1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear door is not opening from the inside

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by IBGPRIUS, Jan 23, 2015.

1. IBGPRIUS

IBGPRIUS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have Toyota Prius 2006. Last night suddenly the rear right door didn't open from inside and it still doesn't want to open from inside. It opens from outside OK but is not opening from inside regardles what we are trying to do. It only one door misbehaves, the right rear door. Is any body has any suggestions on how to fix this problem and why it happened?

2. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    check your child safety lock setting

3. IBGPRIUS

IBGPRIUS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We tried all possible combinations but nothing works and the lock will effect other doors not just one door. But thank you for trying and fast response.

4. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Really? The switch on the inside edge of the right rear door? If you move that to the lock position, it will affect other doors?
    That's the first I've heard of that.

If the child safety locks are both set to OFF, and the door still won't open from the inside, I'd say you're going to have to pull the door panel off and figure out what broke. Sounds like some mechanical failure between the inside door lever and the actuator.

#4 Yakoma, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
    xpcman likes this.
  5. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Central lock works on that door? And it always opens from outside (when unlocked) and newer from inside? If those are true it has to be either:

-Linkage between interior door handle and door lock actuator assembly. You should be able to tell that it’s broken by the feel and sound coming from when you try to use inside door handle. If it’s broken you need to remove door panel to see what’s broken.

-Child safety lock or its mechanism, basically the door lock actuator assembly. Test to see if you can get it to work by mowing it to child lock and not child lock state.

6. IBGPRIUS

IBGPRIUS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you every body. We tried the door lock back and forth and nothing happened. The door is not opeining from inside. There is nor any clicks nor feeling of any movements. You are right, we have to remove the panel and see what happened to the link.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check the child lock switch on the door jamb, and report back here with results.(y)

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you aware we are talking about a different locking mechanism than the lock switch by the door open handle? The one we are talking about is called the Child lock" -- see your owner's manual for a picture of where the lock is. It is a black mechanical switch on the door egde located under where the door catches the car body. It has a label that says child lock and indicates the on and off position. You can only see the lock when the door is open as it on the inside edge of the door and concealed when the door is closed.

hope this helps.

Clarknyny and Kingnukuafe like this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think he's in the garage with the door panel off...

10. IBGPRIUS

IBGPRIUS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you very much for explaining me where the child lock is located and how to find it. I have this car for mofre than 8 years and never new about that child lock in the door. I rased the lever of this lock and the door is now working. Thank you very much. I don't understand how it become active but it doesn't matter. I'll know now about the "child lock".
    Thank you every body.

RojaRosie and Kingnukuafe like this.
  11. Kingnukuafe

Kingnukuafe New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes it did with mine, just unlocked now. Thanks for your post.

12. Clarknyny

Clarknyny New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had the same problem and your description & remedy worked! Thanks!

13. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On some cars the child lock lever pokes out enough that it is prone to catching on clothing, shopping bags, and the like, so that a passenger accidentally sets it. It would be nice if there was a dash display to tell the driver when they are set, but no car I have ever owned had that.