1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear License frame rattle?

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by TheyCmeNow, Jul 2, 2013.

1. TheyCmeNow

TheyCmeNow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I installed generic chrome license frames on the front and rear. It seems that whenever I'm driving, the rear frame rattles with every bump in the road. I assume that this happens with any frame regardless of material. Have any of you noticed this? Does removing the frame solve this or does the license also rattle a bit?

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I drive a regular Prius, but found the similar problem.
    When I installed my plates with a metal frame (which I really, really like) I was disappointed to find that the pre-drilled mounting holes on the hatch were only two...for the top two holes on the frame.

I thought about drilling two more for the bottom. But at this point I'm too freaked out about the idea of drilling holes into the back of my almost brand new hatch.

My temporary (possibly permanent?) solution was to buy a cheap sponge at the dollar tree. Getting the width and size just right was a bit of experimentation....but at $1.00 for a package or even a single...which I can use anyway...I had no problem finding one that fit just right.

Then I attached the sponge to the back of the bottom of the plate itself. Now it doesn't rattle when I close the hatch, nor have I noticed the rattle when I drive.

TheyCmeNow likes this.
  3. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Rubber baby bumpers. :) You can get some rubber bumpers that screw into the bottom plate slot and act as a bump stop for the plate frame.

Something like this... but there are many different designs.

[​IMG]

valuequest, minkus and TheyCmeNow like this.
  4. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I use foam tape that can be found at the automotive store or hardware store.

ztanos likes this.
  5. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    You can also buy self-adhesive soft pads or rubber pads, designed as "feet" for furniture to protect flooring. A couple of those on the underside of the frame will set you right. Tiny ones the diameter of a pen should do it, depending on your frame. This is basically just another variation on the same theme as the preceeding posts.

self-adhesive floor saver - Google Search

6. TheyCmeNow

TheyCmeNow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Thanks for all the tips! I never could figure out why toyota only provided two holes on the top..
    I will most likely look for a set of "Rubber baby bumpers" just because my license frame has two bottom holes.

ztanos likes this.
  7. TC400

TC400 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I suffer from the same problem. I just deal with it.

8. GardenWeasel

GardenWeasel Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I bought a tube of silicone and squeezed out 4 or 5 dots on the back of the frame. Let it set up. Installed. And 3 years later I am still rattle free.

9. minkus

minkus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    My plate/dealership frame rattled. I took the frame off and bent the bottom of the plate inwards, towards the car. Only rattles a tiny bit now. Rubber/silicon/foam would probably be a good idea - hadn't thought of that.

10. Larry Greenwald

Larry Greenwald Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Interesting on some of this stuff. I just got my plates Friday and installed them right away. As I removed the plate frame at the rear, to replace the dealer paper plate, I noticed two rubber pieces at the place where the bottom of the frame would be.Is that standard on all the C models or just the 4?

I've never had any issues with plate rattling, but then again I may not be listening that hard as I have the radio on while driving. It's also possible the screws at the top may be tightened too much causing the plate to move with every little bump. Also possible the screws aren't tightened enough.

Better check them out and see.

11. StockBlak11

StockBlak11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yep. Best quick fix I could come up with was to cut about a 1/4" piece of foam from what they call a "bone sponge" (used in tiling), and put it between the body's hatchback door sheet metal and the license plate frame; I did not, hoping that the normal tension between a (lifted) license plate/frame assembly would keep it where I put it. It worked. It's still there, after two years. And the piece of foam we need to 'make' doesn't have to be from a "bone sponge" ... we just want something with a lot of compression and expansion room, with low resistance to force. I'd suppose even styrofoam would work in a pinch, but it doesn't compress easily or expand much; along with being very resistant to force (which would be why, I'd suppose, Toyota uses styrofoam to absorb low-speed collision force behind the bumper cover) is also not recommended.

12. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Now you mention it, mine did have two rubber pieces and I didn't have to put rubber bumpers on this time. I had assumed the dealer did it.

13. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Chjeck to see if the mounting bolts are tight and that any license plate bolts do not contact the body which would rattle against the body when 'aggravated'.

14. TheyCmeNow

TheyCmeNow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Sorry for the late reply. I couldn't find any proper "baby bumpers" for the bottom frame holes. I just stuck on two rubber "feet" onto the frame itself. They aren't perfect but the noise has been cut in half.

Attached Files:

• 067.JPG
      067.JPG
      File size:
      45.9 KB
      Views:
    ztanos likes this.
  15. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Ohhhhhh THAT'S what you meant. Ignore me, I thought you were talking about your plate rattling against your car.

I don't use number plate frames and thankfully as my plate is a non-standard size, the dealers don't have frames that fit so can't put any on for me to remove again.

16. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I was thinking for the plate itself as well, but it looks like your solution will work.

TheyCmeNow likes this.
  17. DanManTX

DanManTX Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    ztanos likes this.
  18. steveoknievo

steveoknievo Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I experienced a similar issue, mitigated mine with some door silencers. I work for a General Contractor and we put these in door jams on jobsites so the door doesn't slam into the frame. I just snagged 2 of em and put them in the notch of the lower holes where the screws would normally go. Here is a link to them on Grainger.. Locally you can get a baggie of 50 for about $0.95

BATTALION Door Silencer, Pk10 - Hanging Door Hardware - 4JG85|4JG85 - Grainger Industrial Supply

Since I wasn't sure if it was the frame against the tag or the tag against the car, this works perfectly since it spaces on both sides. No longer an issue.

19. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two