1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear hatch handle broke off. What part(s) to replace?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DoubleGreatRock, Mar 23, 2022.

1. DoubleGreatRock

DoubleGreatRock New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I've attached a picture of my situation. The rear handle fell off when pulling it one day and I would like to order a replacement. However, I can't seem to find the part number or name on Toyota's parts website. Can anyone help? I assume I'll also need to get some new cables to connect it as well.

Attached Files:

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you want to have it match your paint color it's kind of a hassle, but if you don't, It's a pretty easy fix that takes about 20 minutes: Primed Rear Tailgate Liftgate Garnish Handle Trim Fit for Toyota Prius 2004-2009 | eBay

jerrymildred and ydpplqbd like this.
  3. JahT

JahT Member

That just happened to me, but mine didn't rip completely off and I was able to repair the plastic mounts using plastic epoxy and use new body panel clips from the auto parts store. After repairing I put new hatchback lifts in to reduce the pressure I have to put on that.
    I used "Super Glue Plastic Fusion Epoxy Adhesive, #15277"

Tip: when you have the interior back panel off the hatchback be sure to snug up the spoiler screws too, mine had loosened since 2008 and I didn't notice until I put it all back together. Also consider getting a new rubber button cover pad for the latch button, and quieting any rattles with the license plate (mine sounds solid when it closes now).

cyberpriusII likes this.
  4. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here’s a good video

parts

Ultimate_Combination likes this.
  5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Think I have a couple black ones sitting in the shop...

SFO likes this.
  6. BuyJapanese

BuyJapanese Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree with replacing the hydraulic lifter arms at the same time to reduce stress on the handle. Very cheap and easy. Just now I unsuccessfully tried to find a link for the aftermarket garnish/handle that I bought several years ago. It's metal so sturdier; it came pre-painted to try to match the factory paint but it's not a perfect match. Still, it functions just fine after 2-3 years. I think I paid like $120 for that.

7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Was the entire piece stamped from metal? That would be a good find!

8. BuyJapanese

BuyJapanese Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Okay I found it. No, not all metal, but reinforced. Only $70. Mine is still in good shape 2.5 years later. Like all the reviews say, the color is not a perfect match.

I suppose if you care about color you could get one of these and also get a can of the right color paint and clearcoat and repaint it yourself.

This link is for beige or "driftwood pearl" but they have one for each color of gen 2 prius.

9. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Pretty easy to paint off of the vehicle. No masking

10. Toyotally04

Toyotally04 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey'all

I got this problem last week. I found the YT video a few days ago. I got the Amazon replacement part today.

I'm at the step where I have to detach the old garnish handle from the wiring electronics to the button. But I couldn't find the right bit for the screw, and I stripped all three heads.

Anyone have an idea what the measurements for those 3 screws were so hopefully I can find replacement at a local hardware shop?

Thx
    tty04

11. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Those three fasteners are Philips head machine screw (or whatever the Japanese equivalent is) M4x0.7 size with a length of 10mm under the head. The diameter of the head is 6.7mm, but it has an integral flat washer with a diameter of 9.6mm. Think it's called a pan washer head.

I would think any M4 machine screw 6-10mm would probably work fine, regardless of the head style.
    These type fasteners are typically available in stainless steel at lowes or home depot in those specailty fastener drawers in the hardware section. Usually, 3 or 4 to a bag for $3-ish.

Will look like these, just shorter.

(100 Pcs) M4-0.7 X 12mm Stainless Steel Pan Washer Head (PWH) Phillips Drive Machine Screws Full Thread, Stainless Steel 304(18-8) - Search Shopping (bing.com)

#11 TMR-JWAP, Jan 23, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2024
    Toyotally04 likes this.