1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Hatch Double-take Issue

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by krmcg, Aug 4, 2016.

1. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I noticed that recently when I am opening the locked rear hatch of my 2016 Prius I need to perform a secondary function that I don't think I had to do from the beginning.
    When I touch the pad to open the hatch (with the fob close), the car reacts with a "beep" and unlocks the hatch - but it won't open. I have to let go and re-pull on the pad to open the hatch.
    Does anyone else have this strange double-take issue?

kithmo likes this.
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've had sort of a similar evolving relationship with the door and hatch locks on my Gen 3, which I've only had since May. At first this electronic lock magic was all new and cool to me, and I was moving slowly and deliberately and oohing and aahing, and it always worked.

Then I got into a phase where it wasn't new to me any more, and I got faster about reaching for the handle and yanking, and started to have more misfires where I would have yanked too fast, and sort of wedged the mechanism in mid-unlock, so I'd have to let go and try again.

Now I seem to have learned what the limits are, so I'm not having those misfires any more. In all of this, I don't think anything about the car ever changed, they were just three stages of my own learning process, interacting with the car.

I'm guessing that could be what you're seeing too.

-Chap

CR94 and krmcg like this.
  3. ssdesigner

ssdesigner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Aqua
    Model:
    Persona
    That would be my guess as well. The driver door lock/unlock on the door handle is weird like that too....but then I realize that it's not unlocking because I never locked it :p

krmcg likes this.
  4. Autoist

Autoist Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yep, same has happened to me. I noticed that if I don't put much lift pressure on the big button it will unlock the car but not unlatch. What I think is happening is that the latch is electrically opened for a brief moment and then returns to the latched position. If you aren't lifting when you press the button so that the hatch starts to move up then you get the behavior described.

krmcg likes this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's been that way since 2004. This is one trick to unlock all doors as you approach the car (for those who have the default SKS setup where the driver's door only opens the driver's door). This way, I don't have to program the SKS to "Global unlock" for all doors when unlocking the driver's side door (2nd out of 3 unlocking options)

However, on the 2016, there is a global unlock from the driver's side door. You just have to grab and hold the driver's door handle (default is 2 or 2.5 seconds.. it's quite long). I've had limited success with that function.

6. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That happens if you let go the button before lifting sufficiently to clear the second stage of the latch. That's more likely when the gasket sticks a little, or I try to open it left-handedly.

7. Autoist

Autoist Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've found the trick is to keep constant contact on the inside of the handle. If you let go and try again (long hold) it doesn't seem to work, seems to need a locked state first.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, to open it? I just double tap and it'll open (first tap to unlock, 2nd tap to release)

9. Autoist

Autoist Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, just start lifting up on the large button and the hatch will open after unlock/unlatch.

10. liquidtenmillion

liquidtenmillion Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just in case anyone is interested on gen 4 you can configure the lock to either unlock and open as you hold the button in for a second and push up in one movement, or to have it so the first button press only unlocks it, and you have to release and push again to open it. A dealer or carista app can change this.

pilotgrrl and RCO like this.