1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Ended - Just Can't Believe it!

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DrivingSomewhere, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Mike Rosenzweig

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Say that the blame goes to the idiot moped driver for being slow in the left lane. Mopeds should not even be on a freeway at all. Perhaps partial blame on pickup driver. ZERO blame on Prius V driver.

DrivingSomewhere likes this.
  2. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Idiots are people, too.
    It's possible that by protecting the "idiot" he saved a life, even if his sacrifice wasn't acknowledged.

Sad situation but it could have been worse.

3. DrivingSomewhere

DrivingSomewhere New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    So 2k1Toaster and everyone else, do you have any suggestions on how to fight to have the car written off?

4. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    If they're fighting you on this, get a lawyer and sign nothing. Who are you dealing with, your insurance or the other driver's? Some of the bargaining chips on the table are the car, personal injury, loss of income, expenses, pain and suffering, and the list goes on.

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Depends on who is fighting and how close they are. If the total damage they assess is half of their determined value it will be much difficult if you are within 10%.

Make sure you get genuine Toyota parts, not aftermarket parts. No aftermarket doors or panels. That's a price hike. Full car paint respray. Get a frame expert to measure if the frame is straight or not. That will pretty much immediately total it or not. Depreciated value, all sorts of things.

More details needed.

6. DrivingSomewhere

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    2k1Toaster and rdgrimes, right now we are dealing with insurance. I have found an independent body shop (not affiliated with the insurance company). The guy at the body shop took the time and explained in detail about the process of working with insurance, the repairs and how he does them and that he repairs with Toyota parts. (This body shop had great reviews through google search and through Angies List.)He explained that because the Prius V is a new model, it is unlikely that there are many after market parts or used parts available - made sense.

I have no idea if an appraiser will write off the vehicle. People that have seen the pictures or the vehicle have indicated both ways - the insurance company should write it off and the insurance company will fix the vehicle.

If they are repairing the vehicle, my first concern is that it is as safe after the repairs as it was before, and that the whole vehicle is repaired correctly to prevent putting my family at risk. And then, there is accelerated depreciated value. Who in their right mind would buy this vehicle with this accident record unless they got it for bargain basement value, i.e., free. And then it may be used for parts only. Aside from safety, fuel economy, vehicle features, etc. about the Prius vehicles, one of the notable features is that they have resale value. That's all gone now.

I am grateful to be safe and in one piece and able to write this post. Thank you, Toyota!

7. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Get a new one from insurance for sure, fight it! :mad:

Agape likes this.
  8. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    So your response to seeing a moped in front of you would be to plow right over the moped?

9. PLSPUSH

PLSPUSH Active Member

my response is.... that he is not responsibility, some times you have to let nature take it's course

10. KeinoDoggy

KeinoDoggy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Really?!?!
    I don't know how to reply to that remark.

11. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have sent you private conversation with piece of advise.

12. DrivingSomewhere

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you, EVERYONE!

The car was TOTALED!!!

The advice given resulted in our being prepared for our meeting with the adjuster who, I must say, did not fit the stereotypical bad guy. He was articulate, knowledgeable and concerned about repairing such a damaged vehicle despite that fact that it was a new. He also had really great things to say about Toyota cars.

So thank you to everyone.

What I take away from this is:

- have the phone number of a reputable towing company in your car at all times.
    - know a reputable body shop (I now have two).
    - make sure you have enough insurance.
    - make sure you have the right kind of insurance.
    - know important details about your insurance like what are the write off ratios.
    - ask tons of questions of everybody - learn, learn, learn.
    - be prepared for your meeting with the adjuster and bring your information such as comparable vehicle.
    - have the name of a few reputable Orthopedic Surgeons so that if you need to be checked out quickly after an accident, you know where to go. I do not recommend accident/chiropractic places after an accident based on what I have learned during the last 3 weeks.
    - write EVERYTHING down such as all phone calls, meeting details, how you are feeling emotionally and physically. Keep all correspondence from everyone in one place.

This takes tons of time, so just do it. You'll be happy you are prepared. Be careful who you divulge details about the accident to and be wary when you are searching for help and advice. If it doesn't seem right or it doesn't make sense, it probably is not right. Also, consider the motivation of people sharing information/advice with you. For example, I found a very reputable body shop and they told me the car was repairable and they wanted all that work. I am sure it would have been profitable for them. Although they did not get to repair this vehicle, I will send work their way in the future.

