1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Caliper Sliding Pin Bushing - part #??

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by andreimontreal, Aug 13, 2020.

1. andreimontreal

andreimontreal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm looking rear caliper sliding pin bushings (the anti-rattle bushings at the end of the pin) for 3rd gen Prius - with the Canadian code if different from the USA. Can anybody find that please?

On the USA site I found this product - but it says it's for Avalon, Camry, RAV4, Sienna, although I put in 2012 Prius for the car. The code in that diagram is 47769A . On the Canadian website, I found the same code for the Prius front caliper.

The rear caliper diagram for Prius has no bushing figured in there. Is it the same bushing in the rear as in the front?

#1 andreimontreal, Aug 13, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  2. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    bushing kit

Sorry, not sure if this will help you, but I replaced this part on my rear
    I think this is the part you are referring. sold as a kit.
    This is for US not sure if same in CAN

Sorry, I did not replace front, so not sure on that :(

hope this helps

#2 dig4dirt, Aug 14, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do you mean the rubber rings here:

upload_2020-8-14_8-6-34.png

Maybe you have to buy complete pins (47835)? $14 apiece is a little pricey, but not the end of the world.

An alternate source:

Buy genuine rear disc brake caliper & dust cover for Toyota Prius 3 generation, restyling 12.2011 - 11.2015 from Japan - Amayama

has the 47835's signif cheaper, at least for me on the west coast. I've used them several time, always went well. It's typically either from Japan or UAE; you need to consider which is cheaper with shipping. Also it helps to throw a few extras (if they're cheaper than local), reduces the impact of the shipping charge.

Note too, so far they never charged additional, say sales tax or duty.

4. andreimontreal

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It does! Thank you! So you used it? Did you check for heat on the rotor and whatnot? Ie making sure it doesn't drag. If you say the rotor was cool as ever, I wanna try that.

Yes. It's only sold as 47814 - the pin+bushing. For 20$. Which means 40$ so I can get 2 piece of rubber. I can't find the diagram, I have another which the guy confirmed as right. The websites are a mess, so hard to search and I got 2-3 diagrams just for the rear of a Prius (not V, not C, regular Prius).

5. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, after I did the brake service, which had to replace the caliper pins and those bushings, all was well.

I was overly cautious on checking for heat etc after each drive for a while.

It was my first brake lube/etc on a prius....and on any car. Never did it before.

I saved my old bushings just in case. But all is good.

EDIT: I think the only thing you have to check is the year 12 to 15.
    I would think they would be the same, but never know

andreimontreal likes this.
  6. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That link I sent for amazon, it is $6 USD

What do you see on your end? Available to ship to CAN or no?
    Sorry, not sure how amazon does it up there

7. andreimontreal

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Awesome! Buying now. Fingers crossed.

Smart fam threw a couple away - before I could open my mouth; only saved a couple of those. Mine is 2012. Carid says that those should be good for Prius 10 to 17. What year is yours?

Actually that's a great question. I was redirected to Amazon.ca right away (the commerce monopoly mafia got all the tech dialed). I see 13.22 CAD - which is 9.98 USD - with free shipping. Comparing with Carid's 3.72 USD and your 6 usd - what can I say, I'll laugh. But given how much I've been through and that my only option is 40$ from the stealership, this looks heavenly - especially if I need spares in the future.

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The Amayama link I posted has the pins for $5~ apiece. Again, there's a shipping charge, so you'd want to maybe throw in a few extras. But no sales tax or duty.

They're not always cheaper, but worth checking out.

9. andreimontreal

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The website is awesome Mendel - thanks for that, is that a source you get parts from usually?

They are cheaper btw vs stealership, even as 2 pieces they're half the price (and even cheaper as I get more pieces) but a bit too long to get here for what I need - and twice the price almost compared with Dirt's option (and if that works, then it's enough - I'll try Monday - if it doesn't work then I'll order from Japan asap and be done with it). By next week I'm getting warranty replacements for the defective calipers/discs from Raybestos - I filed a warranty report and sent an email with Techstream analysis and a clip with the blackened discs making grinding noises to make sure they get my message and frustrations - and I wanna make sure I make the current set-up not heat (which means I still have one side with Raybestos bushings on, the oem side is fine). Once I confirm that my brakes stay relatively cool to the touch, then I know I'm good to change the parts and hopefully be done with it for a few good years.

PS: if it doesn't work, I'm telling amazon about how defective they are and asking for my money back. Only delayed by a couple of days like this.

10. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2015

I did the work a year ago

My rear pins were really bad and the one was so bad it was almost rusted in the caliper.
    Took a while to get out.
    Somewhere there are pics on PC.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Amayama delivery times are slow but reliable. Recall it was always at least a week. But carefully packed.

12. andreimontreal

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My seized caliper was exactly like you say. I still have it.

Unfortunately, it feels a bit too fat. It drags more than the Raybestos for sure. I found that part even at RockAuto and it says it's for Prius 10-18. I left the Raybestos on since they were moving freely.

I think I'm going with the Jap website at this point.

What I don't understand is that with the Raybestos, the pins are moving relatively easily so I don't understand what makes the difference at all.

13. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    So you got the new on already?

I dont think so, but you sure your rear pins are for the rear?
    I dont think they would fit otherwise, but just asking.

So you have one new caliper? and that is the one with the issue?

14. andreimontreal

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The caliper was exchanged this winter. The pin is the one that was on the caliper and seems to be the right size. The rubber bushing from Carlson seems to be a bit too fat though. I really have to push and pull to make it move inside - it's creating pressure like a pump with very little grease. I'm baffled.

15. andreimontreal

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went to the dealer to get those pins, since I burned with desire to find out the outcome and here's the thing: the oem bushings feel slightly fatter than Raybestos, maybe 25% in between OEM and Carlson. And I'm pissed because no matter what, that caliper still drags.

Now I gotta say Carlson nails down the rubber and the shape but it had tiny ribs from where the injection mold had the pieces come together. The OEM are flawless pieces of art. And Raybestes are hard rubber straight (vs non tapered for oem and Carlson) bushings. Maybe I'll attach a pic later. Moving this conversation to the thread "caliper dragging".

16. andreimontreal

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    On vac, just thumbing on a cell phone, not much access. What ever you're considering, just enter your car stats, study the pics carefully, and let the site confirm compat.

They're virtually all Toyota branded, and when no longer avail they sometimes offer what's very likely the same thing, same actual manufacturer, but without the Toyota tags.

18. andreimontreal

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mendel Leisk likes this.