1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear-Ended - Options?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MartinUK, Feb 15, 2020.

1. MartinUK

MartinUK New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Obviously not the first to experience this but our Prius was rear-ended in a domino collision where a drunk driver smacked my wife Ford Focus and that was smashed into the back of my Prius gen 2. 2006 plate.

The damage you can see from the images is not pretty and due to the cars age I'm 99.9% sure it'll be considered a write off.
    IMG_8597b.jpg IMG_8598b.jpg IMG_8599b.jpg

What I really could use some advice on is the re-usability of parts in the car as we replaced the hybrid battery less than a year ago (OEM part fitted by Toyota dealer) as well as a number of other parts such as radiator, pump and... just last week, all the brake disks, etc...

Timing wise this could have been just a teensy bit better!!

I appreciate that the images only tell a part of the story but as a UK driver I'm wondering just what the options are in turns of buy-back of the car if it is written off, likely cost of such an option and whether it would be worth using it as a parts bin to fit out a different car but similar model that was off the road for less traumatic reasons. Or simply as parts to be retrieved and sold as used (eg: Battery, exhaust replaced 3 years ago, etc..)

Any suggestions and input welcome even if it is bad news...

Attached Files:

2. MartinUK

MartinUK New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Just to add, the car still drives, no warnings, errors or similar... so the battery doesn't appear to be damaged (in my limited experience)...

Also, to note the Focus was shoved up and onto the internal buffer, smashing into the rear tailgate. The rear windscreen is intact still if that's any use as an indicator.