1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

rear hub removal

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by kfaiwoman, Sep 6, 2009.

1. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Most major brands should be fine, it's pretty simple and not Hybrid specific, a bearing, hub with studs, and an ABS sensor with connector.

2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The one that say's "Moog" looks like a Gen II part.

3. John B.

John B. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Just replaced a rear hub on an 01 with 146K miles on it. I tried a 3 pound maul, BK Plaster, 10 pound sledge, pipewrench, propane torch. I probably loosed it a little with all the hammering, but the way I finally got it to move was by taking a long, sharp coal chisel to the seam between the hub and the brake back plate. The pipe wrench idea seems like a good one, but the car was in the garage and I couldn't get a cheater bar on it. Looks like a great place for some factory installed anti-seize. Sure put it on this time. Not sure how long the non-Toyota bearing hub I put in will last. Sure a lot quieter ride now..

4. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have done a few Gen I and Gen II rear wheel bearings. This is what has worked for me. Remove the four mounting bolts from the back side. They come out with out without too much fuss. I then knock out all of the wheel studs. Remove the brake pads. Slip two 1/2" bolts through opposite wheel stud holes. Thread a nut on to each bolt behind the wheel mounting flange. The end of the bolts will press against the brake backing plate. The nuts press against the back of the wheel mounting flange. The bolts will put dents in the brake backing plate. Tighten the crap out of the bolts and nuts until the bearing pops out. Next time I am going to try an air chisel to set up some vibration after the bolts have a good amount of tension on them. I have had bearings pull the inside out of the outside using this method.

Brad

5. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    if you have an air chisel use it to "rotate" the assembly a bit each direction after the bolts are out. That and PB Blaster will make it come out much easier.

6. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Changed my rear hubs last weekend, and the tips in this thread helped.

I used a 14" piece of unistrut (also called strut channel) attached in the middle to the lugs, which gave me a surface to knock out the hub with a sledge from the rear. The hard part was the brake plates were rusted onto the hubs as well. I had to remove the brake shoes and two lug bolts, and then used the long bolt through the lug hole trick to push the plate back. After getting a gap between the brake plate and hub I was able to pry it off with a pry bar and screwdriver. Took me the better part of the weekend and felt like a wrestling match, my muscles were sore for days after.

The good news is my car no longer sounds like its rolling on a set of knobby all-terrain Jeep tires. (y)

('01 Prius w/ 142k miles -- both rear wheel bearings where making the noise.)

#26 ammdb, Nov 14, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2021