1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Caliper Bracket Pins

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by FatHornet, Apr 25, 2019.

1. FatHornet

FatHornet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just replaced the rear rotors and brake pads on my 2011 @ 135k miles.

One of the rear passenger caliper guide pins was totally seized. Rather than deal with a blow torch I'd like to replace the caliper bracket, guide pins, and rubber sleeve. However I cannot for the life of me find the proper bracket anywhere. The caliper is functioning properly so it does not need replacement just the seized guide pin.

Anyone replace just the bracket before and knows where to find one?

Thanks for your help.

2. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My driver's side rear caliper pin seized. I sanded down the original which still ended up with problems, so I later replaced it with a CARLSON 14256 (I think) which I bought from RockAuto. I even bought the 3m caliper grease shown in the NutsAndBolts video hoping it would prevent future rusting.

I ended up replacing the guide bin boots and rubber sleeve ring/bumper at the end of the pin with a CARLSON 16204 kit (I think). The aftermarket Carlson parts boots/ring were much smaller than the Toyota OEM, but it still fit. The boot was much shorter than OEM but the pin doesn't need to retract that far anyways. The Carlson sleeve ring was smaller than OEM. I would recommend buying OEM because of the size differences.

I plan to replace the caliper bracket this spring using one from a junkyard for about $50CAD. Sorry, but I can't really help you because I am not in the US. The Toyota dealership in Toronto, Canada sells the caliper bracket for $188CAD.

3. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  4. FatHornet

FatHornet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'll look into Carlson and see what they have. I usually order parts from Rock Auto and they don't have the brackets listed at all. While other model cars, Corolla, Camry, etc., it's a separate part to choose from. And the bracket only costs like $30. I'll keep looking.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  6. FatHornet

FatHornet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks. I'll look around with that part number. Some places only sell the caliper and bracket together.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't think Steve deals in Gen 3 parts much (the nickname "turd gen" is in circulation down there). I was there once when he happened to have a wrecked one in the yard I could pull some parts off of, but only the once. He does some business with the v.

He focuses on the Gen 2, and also a lot of RAV4s.

If you hang on to your old bracket, and have a zinc plater nearby, they can blast and replate it for not much money (whatever their minimum batch charge is, and you could have plenty more than one bracket in the batch), giving you a spare. NIce thing about the rears is I believe the same bracket is used both sides, so one spare can do you. (The front brackets are different, mirror images of each other.)