1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Hatch Lifts

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Kurt Weiske, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Kurt Weiske

Kurt Weiske Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The rear hatch on my 2014 PiP has gotten harder to lift, and unless you get it more than halfway up has gotten into the bad habit of closing on top of my head - ouch!

Toyota quoted $140 to replace, I found these -

for $22.09 on Amazon and swapped them out in 5 minutes - pry the clip off of the ends, pull them off, and snap on the new ones. If you do it yourself, watch the YouTube videos and either have a friend hold the hatch up or use a board to hold it up.

It's so refreshing having the hatch open like it used to.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The aftermarket ones are not as good as the original ones. They open with way too much force, unlike the soft gentle OEM ones. But for the price, it may be a good alternative

elementnomore and dig4dirt like this.
  3. elementnomore

elementnomore Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'd like to 2nd and 3rd that comment about the aftermarket ones opening up way too hard. For years I hold back the lift gate, I wish I bought OEM pistons.

4. Kurt Weiske

Kurt Weiske Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't see any issue with the rate of lift on the new struts, but your mileage may vary.

Montgomery and elementnomore like this.
  5. elementnomore

elementnomore Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am not in front of the car but I purchased them from Rock Auto, I think (99%) they are Sachs struts. They open with a hard bounce bounce if I just lift up and let go. It's nice to hear you have no issues as the OEM are pricey.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If they're behaving like OEM sounds good. They're only currently available on US Amazon, and they won't ship to Canada. CDN Amazon did allow me to put them on wish list.

Our OEM's still "function", but lost about 50% of their oomph after maybe a couple of years.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    See that you're a bit obsessed with perfection, I would recommend you avoid these things. The strong force of these aftermarket struts will make your hatch seem like it'll get ripped off the hinges every time they open (I mean that literally).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In light of this:

Maybe it's a different manufacturer, or it's been revised?

But yeah, thanks for the caution. And I suspect they'll be on "wish list" for quite some time.

9. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I read some reviews mentioning that so I installed just one aftermarket and saved the other till either the other original or that first aftermarket strut gives out. Works great; about $25 online for the pair.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In my 2010 the struts wouldn’t fully open when it was cold outside, and I’d bump my head on the hatch. So these different rates of opening speed may be temperature dependent.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. underdog

underdog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I did this. Just install one aftermarket. Seems to be working for the last year.

fotomoto likes this.
  12. Vinylrobot

Vinylrobot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I replaced my 2012's with the aftermarket ones and they open very fast, I agree. I can't see that being something to complain about or spend 500% more $ on to buy OEM, are you worried about getting hit in the face? Who cares? Eventually they will get old and worn and calm down, I like it spring open, I just don't like how you still have to initiate the opening tho and raise it a few inches, major design flaw, I like trunks you can pop to place stuff in when your hands are full, I shouldn't have to assist the trunk to open.

13. Daniel Weiss

Daniel Weiss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just called my local Toyota parts dealer for my 2010 model, they're $42 a piece. So not obscene, but a little over 3 times the price.