover. Should I remove the Appliqué and stick on the bumper cover or just attach it without removing the appliqué ?

15. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Doesn't really matter either way. If the applique is easy enough to remove then do so. If it's stuck on there for good, leave it. the plastic guard uses 3 strips of super sticky 3M tape to hold it down.

16. Passthepump

Passthepump Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I peeled off the appliqué (dealer wasted $65 and passed it on to me) and stuck on the plastic guard. I did some practice before making the final stick on. Success and it looks great.