Rear/Hatch Sun Shade?

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Air_Boss, Jun 28, 2019.

1. jzchen

jzchen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I got a chance to go to Daiso yesterday. The rear shade is way too big to fit the v. I guess my memory was confused. Sorry about that!

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks. I sourced enough material from TechnologyLK (Gordon Glass) -- "Dot Matrix Static Cling Perforated Graphic Window Film - Black" -- for two attempts and will see how it goes this weekend. It is very high UV rejection but moderate 'tint'.

3. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    re: TechnologyLK (Gordon Glass) -- "Dot Matrix Static Cling Perforated Graphic Window Film - Black"

As a quick followup, this approach worked like a charm. Interior temperatures with the car parked (rear window towards the south/sun) are WAY down and the A/C cools the car down quicker.

I can highly recommend the material, which is robust, yet a cinch to apply. I measured a template, cut the material slightly larger, used a small squeegee to smooth out the cling material, from the top/center outward and downward, and tucked the edges under the bezel/trim with a wide nylon panel removal tool.

One thing worth mentioning is the defroster grid lines create a bit of a Moire' pattern against the dot matrix. Not a biggie while driving, but noticeable when parked.

Using half of a 36" x 36" piece (which arrived as a generous 40" x 36" piece) the total cost including tax and shipping was ~$18.00.

https://www.technologylk.com/__17/dot-matrix-static-cling-perforated-graphic-window-film.html

4. jzchen

jzchen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I noticed they have white, an even more reflective color. Is that a “legal” option? Thanks for sharing!