Again, thank you to all of you on PriusChat! And thank you, Toyota!

13. DrivingSomewhere

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Now... I have to find a replacement vehicle. Definitely another Prius V!!!

14. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Congrats on getting the declared a total loss.

However, maybe that "reputable" body shop told you it was repairable simply because they wanted all the business and money that would come their way? Never mind whether it would ever be as safe and crashworthy the next time it was in an accident. Just saying.

SCH-I535

Merkey likes this.
  15. DrivingSomewhere

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you.

You are right about the motives of the body shop, however, multiple searches from reputable sources and phones calls with the knowledgeable, body shop manager made it easy to select this shop. We were well aware that the body shop IS in the business of making money. The adjuster commented that this was a good shop and we would be well taken care of. I was grateful for his input because he did not have to make any comments.

16. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good job. Take care of your health now

This account has not been activated, click this link to activate the account.

17. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Also, have a recording device handy in the vehicle at all times. Since today every phone has a camera built in, just carry your phone. If you don't have a camera enabled phone, then keep a disposable camera in the glovebox. As soon as an accident happens before anybody moves the car, get out (hopefully you can!) and snap pictures.

If you can, record all conversations you have. When dealing with the insurance companies I refuse to telephone them unless I use my Google Voice number. They are recording you but they won't give that to you so you can prove something they said. They will only use it against you. So have your own recording. Google Voice allows it easily with transcriptions. If I can, I email. Written correspondence is the best evidence.

If you are dealing with another party, like the other person in the accident, a photograph of them as well as recording your conversations right there on the spot could prove very handy. Someone that says it is all their fault and will pay you one day will probably not keep that obligation the next day.

Good luck on your search for your new Prius V!

18. DrivingSomewhere

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Wise words!

Photos were taken with my camera phone at the time of the accident and even at the towing company's storage area twice and then more photos at the body shop as the adjuster marked up the vehicle. There was no way to know which of these would be worthwhile and every time I stepped away from the car, a new angle was thought of.

The first time I took regular straight-on photos at the time of the accident. The second time I got underneath the car, laid my phone on the ground and took photos. It is hard to determine what was worthwhile for but someone who knows cars, they would know what they were looking at. The third time tarps were removed from the roof and pics were taken of the roof and more pics on the inside of the crinkled roof. During this time frame, I stopped at the dealership twice and took pics of the inside of the vehicle as a reference of what the V used to look like and so we had a comparison. I found the images of the wrecked V strong embedded in my memory that it was difficult to accurately remember what it looked like before the accident. This way we had before and after photos. The last group of photos was at the body shop. As the garage guys removed parts of the vehicle, the adjuster marked the car and I just kept taking photos.

Pics of the other vehicle were taken which included the plate and damage to his vehicle but not the other driver. Photos were taken of the debris scattered across the road as well. We were glad we did this because the police report stated that the road was wet when the road was bone dry and our pics show this.

I was unaware that Google voice offers the option to record calls. I will look into this. Good to know.

19. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you do record someone, make sure to let them know in many states in the US and many countries across the world. If you secretly record them and the confess, the evidence is illegal here and actually is a crime so you can get in trouble. With the insurance companies when they say "call may be monitored/recorded blah blah blah", well they just put you on notice it was being recorded. You have to do the same.

From Google Voice
    Recording calls

There are different laws that apply to call recording, so check your current state and Federal laws before using this feature. Some states require both parties to consent to any recorded conversation, while other states require one party to consent to the recording.
    To assist in the compliance of these laws, we provide an automated verbal announcement to parties on a call when call recording has been initiated and when it's been stopped.
    To get started simply enable the call recording feature:
    1. Click the gear icon and select Settings.
    2. Click the Calls tab.
    3. Select the checkbox next to Call Options.
    Once you've enabled it you can turn it on during a call by pressing 4 at any time to record your incoming calls. You can do it when you first accept a call, or any time after it's started. To stop the recording, press 4 again or hang up.

20. DrivingSomewhere

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Very Cool!

This might be helpful in ensuring follow through with my teenagers like when they say, "please let me do this. I promise I will..."

Parenthood - it's a joy and a curse!