1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Camera for Pre-06's?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by rosieox, Jan 5, 2006.

1. rosieox

rosieox Junior Member

We have an 05 with package #6. Does anyone know if we can go to a Toyota Dealer and have a rear camera installed into our 05 model?

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Maybe. I know you can get a third-party setup. At a Toyota dealer I saw ads for rear cameras.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm still bugging one of the salesman to tell me when they get a price for the installation of the rear camera for pre-06 models.

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Because it was unavailable?

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, he simply doesn't the know the price of the backup camera as an accessory.

6. slortz

slortz New Member

While I was at the dealer getting the ECU reflash done I went to the parts department to ask about the cost of the rearview camera. Just the camera that installs in the rear hatch and nothing else. Blew me away! Over $600!
    I already have everything setup to accept the rearview camera signal with the Soundgate VidToyo unit. I just haven't settled on what camera to use. I've heard that the lux rating is crucial and you don't want anything higher than 1.0. Also, have to make sure it is wide angle. To me 90 deg might be minimum, 100deg good, and 120+deg ideal. Prices range from about $40 all the way to $250 with the ranges mostly being separated by whether a CMOS or CCD sensor is used.

Anyway it seems like getting the 2006 with the rearview camera installed is the way to go cause trying to do it after the fact with the OEM is ridiculously expensive.

Since I have a 2004, I'll keep searching for something that looks OEM, is good quality, and doesn't break the bank. Tough order to fill.

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have been planning to get a camera. I have an 04 and have installed the CAN-View with the addition of a converter box it will accept video input and is set up to use rear view camera. I have seen threads where folks have purchased the OEM camera for the 04 from Japan and I don't think it was that expensive. Would the 06 OEM camera even work on the 04-05. I believe that I will need a camera with RCA connectors. I think that you can pick up an after market camera for way less than 600 but you can also get close to that price for one.

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    doesnt the '06 MFD have a higher resolution and (i'm guessing) a totally different interface configuration? i would think that some sort of adapter would be needed since the OEM camera is probably hardwired to the cable that goes to the video in.

9. slortz

slortz New Member

I'm not sure about the resolution difference. I only thought there would be a concern in getting the right standard, NTSC or PAL. I could be wrong.