1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Dash Cam Placement

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by newprimeuser, Aug 27, 2019.

1. newprimeuser

newprimeuser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Where is everyone installing the rear dash cam in a Prius Prime? Looking for some experience in this.

There seem to be two options, but neither gives a good (cellphone) view.

1) On the wavy back windshield. Stick to sloped windshield. Hatch blocks part of view.

2) Looking out the vertical piece of glass at the far rear. But where to attach the camera? Vertical glass or the plastic trim? The plastic trim is not smooth.

I tried placing my cell phone in those two places and the view does not look very good in both places. Perhaps a wide-angle dash cam would look better and my fears are unfounded.

Any suggestions on specific dual cameras that work well with Prius Prime are also appreciated!

2. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

VA, BMW Race Car, BMW R1200R, BMW 330Ci, Ford F350
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My dedicated rear dash cam is mount on the wavy glass as high up as possible directly behind the driver.

I find that this is my best location, the cam sees through the rear window & the smaller lower tinted window.

The power cord connects at the center rear seat 12v outlet.

Rob43

Tha_Ape likes this.
  3. newprimeuser

newprimeuser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thank you Rob43.

That's an interesting location, directly behind the driver. I had not considered that. So it is off center. Is this to get a better view out of the lower tinted window? The lower tinted window is narrower at the center and taller/wider at the sides.

4. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

VA, BMW Race Car, BMW R1200R, BMW 330Ci, Ford F350
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That location really works great, mounting it off center makes no difference when the camera has a 170 degree field of view.

Personally I don't want these cams blocking any of my vision, when I purposely look at my rear cam I see about a 1/3 of the screen to verify that it's recording. If I shift my body a little I can then see the whole camera, in the end I want it to be unobtrusive & working 100% of the time. My front camera is mounted on the passenger side of the rear view mirror as high up as possible with the same thinking of being unobtrusive.

Rob43

5. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Mine dangles down vertically on a fabricated aluminum "L" bracket wedged into the plastic trim vertically right in front of the rear window behind the driver's side. It's been there recording faithfully for the past seven years. It is plugged into the rear 12volt outlet.

Every time I start the car, I can see the screen come on in the rear view mirror.

parked likes this.
  6. mveras1972

mveras1972 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That is exactly how I mounted my front dash cam, right behind the rear view mirror toward the passenger side. I never get to see the camera from the driver side.

iPhone ?

Rob43 likes this.
  7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For my Gen3, I just stuck its double-sided-tape glass mount to the vertical glass strip window, almost as far too the right as possible. It is small enough to very minimally obstruct the over-the-inside-shoulder view there, that is the least necessary portion of my view through that window, I can still see all the way around it, and I'm happy with the resulting unobstructed wide-field videos.

Rob43 likes this.