1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear end sag

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by mathewwarner, Jun 16, 2011.

1. mathewwarner

mathewwarner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a 1" hitch on my prius and use a Thule bike rack. When I put our two bikes on the back of the car it tends to sag quite a bit. Is there a stiffer spring available to keep the back up when I haul the bikes?

2. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, I assume you mean a 1.25" hitch. How heavy are your bikes?
    I don't think it should sag like that. Are your shocks still good? (Lean on the back end of the car and bounce it up and down a couple times, then let go. It should return to a stopped position after one bounce.)

3. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The rear on 2004-2009 already has coilovers. An airbag solution is not possible. The problem is that the spring rate is too low. Unfortunately, the only commercially available stiffer springs that will fit also include a 1" drop typically. Thus, the solutions are custom springs or using rubber donuts in between the coils.

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At 134k, my struts were weak and my springs were sagging. If you have high mileage then you may be in the same boat. I would suggest new struts and a custom rear spring set. You could get oem springs for the front or a used set off a low mileage salvage for cheap. :)

The manufacturer of plug in EV kits usually have good contacts for custom spring manufactures.

1 person likes this.
  6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately, rear end sag seems to be a problem for most people. :rolleyes:

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not me. I got buns of steel! lol

8. mathewwarner

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am at 142000 right now. The car does not bounce when I try to bounce it so the struts seem ok. I imagine the springs have lost some of their ability to "hold" the car after all of the miles.
    I don't want to lower it, just keep it stock.
    With coil overs aren't they springs and struts as one unit?

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My car passed the "bounce test" but I could feel the loss of strut integrity when pulling out of a driveway. It would sink pretty hard and fast when going off the "curb" and it wouldn't rebound well. Usually struts are worn by 60k so I'd say yours are definitely worn, just not broken. :)

I wouldn't recommend lowering it for your situation which is why I recommended looking for low mileage or new OEM front springs and customs for the rear.

True coil-overs like Mac recommends are different than the OEM setup. They usually have a screw-based adjustment which allows you to customize your ride height. Unfortunately most of them also start off lower so those may not work in your situation. Have you looked for custom springs yet?

10. mathewwarner

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III

A little bit, tried the tire shop and they did not have any advice. Looked online a bit, but did not have much luck.
    I may check with my mechanic first.

11. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A