1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear driver-side door lock won't unlock

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 94hawk213, Feb 26, 2018.

1. 94hawk213

94hawk213 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tried looking through the posts, but couldn't quite find the answers I needed. My rear driver-side door lock won't unlock with the inside front driver-side switch or with the fob. I see the lock trying to move, but it won't go all the way. My other locks work fine, and my fob works fine. May I safely assume that the actuator has failed?

Also, can anyone point to video or image instructions? I saw another thread for replacing just the small motor, but that will take more time than I have, and the pictures were not up any more.

Thank you!

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds to me like an actuator failure. I replaced the driver's door actuator on my wife's '07. It was a royal pain to install, but I managed. Not sure if the rear is easier to reach or not.

For a video, I'd suggest just googling something like "gen 2 prius rear door actuator video" or something like that.

Here's a rather lengthy thread on it here on PC that might give you some insight.

edthefox5 likes this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh jerry memorys of that actuator man that sucked.

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. 94hawk213

94hawk213 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, Jerry. I tried Googling and couldn't find a good second generation video. Unfortunately, the link you provided was to the post I mentioned with the broken picture links.

5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, the pictures were broken, probably because the poster used Photobucket and they quit allowing free display on 3rd party web sites. Gotta pay now, and somehow they are still in business. [Edit to add: Hmmm. Web site won't show "G o t t a," even though it shows in the edit screen as I type right now. Even with quotes around it! :confused:]

Anyway, I had no pictures when I did mine. Just fumbled my way through it. It wasn't complicated; just physically hard to get that little shaft lined up. I'm not sure how you would even be able to get helpful pictures of it since it's such tight quarters.

@edthefox5, it sure did!! Actually, Todd's helper tried first & couldn't get it. So Todd stepped in and we thought he finally got it. After I got home, I discovered that it still wasn't fully functional and spent another hour or so abusing my hands and fingers. :(

#5 jerrymildred, Feb 27, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    edthefox5 likes this.