1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Ended Yesterday - Some Questions

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by m8547, Sep 27, 2018.

1. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Like the title says, I was rear-ended yesterday when the car in front of me unexpectedly stopped at a yellow light, and the car behind me didn't notice until too late. It was pretty minor, but hard enough to damage my bike rack and push my car forward a few feet.

The driver behind me hit my bike rack which was attached to a hitch, so those parts took all the impact. The bike rack is a bit bent and damaged, but I'm wondering about where the hitch is attached. It's attached between the metal bumper and the "frame" of the car with 8 bolts. I don't see any damage there, but is there anything I'm missing? Should I take it to the dealer or a body shop and have someone look at it, even though the hitch is aftermarket? It's hard to even find someone who's willing to do an estimate around here. The body shop I called so far wouldn't even look at it until the end of next month.

When I got hit, I was already stopped, but my car made three fast beeps. I'm guessing that's the collision avoidance system (since my car was being pushed towards the stopped car ahead of me)? Afterwards I noticed it had switched itself to neutral. Is there anything I need to have checked out as a result of this? It seems to drive like normal.

2. 2015BlizzardPriusFour

2015BlizzardPriusFour Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Honestly, I’d have it checked.

Frame damage can sometimes be hidden and not evident in the area where it happened but further down the line.

iPad ?

Elektroingenieur likes this.
  3. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I wonder if the seat belt pretensioners fired? If yes do they need replacing?

4. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I wonder about that too. But I think I would have noticed it, and there should be a warning light if it needs to be replaced.

5. schja01

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I would hope that too.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @m8547 do you have collision insurance?

7. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yes, but the driver behind me is at fault and I have their insurance info. If I work with my insurance, I have to pay my deductible ($1000) for any work done, and they will refund it if/when they find the other driver to be at fault.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I agree with @2015BlizzardPriusFour's kind suggestion to have the car checked professionally. Besides a close visual inspection, ideally in good light and using a vehicle lift, a body shop would be able to compare the reference dimensions, described in my previous posting, to detect non-obvious damage.
    Indeed. The red SRS (airbag) warning light should come on for six seconds after the car is started and then turn off, indicating that the system has passed its primary self tests. If the SRS warning light stays on, or if it doesn’t come on at all, then the system is likely to have been damaged or expended in the collision.

I’d suggest basic functional checks of as many electrical systems as you can—interior and exterior lights, backup camera, speakers, back door opener switch, charge inlet, charge lid and fuel lid opener systems, rear wiper and washer, and so on. For greater peace of mind, you could also have a dealer or repair shop use the Health Check feature of a Toyota Techstream diagnostic system to retrieve any diagnostic trouble codes stored in the car’s computers; not every detected condition has a warning light or message.

jerrymildred likes this.
  9. crewdog

crewdog Acting Ensign Prius Prime

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've been rear ended twice in a Prius;

Once in my 2006, and although the damage seemed to be superficial enough for the guy who hit me to take off and ultimately be charged with a violation, a trip to a reputable dealer body shop left a bill for about 2000 plus, which was paid by insurance.

Other time a rental 2011 Prius was totaled out when we stopped for a police officer with blue light trying to cross traffic and van behind us wasnt paying attention and hit us at 35 mph. no injuries, but dang.

Body shop estimate is free, and can be used for insurance and evidence.

Good luck.

10. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Never a bad deal to have it checked out. Keep all documentation. Also, keep us posted.

(It should be a crime to run into a PRIME.)

11. schja01

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Actually it usually IS a crime to run into another car.