1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Dashcam

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by chrisaw, Apr 3, 2021.

1. chrisaw

chrisaw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey all!

I know there has been lots of discussions about dashcams on being installed on the Prime's but I'm still trying figure out how the rear dashcam can be installed neatly?

On my old Prius (Gen2) I attached it to the headlining and that worked pretty well but that was a much cheaper car and one I didn't mind cutting holes in the headlining for - on my 2018 Prime I am WAY less inclined to do that!

Any guidance (especially with pictures) would be incredibly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. chrisaw

chrisaw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With a bit of faffing I've done a temp install with the wire dangling down in the boot (trunk for you US folks) area but I have a plan.

Just need to figure out how to remove the plastic trim away from the carbon fibre and I should be able to install it nearly.

For now though - the car is new to me and I live in an area where folks don't care if they hit your car and just gleefully drive away so wanted to get this thing in and recording asap!!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. citiprius

citiprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I've documented my installation here, hope it helps:
    Install dash camera with review view camera - Google Docs

4. chrisaw

chrisaw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the guide.

In the end I took a different approach - popped out the cable cover tube in the rear hatch at both ends and with a LOT of faffing around managed to get the rear dashcam cable through it.

Then I popped off most of the rear hatch panels with removal tools - being extremely careful to avoid damaging the carbon fibre panel.

Wired the cable around the side of the hatch panels and around to where I needed it (bottom panel of glass in the lid - gets awesome visibility of reg plates from there since we have plates on front and rear of all cars in the UK.)

Popped all the panels back on and job done - took a couple of hours of fiddling and I used a much thinner wire wrapped around the wire I wanted to pull and feed the bigger wire through the tube but it worked out (btw, my advice - bring string!!)

Hopefully these crappy notes of mine help someone do the same thing - I'll provide a picture of the final product when I get a few mins if anyone wants.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. tchan2700

tchan2700 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Steve Pease and stomish like this.
  6. stomish

stomish Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Sweet, gonna pick one of these up, thank you!!