1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Ended!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jimnjo, Dec 28, 2007.

1. mcbean

mcbean New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for your replies. It looks like I can get new stickers if I keep the car but am out of luck if it's totaled. I've been reading some other sites and there is a possibility to get more money for a Prius with stickers since its value is much higher. We'll see if that happens. In the meantime, I'll wait to hear what the adjuster says. I love the car but it'll certainly suffer diminished resale value.

2. Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast Senior Fjord Architect

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Re: Rear Ended in the Bay Area

So, then here's a related question for anyone who might know:

My Prius has the stickers from CA. When we moved here to MN, we weren't sure this move was permanent. There were still a couple months left on the old registration, but we ended up needing to register it here in January. In case we didn't make it to the office on time, and thinking that doing so might hold that plate/VIN, I submitted a PNO on the California registration.

When we got it registered here in MN the day after filing the PNO, but still before the original ran out, we got new MN plates. But because the lien is still on the car, they wouldn't try to transfer the title to Minnesota until the lien is released. So it's still titled in CA, and the title is being held by Toyota Financial.

We're still not 100% sure we're staying (more like 90% but getting more certain daily). Even if we don't stay, at least one person we know back in Los Angeles is interested in buying the car and paying a premium because it has the stickers. I assume that if we brought it back and re-registered it there, that a) the old plate would still be valid if we paid the full fees, and b) the stickers would still be valid.

Anyone want to disabuse me of that notion?

3. Submarine Dude

Submarine Dude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Rear Ended in the Bay Area

Should be good to go on both counts. The stickers are registered to the VIN, not the driver (or plates). If you sell the car the new owner can have the name changed on the sticker registration and all is well. The above link actually does provide useful information (Who'd a thunk it from a govt. agency?)