1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

rear caliper slide pin bolt question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Eddie25, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Eddie25

Eddie25 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The photos of the pins and boot kit (which appear accurate between front and rear), show it that way.

Few things I'd like to add if it could help someone out in the future...

Once the slide pins are lubed up they tend to spin when you tighten the caliper down. I don't think I have a 17mm thin enough to hold the pins, but you can put pressure on the caliper with your hand and eventually it sticks (as if it's a keps nut or something) so you can torque it down.

If you do have a seized pin, I highly recommend giving a PB blaster treatment for a day or so and working at it a little bit with a regular wrench before going to the impact to avoid the broken bolt scenario.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I was wandering around Princess Auto (Harbour Freight of the North), noticed a flatish 17 mm, it did the trick: just thin enough to fit. Or one of those stamped metal bicycle tools? Or just buy a cheap wrench and grind it down.

All that said, I found there was enough friction that it didn't rotate. It becomes a handful if you're using a torque wrench, or any kind of wrench, for the final tightening. I've put the slim 17 mm on there, then trying to work the torque wrench almost let go of the 17 mm, and it didn't seem to be rotating anyway.

3. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a very cheap, no-name 17mm wrench which is thin enough. A Craftsman or other decent wrench will be too thick.

4. Eddie25

Eddie25 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm saying you don't need one. You just got press the caliper with your hand so the nut portion of the slide pin touches the caliper, put a little pressure on, tighten it up and you're good.